PDA

View Full Version : Hot and Dry

crazywoman53
07-08-2012, 05:27 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-08-2012/137465_Hot-and-Dry.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Hot and Dry
Year Created:
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Other
Dimension: 11 x 15
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is this weekends efforts. It is almost too late in the day to get a decent photo though.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm thinking I need to remove the rock on the right hand side.. What do you think? All C/C are welcome.

Andrewcody
07-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Yes I would take that dry grass on the right all the way down and out of the frame to the left.

How did that rock get there?

AllisonR
07-09-2012, 03:17 AM
Hmm, I like the rock. Love how the grasses on the right are so rich, and the ones on the left look almost dry. I'd add just a touch of those richer autumn-color shades to the right side, front right corner maybe, but not so much to make it monotonous. I like all the subtle colors added to the building, makes it fit right in. My favorite part though is all your trees, all that color variation for the different tree types, and the crooked tree really makes the painting much more interesting than it otherwise would be. However, on those far right 3 trees I would add a bit of some other hue - some more blue-green or some more yellow-green, as the center of these 3 trees is all one solid color.

Debzy
07-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Hi Christine, yes it certainly is a dry dusty scene! Strike a match and the rest would be history! I really like this scene, it just looks like a natural scene that you would drive past and glance at, and comment that it had a nice homely feel about it. I guess thats because in Australia that is what we see a lot of out in the country areas. I like the rocks, but I guess the one on the right is quite central, not that it bothers me but the eye does pick it up fairly quickly. Perhaps just thin it out so it isn't quite so obvious. I love the trees, and I agree the middle tree foliage is quite thick and perhaps could be separated somehow to distinguish it from the others, it looks a bit like it is holding up or supporting the other two. Overall though, once again, you have nailed the pastel work and have inspired me to do more pastels, I love the effects you can get with them and don't even mind the mess I create using them ( on myself and everywhere else I mean ) lol. It is a typical looking dry dusty scene so you have def created what you intended. Cheers and keep pastelling Debs. =))

tgsloth
07-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Good work. I think your recent posts show that you're improving from an already high level. I agree with Allison and will add one small crit: Left of the trunk of the leftmost of the 3 trees is a patch of violet, presumably background hills. I think the chroma's too high for that patch.

crazywoman53
07-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks my friends. I decided to take the rock out and I feel better about it. I felt like I was getting sucked into that lefty/righty thing I have been fighting for months now. I touched up that center tree both in the foliage and the trunk. Might have the yellow highlights too yellow though.. so will look at that for a day. That straight trunk was rather boring. The background purple Bob is my camera fighting me again.. it isn't that high of chroma in the painting so will leave that as I wanted a touch of purple there to bring interest to the house and set off the complimentary color thing. I think it is closer to the true color in this photo. I also worked on the grasses some more but trying very hard to keep the right side looking different from the left side. Think I am going to call it finished as making more changes now I think is just going to muddy things up and look overworked. What say you all?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2012/137465-Hot-and-Dry.jpg

Debzy
07-09-2012, 09:13 PM
I say leave it alone now, it's lovely! I agree if you overwork you can spoil the spontaneity of a wonderful scene and it can become static. On to the next one Christine, can't wait! Cheers Debs. =))

AllisonR
07-10-2012, 02:18 AM
It's been a pleasure to see your work, and your changes. I would also say done so you don't overwork it. Yes, it is better without the rock.

Coen1
07-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Your paintings are certainly of a high standard. This one too. Nicely balanced, great colouring. Dry indeed. I was wondering whether some sharper shadows on the house/barn would make it hotter.

crazywoman53
07-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks all.. Cohen, initially I had the shadows sharper but it seemed they became too much of a distraction so I softened them. Guess it is one of those things you can banter back and forth on depending on the mood of the day.

billmahler
07-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Nicely done, CW

eyecandy2
07-14-2012, 01:40 PM
I won't nit pick your work. It is very well done. Just push those hills on the upper left back a little and frame it. I just love how you did the tall dry grass. Lovely piece.

greensyster
07-14-2012, 09:47 PM
As they say 'You nailed it' !

crazywoman53
07-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Thanks Bill!

Phil.. you are second person who commented on that left background hill so I changed it to a lighter blue.. think it is better blue.. thanks for commenting!

Than you Marie!