PDA

View Full Version : miniature painting

Minibrush
12-12-2000, 09:05 AM
I'm new to the Wet Canvas community and am wondering if there are other painters who work in miniature out there?

I work in oils and watercolors.

[This message has been edited by Minibrush (edited December 12, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Minibrush (edited December 12, 2000).]

ldallen
12-13-2000, 03:06 PM
Hi Minibrush!

I'm new here as well and I have, coincidentally, just started painting minis - one inch scale to this point but I'm thinking about increasing the size somewhat. I've done a number of paintings for my dollhouse and roomboxes but I have just been introduced to Joan Willies (not literally) and am in the process of practicing with her wonderful book. I've also made some good contacts for mini supplies.

I have always worked in oils for my full size paintings but I really didn't know what I was doing with the minis. Hopefully now that I have a better idea, especially with the type of support to use I should, hopefully, do much better. At this point I'm using Alkyds to practice because they dry so much faster and you don't have to worry so much about dust.

Hopefully, we are not alone. I can use any and all advice I can get.

Les

paintfool
12-14-2000, 02:08 AM
Welcome to WC! Minibrush and Idallen! You guys have got to show us some of those minis! I know i'll be looking forward to seeing them!
Cheryl

------------------
paintfool

Minibrush
12-14-2000, 06:30 AM
Good to hear from you Idallen and Paintfool. Idallen I would like to suggest trying Ivorine or polymin as a support for your oils. These surfaces also work nice for watercolors. Here's another interesting idea. Many people stretch and prime (with gesso) silk for a mini canvas. I used muslin stretched and primed for several years on which I could work wet into wet with oils. I'm now in love with the depth in color I get on the Ivorine. At first I painted strictly 1:12 scale and framed for dollhouses. Now I paint more for galleries and "people houses".

Paintfool, I have a small web site with many of my current works displayed. And some of the current exhibits around the USA are also listed. I hope you enjoy.

And thanks for the replies. As everyone knows, this can be a lonely business, and having this kind of forum in cyberspace is incredible.
http://home.earthlink.net/~jrobbhall/

[This message has been edited by Minibrush (edited December 14, 2000).]

ldallen
12-14-2000, 07:26 PM
Well I'm so excited!! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif I'm just learning how to get around this site - now I have to learn how to post my paintings.

My problem with my minis at this point is that when I put them on the screen they look AWFUL - very rough looking! I did buy some Polymin but at the moment I'm using a sort of vellum just to practice with until I get the feel of it. The Polymin at,$5 a sheet, is fairly expensive to practice on. Maybe when I become more proficient I'll try some ivorine.

Minibrush - I went into your Web page and it's terrific!! The paintings are really wonderful. Keep us apprised of your show schedule. I do a little sculpting as well, but not in 1/12th usually - it's too tedious for me. I'm practicing a painting with alkyds right now but I can't make up my mind if I like them or not. For one thing I can only buy them in "sets" and the colors are very limited. Have you played with them at all?

Have a great day - glad to see you here.

Les

Minibrush
12-15-2000, 07:49 AM
Gee. Idallen, thanks for the compliments on my web site. It took a while for me to figure out how to get the images clear at only 20-50K per image, which is why they don't "thumbnail". But then again the images are nearly life size, as they are.

Here's another support you might try that I just rememered, gesso board, some call it masonite. Nice & stiff for doing detail. I usually mount my polymin pieces on a clear piece of plastic "corrugated cardboard" while painting, to achieve the same stiffness, plus it lets the light through. Hot press watercolor paper should work for all of the waterbased media. But I understand about the cost of polymin and Ivorine. I don't like wasting any myself. I've tried many surfaces and supports and have reasons to like them all. I admit I only tried Ivorine since it is so widely used among miniature artists. But seeing how the colors leap out from the painting I understand why. Oh, some artists paint on Ivory piano keys, but there are restrictions on Ivory use, especially if it's being shipped. And of course they limit the size of your composition.

I started sculpting and painting in miniature, as I wore out my wrists and hands years ago working at shoe repair. I don't get as fatigued with minis. When you figure out your images I'd love to see your work too.

I hope we can continue to bounce ideas back and forth. And that more painters of miniatures will join in with us.

Must now finish my holiday projects so I can get back to my easel.

minibrush

ldallen
12-15-2000, 04:46 PM
Minibrush - I really do think your landscapes are wonderful!

Masonite isn't too thick for painting miniatures - or does it come in different thicknesses? I assume you get it in the hardware store and have them cut it to the size(s) you want. I have been planning to buy some for my full size paintings.

I found a plexiglass book stand (for large cookbooks) at my local Linens & Things, turned it upside down and use that for an easel. It's wonderful!! It's at just the right angle so that your hand is comfortable when you are working. I'm not doing too badly with my first painting, but it's about 3" x 4". I need to do a couple of smaller ones for one of my roomboxes.

I had to laugh when you said "shoe repair." My grandfather owned five shoe repair stores in the Bronx many years ago and my father and his four brothers each worked one of them. to this day I still love the smell of a shoe repair shop. What nostalgia! I have the bell he kept on the counter of his first store.

Yes, I love "talking" to you and it would be nice if we could continue. I will tell my two contacts about this site in the hopes they will join us too, or refer other people to us. I'm sure they could share a lot with us.

Les

Phyllis Franklin
12-15-2000, 06:21 PM
MiniBrush and idallen, So glad that you are enjoying WetCanvas! I am also glad to find that we have some miniature painters surfing around the site. I sure hope that you do get others to join you.

Soon I will be moving this thread to a section below called Other Mediums. There is so much good information coming from this thread I want to try to save it there rather than keep it here in the Welcome Center. Perhaps, if more and more miniature painters come on board maybe both of you would be willing to moderate a forum made just for miniatures. This would be so great!

I will not move this thread until you both tell me that you see the forum that is called "Other Mediums". Just respond here and tell your other friends where to find it.

Once again, Welcome to WetCanvas!

Minibrush
12-15-2000, 07:26 PM
Phyllis, thank you for your welcome and interest in miniature painting. I've found the "Other Medium" forum and am glad you want to save this thread. Thanks.

Idallen, I used pre-primed masonite from the art supply store. The surface is already so smooth that it saves a ton of work you'd normally do priming and sanding in between coats. It is a little thick for dollhouse application, but it's cheaper to learn on than Ivorine or polymin. It will cut with a utility knife and straight edge, if you have some strength in your cuts. I have some power saws since I do my own framing, and use them for purposes like cutting masonite.

People laugh when they come to my studio. I paint my miniatures on a very large easel and use a huge palette. I like to stand when painting. I get enough sitting at this computer.

I know exactly what you mean about the "smell" in a shoe repair. We all found out later that "smell" was quite toxic. I don't miss shoe repair, but I have to credit it for being the birthplace of my art.

Let's get some mini ideas tossing around. It's fuel for the fire to share ideas with other inspired "mini" artists. Pardon the pun, but we do kind of live in our own "little worlds".

[This message has been edited by Minibrush (edited December 15, 2000).]

Minibrush
12-18-2000, 04:36 PM
Thank you, Paintfool. The web site has been fun for me. I hope you are able to make it to the Miniature Art Society of Florida's show in Clearwater, FL. It is one of the largest shows of miniature art in the world. The works are simply incredible. I understand there are hundreds of entries to see, and from past years' entries I can safely say you will be amazed by what you see. I believe many of the artists who enter this show are true masters of their trade.

If anyone is interested MASF has a web site at http://www.miniature-art.com/.

paintfool
12-19-2000, 12:00 AM
Loved your web site Minibrush! I see that you have an exhibit in Clearwater Fla in a few weeks. I'll be in clearwater on Jan 19th. I'm going to try to get over there. I'd love to see these!
Cheryl

------------------
paintfool

ArtMarkie
12-21-2000, 01:49 PM
Hello Minibrush,

Do you consider miniatures as
anything framed below 20" one way?
I do some small paintings that way.
They are for regular houses and
businesses.

Minibrush
12-21-2000, 06:28 PM
Hi ArtMarkie,
The juried shows I've entered generally have a 1/6th rule. No more than 1/6th of actual size. And usually the largest frame allowed is around 8" X 10". Most of the time I paint and frame smaller than that. I have the dimensions of my paintings on my web site, and when I frame, my mats and mouldings are no more than one inch wide. Many of the artists in the national and international shows paint postage stamp size. Even though the framing is so small, most of the paintings are intended to hang on walls in real buildings as opposed to dollhouses.

[This message has been edited by Minibrush (edited December 21, 2000).]

ldallen
12-21-2000, 07:29 PM
Hello Art, our newest "poster" (Learned that from some of the other forums.) We are hoping to attract more people to this site, so sooo happy to hear from you. I usually paint full size but have just recently started painting in miniature and finding it to be a lot of fun. It would not be difficult to downsize to less than 20". Right now I am just completing a small landscape that measures about 3 x 4 1/2 and I can't believe how much I enjoyed it.

Again, welcome.

Les

Minibrush
12-22-2000, 09:55 AM
Hello everyone.

I thought I'd post a link to The Hilliard Society's site in the UK. It covers the history of miniatures, the standards of the society and miniature art in general, society members listing and information on becoming a member, show listings, where to find supplies, Miniature Societies worldwide, etc. I've found it to be a wealth of information for people interested in miniatures, whether artists, or collectors.

It's worth your time to spend a few minutes looking around the site.
http://www.art-in-miniature.org/

Minibrush

arlene
12-22-2000, 11:50 AM
Geez Minibrush,
Now you have me wanting to try one...sheesh, like I have the time? LOL. Well if I get it done, I'll post. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
http://www.artdebut.com/arlene.htm

paintfool
12-23-2000, 01:29 AM
Arlene, <FONT size="5">YOU DON'T PAINT!!!!! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/biggrin.gif</FONT s>
Cheryl

------------------
paintfool

Minibrush
12-23-2000, 08:33 AM
Arlene,

I can imagine one of your Bas Relief Paper-Sculptures in miniature. How interesting that would be.

Hmmmm.

Minibrush

arlene
12-23-2000, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Minibrush:
Arlene,

I can imagine one of your Bas Relief Paper-Sculptures in miniature. How interesting that would be.

Hmmmm.

Minibrush

Unfortunately, my fingers aren't small enough...i'd really need to be committed then... http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

arlene
12-23-2000, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by paintfool:
Arlene, <FONT size="5">YOU DON'T PAINT!!!!! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/biggrin.gif</FONT s>
Cheryl

But I used to... http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

ldallen
12-23-2000, 07:46 PM
LOL - You two are really funny. Actually, you can do a "relief" in miniature. I have two of them that measure about 2 x 4 inches and they are gorgeous. So try it!!

I was looking for something today in the box where I keep my mini paintings and frames and I found something I had completely forgotten about. I was told a while back (and I don't remember WHO it was that recommended it) to go to the hardware store (Home Depot or whatever) and get paint chip samples. They are "perfect" - as far as I know. They are completely smooth and prepared and a good size for 1/12th scale. I did a little quick oil sketch on one this afternoon and it came out great! If anyone can think of a reason NOT to use them - please let me know.

For those of you who do full size paintings, so do I, and the minis are a good in-between for me - I get to SIT DOWN and it's a little different. Try it - you'll like it!!

Minibrush - how in the world do you STAND and work on miniatures?

Minibrush
12-24-2000, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by ldallen:
LOL -
Minibrush - how in the world do you STAND and work on miniatures?

If I sit to work, I soon get hunched over and sore in the shoulders, so if I stand I'm actually more comfortable. But it also works great to have my magnifying light straight in front of my eyes. I don't use it all of the time, but need it for the detail work and to look for dust on the painting. A major disaster.

Happy Holidays to all and to those with your own "miniatures" (children) soak up all the joy they offer. This is the best part of the holidays.

Minibrush

[This message has been edited by Minibrush (edited December 24, 2000).]

arlene
12-24-2000, 11:10 AM
LOL - You two are really funny. Actually, you can do a "relief" in miniature. I have two of them that measure about 2 x 4 inches and they are gorgeous. So try it!!

Relief in miniature isn't the problem...there are plenty of materials to use...the problem is getting paper that small to be in relief...when i do my paper sculptures, the paper is bent, folded, scored and curled to simulate the actual curves (modified) one sees in real life.

------------------

ldallen
12-27-2000, 07:19 PM
Minibrush - How do you rate "Polymin" as opposed to "Ivorine?" Isn't Ivorine more difficult to handle? I was told it had to be mounted before you paint on it. Also, I read that you can use "watercolor" paper. Have you ever tried that? In fact, it said you can use any "rag" paper. I'm using "vellum" to "practice" but I'm getting something a little better than I anticipated - will it hold up over time? I did not prime it with gesso before I began - should I have??

O.K. Here's the biggy. It is difficult, if not impossible, for me to work outdoors (I hate the bugs and humidity). But I have a great camera and, in fact, the painting I'm working on is from a photo I took in Vermont last summer. Do you paint from life, or photos, or ???? Your landscape paintings are incredible.

Lastly, how on earth do you paint so small? I have done some paintings for my dollhouse, but I could NEVER get so much detail in so little space. I'm sure you must use a magnifying glass - and a one hair brush!!??

And by the way, I have been watching all the art specials and shows on PBS in the last several years, too.

ldallen
12-27-2000, 07:41 PM
Arlene - I really enjoyed your website (and it was nice to have the narratives to read while I was waiting for each screen to come up - I have an old computer). You had to have created all the figures before you put it together - how else would you do it if you don't paint? Very interesting concept.

arlene
12-27-2000, 08:07 PM
Arlene - I really enjoyed your website (and it was nice to have the narratives to read while I was waiting for each screen to come up - I have an old computer). You had to have created all the figures before you put it together - how else would you do it if you don't paint? Very interesting concept.

Thank you Idallen. What I do to create the figures is make a precise line drawing. Then I take heavyweight tracing paper and draw out all the different sections, remembering that I need to have some pieces behind others.

Then the traced sections are traced onto the papers I'm using. Sigh...maybe when I have some free time, I'll post a lesson. (Maybe in 2003? http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/wink.gif )

------------------

Minibrush
12-28-2000, 09:59 AM
HI Idallen,

Wow, lots of questions, so here we go...Polymin vs. Ivorine. Ivorine is a little thicker and because they are both plastic substances they both should be mounted on something before framing and it will keep them from warping in temperature changes over the years. I like polymin because it is so thin, and even after mounted the transparency seems to make the painting glow. I prefer Ivorine for oils and polymin for watercolor. Just my preference, however. I usually mount each on bristol board using a spray photo mount glue. The Ivorine has instuctions on which glue to use, some glues will dissolve it.

Polymin has been tested archivally and is good at least to 50 years, I don't believe they know about Ivorine as yet. As far as the papers and vellum go, I'm not sure of the years they last, but as long as you buy an "archival" rated it should last a good long time as long as it is stored properly.

For paper I use at least a 140# ,hot press watercolor paper. It has a smooth surface and looks more in scale with a mini. I have not used vellum as yet. I have heard of people priming it with gesso first, though. The only support I prime is when I use my homemade mini canvases.

It is next to impossible to paint a mini "en plein air". Dust, fuzz, fibers, blowing leaves can spell disaster. Especially if you're working in oils or acrylics. I do paint from my own photos, some I've had tucked away for years just waiting for me to begin to paint. Sometimes I'm painting strictly from memory. And often these are my best attempts. I carry a sketch pad and watercolor pencils with me so I can make color and composition notes along with my photos.

I use a magnifying glass at times, though not as often as you might think. Usually just to put in the details. If I'm not doing a building or an animal, I usually don't need the glass. But if you're at it for a long session, the glass prevents headaches and neckaches. I don't even own a "one hair" brush. My smallest brush is a 10/0 liner. I have a few flats that range from 1/8" to 1" wide and 2 chisels, 1/8" & 1/4", a small spotter and my liners. My most important brush is a very good small mop for blending (when using oils, anyway). I actually paint a bit larger now than when I started. It gives me more room to play, no pun intended.

Hope I answered your questions.

Minibrush

[This message has been edited by Minibrush (edited December 28, 2000).]

ldallen
01-02-2001, 07:19 PM
Happy 2001! (A Space Odeysey - whoops!) This isn't registering yet! No, I'm not drunk! Just got on for the first time in a while - and it took me an hour and a half to get through some of my favs in the "Oil Painting" forum so now I'm tired and this will be brief.

In between holidays, family, etc. I worked on my second attempt at a landscape - this time from a photo I took while I was in Vermont last summer and I'm just tickled with myself. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif I never believed I could do a landscape!! As soon as it dries enough I'll see if I can figure out how to upload it so you can all critque it - nicely!!

In the meantime, thanks for your input Minibrush and I'll be "talking" to you soon.

L

[This message has been edited by ldallen (edited January 02, 2001).]

roxanne_mc
01-03-2001, 01:30 PM
can't wait to see some of both of yours work! I find it impossible to work small...bet you feel very accomplished when you have finished..wow!
Rox

------------------
everywhere I see art!
my pages..brag..brag..brag
http://members.nbci.com/slyasthecat/Index.htm
http://members.nbci.com/c_hikers/Index.htm

ldallen
01-04-2001, 07:51 PM
Thanks Minibrush! My next effort will be on Polymin as I have been dying to try it. I'm also interested in try some silk. Can you tell me about that?

Have you ever taken your paintings to "dollhouse shows?"

I'm going straight from here into the instruction portion of this site to try to figure out how to upload a painting so I can share it with you all and get some feedback.

Minibrush
01-05-2001, 11:21 AM
Idallen,
You should have fun with the polymin. You'll love the way the colors look on it.

I've not used silk myself, but I can recommend a site that has instructions on preparing a mini silk canvas.
http://www.tinytalk.org/paintpro.htm

Scroll down to "Making the Mini Canvas". This method sounds a little quicker than my method for stretching mini muslin canvases, which involves building a mini wood frame first.

Yes, I have done "dollhouse shows" in the past . I did several in the "70's" when I designed and made mini clothing for mini porcelain dolls. Then when I started painting, I exhibited in only a few. Not only were sales lackluster, but my paintings did not really fit in that niche. The majority of buyers and sellers still focus on Victorian style in this market. Once I started framing my work for juried art shows, I found a more suitable "home" for exhibiting my work. The two "worlds" (dollhouse vs. miniature art) are still kind of separated, especially in painting.

Good luck Idallen. And have fun

Minibrush

ldallen
01-05-2001, 07:09 PM
Hi Minibrush,

I saw that site a while back - but forgot about it. I'll have to give it a try. I'm planning on starting a new painting on the Polymin this weekend and I'll also submit the other landscape I did over the weekend. I found out you have to email them to the Critiquers first.

I'm glad you told me that about the dollhouse shows. I kind of had the feeling that was the case.

L

[This message has been edited by ldallen (edited January 05, 2001).]

Minibrush
01-07-2001, 08:41 AM
Idallen,

I would first attend dollhouse shows in your area, to check out attendance, what's being offered, and how many sales do you see happening. I know that some areas of the USA do very well for most of the exhibitors. But here in the Rockies, there are distinct tastes among the buyers (we have so much history in the Victorian era) and frankly the miniature world is a tight knit group here, buyers and sellers. The shows here are quite expensive for exhibitors, so if the seller does not do well, it hurts.

Good luck.

Minibrush

ldallen
01-08-2001, 08:43 PM
Hi Minibrush,

Until about a year or so ago I attended every dollhouse show in my area and they were always mobbed! They mostly go in for Victorian in this area as well. However, there were only one or two dealers who carried "original" miniature paintings that were really worthwhile. The shows get bigger and better every year so they must be selling something, but I don't really know how well they do with the paintings. I suspect they sell more through their aids in the mini mags then they do at the shows.

L

Minibrush
01-11-2001, 08:03 AM
Hi everyone. I just wanted to remind those who live near Clearwater, FL, that the Miniature Art Society of Florida's 26th Annual Miniature Art Show begins on this Sunday, January 14th through the 28th.

It is at the Belleview Biltmore Resort and Spa at 25 Belleview Boulevard (follow Belleview Boulevard through Guard Gate to Hotel) in Clearwater. The hours are as follows:
Mon-Thurs: 10am to 6pm
Fri & Sat: 10am to 8pm
Sunday: 12pm to 6pm

If you have any interest in miniature painting and sculpture this is a wonderful show to attend. Hundreds of entries from all over the world are exhibited. The cream of the crop offer their entries in this show. These pieces are not made for the dollhouse. They are collectible art in every sense of the definition.

If you have further questions here is a link to the Miniature Art Society of Florida's web site. http://www.miniature-art.com/
(by the way, I am not a member)

Hope some can make it and if you do, enjoy.

Minibrush

wildlifepainters
02-02-2001, 08:45 AM
ooops...I guess being new I just posted my "intro" to the mini group under the broader heading of "other mediums" - sorry about that! ~ Wes

Minibrush
02-02-2001, 10:45 AM
Wes, how nice to have you aboard. I'm familiar with your's and Rachel's work from your web site and from the mini art shows. Some of my work has been in the same shows as yours, and I am aware of the many honors you both have deservedly received in the shows. Your work is spectacular. Sometimes to clear my head I just go to your web site and stare at the beautiful animals. (I love animals anyway, so it's a real treat to my eyes).

I wish I could attend the shows in person, but most are just too far away for my budget. My mother in-law was able to attend the holiday show in
Washington DC and was amazed at the work she saw. She brought back photos of the exhibit, which I found very nice.

There is something about miniatures that just gets in your blood. I hardly ever paint in "full size" anymore. But I usually can't wait to "hit" my little "canvas".

Minibrush

wildlifepainters
02-12-2001, 07:53 AM
Minibrush,

Thanks for the compliments on our work and website! Sorry for my delay in responding but I don't check message boards very often. We are also "addicted" to miniatures and hope in the near future to be able to attend more of the shows in person. We're both full-time wildlife artists so we also do many of the national wildlife shows and display our minis. This weekend we'll be in Charleston, SC at the Southeastern Wildlife Festival. Rachelle will have almost 40 of her minis on display.

Feel free to email us at [email protected] for quicker responses to posts/ emails. Let us know your "real name" and we'll look for your work at the shows! ~ Wes

Minibrush
02-14-2001, 09:54 AM
Wes,

Sounds like you two stay very busy. Good for you. Seeing your art explains why.

The next show on my schedule is in Colorado Springs in April. I usually enter the show in Nags Head, NC, in May also. I have not heard anything about the Chicago International Miniature show. I've usually received a prospectus by now. Have you heard anything, by chance?

Good luck to you both in SC. May you have many sales and honors.

Minibrush

Minibrush
03-31-2001, 09:03 AM
I have a couple of new questions for any and all miniature artists out there. Do any of you have "Gallery Representation"?

I had a meeting last weekend with a gallery nearby, and was encouraged, as the owner liked my paintings, framing and mini sculptures. But was still hesitant to exhibit my work outside of a "miniature show". I noticed much of the work in the gallery could have easily been considered miniature in nature, though not labeled as such.

Any suggestions on how to "sell" a gallery on hanging my work? I've tried pointing out that minis do not take up much space, and are often more "buyable" for the average consumer.

On a different note, has anyone experience with watercolors on polymin? The instructions with the material say watercolors are fine, yet I'm having some peeling on finished paintings, which in essence destroys the painting, forever. I'm really sad, several of my best paintings are now dust.

Thanks,

Minibrush

[This message has been edited by Minibrush (edited March 31, 2001).]

Minibrush
04-27-2001, 11:16 AM
For those in the Colorado area, there is an interesting miniature art show opening Sunday, April 29, in Colorado Springs at the El Dorado Art Gallery located at 2504 W. Colorado Ave. It is the 20th annual miniature event at this gallery. The show runs through May 20th.

This is a cozy gallery located in an historic building in downtown Colorado Springs. A great exhibit and a fun place to visit to get a taste of Colorado history.

Hope some of you can make it.

(No, I do not own the gallery, but will have some entries in the show)

olika
04-27-2001, 10:35 PM
I just wanted to give you a belated welcome. minibrush and to say that in one or your very early posts, you said that this could be a very lonely business and until I read that, I had not realised that that was what was so good about this place. I knew there was support and empathy from people so very many experiences in feelings close to my own but I just did not realise the loneliness component in these fields. You are so right it makes life so much better! I visited your site and I was very much impressed. I love miniatures - have done so all my life - so I was pleased to see your work. Great stuff!

------------------
Why do I make it so hard?
Gerri

Minibrush
04-29-2001, 12:02 AM
Olika,

Thanks for the kind words. Every compliment gives me confidence I am on the right path. As we all know, there are times we can get discouraged, and kind words give me incentive to get back at the easel.

Yes, this site is invaluable. It has provided encouragement, support, instruction, valuable business ideas, entertainment for the eyes and soul, and a laugh or two. And new found friends. What a joy Wet Canvas has been. It is proof the internet can be a wonderful place. Thanks to all who make it possible. And thank you, again.

Minibrush

ceEllicott
10-06-2002, 05:32 PM
HI all

I see that this thread is waaay old but --- are there still mini artists around here somewhere?
I'm trying to find out where you all post - which forum.

thanks

cheryl

Minibrush
10-07-2002, 11:05 AM
I'm still around, though I don't post very often. But this "other Media" catagory is where we posted in the past.

I've been pretty busy, so haven't been spending as much time with WC. I now have work in 3 galleries, plus I continue with the competitions.

You can see my stuff on my web site, since I rarely get around to posting it here.

Minibrush

ceEllicott
10-07-2002, 03:20 PM
hi Minibrush

nice to see you're still here----- It looks like there are only a few of us on wetcanvas. I love doing minis but haven't had much time for them lately - - - hope to do some more soon.

if you post any needing critiques let me know about the thread and I'll participate.

cheryl

Leaflin
10-11-2002, 01:57 PM
Hi Cheryl :)
I have visited your site and enjoyed all of your wonderful pieces.
We would love to see you post some of your work in here.

One thing I love about this forum is all the different art forms that are represented.

Hope to see more of your work :)

ceEllicott
10-11-2002, 03:55 PM
HI Leaflin

thanks!
I haven't had time to do many new mini paintings lately --- I did recently post a couple from this summer in the animal forum and I'm currently working on a 8x10 portrait of 3 girls (posted in portraiture).
I hope to have time to do more --- when I do, I'll post them!

:)
cheryl

champagneharley
10-18-2002, 04:17 AM
I just thought I'd add to this thread, as someone who does miniatures. I do all sorts of art work. But have a special interest in miniatures.
My site is in my signature, if you'd like to look.
I have just posted 2 miniature nudes in 'watercolour' forum.
Regards,
Jillian

robin2u
10-19-2002, 05:24 PM
I paint miniatures also, with acrylics (mainly). Jillian, I loved your miniatures!

aspiring <smile>,
robin2u

champagneharley
10-19-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by robin2u
I paint miniatures also, with acrylics (mainly). Jillian, I loved your miniatures!

aspiring <smile>,
robin2u
Welcome to the world of miniatures.
I am thinking of starting a special forum on here for miniaturists.
If there is enough support they will allow it.
Glad you liked my work. Thank you.
Regards,
Jillian

ceEllicott
10-19-2002, 07:37 PM
HI Jillian and Robin2u!!

It's great to see others who enjoy and are talented in painting minis --- I think that's a great idea about creating a forum for it. Miniature painting deserves it's own forum imo.

cheryl

champagneharley
10-19-2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by ceEllicott
HI Jillian and Robin2u!!

It's great to see others who enjoy and are talented in painting minis --- I think that's a great idea about creating a forum for it. Miniature painting deserves it's own forum imo.

cheryl
Thanx.
I'm working on it!
Regards,
Jillian

Minibrush
10-24-2002, 09:51 AM
I thought I would post this here to keep this miniature thread going. Got great news yesterday. Not only did this painting win 3rd place in Oils at The Art Gallery of Fells Point annual miniature show, but it sold! Whoo-hoo! I just love a sale. It is oil on Ivorine, and measures 1 1/4" X 2 1/4".
Titled "On the Road".

Minibrush

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2002/ontherd.jpg

ceEllicott
10-24-2002, 02:42 PM
This is very nice - I love the perspective!

I also love your idea - - we should keep posting in this thread each time we do a mini.
I know I enjoy following along with your progress even though I haven't had time to do any lately....

thanks for sharing that

cheryl

hairballsdotcom
12-22-2002, 02:31 PM
After reading this thread, I'm anxious to start painting some miniatures. I haven't done any for many many years (25+ years). I use to paint scenics on buttons!

I notice the best area on Ebay to sell miniatures is the doll house section. My questions is.....ARE THERE STANDARD SIZE mini frames people buy, so a painter should try to stick to those sizes? If so, what are they?

champagneharley
12-22-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by hairballsdotcom
After reading this thread, I'm anxious to start painting some miniatures. I haven't done any for many many years (25+ years). I use to paint scenics on buttons!

I notice the best area on Ebay to sell miniatures is the doll house section. My questions is.....ARE THERE STANDARD SIZE mini frames people buy, so a painter should try to stick to those sizes? If so, what are they?

Not really any standard size. Keep in mind that doll houses are 1/12th scale. So that something 1" wide is the equivalent of 1 foot wide in real scale.
Yes, you use dolls, miniatures, artist's offerings on ebay. BUT I also list in a 2nd category in the regular 'art' section.
Go to a doll house place & pick up some frames I can buy 3 for about $5, so that is a good way to find sizes, or look on the web for doll house suppliers and find frames that way, also look at sizes of what is selling on the web, that will give you a good insight.
Happy painting!
Regards,
Jillian

Christie
12-22-2002, 05:01 PM
I also paint minis and find that a double listing on EBay (doll houses and the regular art area) seems to be the most effective.

I have not found a place the sells dollhouse size frames around here, so I make my own. That way, they can be whatever size you like. :)

champagneharley
12-22-2002, 08:08 PM
You'll find some frames available here - miniature doll's house.
Making your own is quite easy, too. I have some moulding, and a mitre cutter.

http://www.lacasaphotos.com/Pages/frames&mats.html
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
12-22-2002, 08:19 PM
Here you go...
Some of the ones I actually use are here.
Mostly I sell unframed, so that people can frame themselves, and they do!
But this gives you a good idea of sizes, etc.
There is a good range here.
http://whoknowsminis.safeshopper.com/103/cat103.htm?211
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
12-22-2002, 10:22 PM
I also just found some frames for auction on ebay for miniatures...
item...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1947164440&category=2461
also
items:
and
and I'm sure you'll find more...

Regards,
Jillian

Christie
12-22-2002, 10:34 PM
I have picked up some of the commercial frames, but find that I prefer building my own. I picked up a little mitre box and saw and can spend hours building them.

Painting them is a bit finicky, when I decide that they need it.

How do you get the paintings mounted in the commercial plastic frames?

champagneharley
12-23-2002, 03:31 PM
I decided a while ago, that I rather spend time painting than making frames, so sell my work unframed, always.
(my minis, that is - also any larger works I sell on ebay, & local commissioned work.)
However I am making a miniature art gallery to show and store my work, and need to frame some work for that, although I will have a shrink wrap 'display bin' for those I don't want to hang on the walls.
I do have a mitre cutter, it just cuts down, so don't need a saw.
Some of the commercial frames don't have the recess at the rear to drop your work down into the frame, but then, some do.
Those that don't I use clear acetate on top, then the painting, then more acetate or other backing, and tape it very, very carefully. Bit fiddly, but it works!
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
12-23-2002, 04:55 PM
Just in case you want to see my miniature Art Gallery...
Bear in mind, it's only in start stages, only basic undercoats, etc are applied...

champagneharley
12-23-2002, 04:55 PM
more...
forgot to add image ... sorry

champagneharley
12-23-2002, 04:58 PM
this time I'll add image!!!

champagneharley
12-23-2002, 04:59 PM
more...

champagneharley
12-23-2002, 05:00 PM
last one, the gallery with shop front...
AND
a Christmas wreath, of course!!!

Christie
12-23-2002, 06:43 PM
These are lovely! I would love to do a room box like this, but I need some space to work frst. :)

I am also starting to sell some of my work unframed. It goes for about the same price, so why not?

Thanks for the mounting tips. I will try acetate. The frames that I build have the little notch in the back, so that is fine, but it is much less frustrating to sell them unframed. :D

champagneharley
12-23-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Christie
These are lovely! I would love to do a room box like this, but I need some space to work frst. :)

I am also starting to sell some of my work unframed. It goes for about the same price, so why not?

Thanks for the mounting tips. I will try acetate. The frames that I build have the little notch in the back, so that is fine, but it is much less frustrating to sell them unframed. :D
Thank you.
Yes, you are right. They sell about the same, framed or not. Plus, if posting, it's better and easier, and cheaper without frames, which CAN break.
Acetate works well for me. Can cut it easily.
Regards,
Jillian

Leaflin
12-24-2002, 12:19 PM
Hi champagneharley :)
I loved your last few posts.
Glad this thread keeps on coming up!!!

champagneharley
12-24-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by leaflin
Hi champagneharley :)
I loved your last few posts.
Glad this thread keeps on coming up!!!
Thank you!
Yes, it's fun!

Regards,
Jillian

hairballsdotcom
01-01-2003, 06:25 PM
Jillian -- that is SUCH a fun idea to make a miniature gallery with YOUR images. What a wonderful and attention grabber promotional piece it will make.

Sill haven't found miniature stretched canvases...any ideas? I really don't want to make them myself.

hairballsdotcom
01-01-2003, 06:32 PM
Since I'm not into dollhouses, or miniatures -- I do LOVE small things, just don't know that much about the industry -- I was wondering how people think when they purchase miniature art....

Do they just look for what they like?
Do they look for a specific size to fit a specific place in the dollhouse?
Do they look for colors to match their decor?
Do they look for art that would work in specific rooms like kitchen art, bathroom art, etc?

Of course now that I write those questions down, I realize people probably look for ALL of those things all at one time just like ANYONE looking to buy art.
OK -- SO I answered my own question!

champagneharley
01-02-2003, 12:38 AM
Jillian -- that is SUCH a fun idea to make a miniature gallery with YOUR images. What a wonderful and attention grabber promotional piece it will make.

Sill haven't found miniature stretched canvases...any ideas? I really don't want to make them myself.
Yes, I think it's a great idea, too.
I haven't looked for mini stretched canvases, if I find any, I'll let you know.
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
01-02-2003, 12:41 AM
Do they just look for what they like?
Do they look for a specific size to fit a specific place in the dollhouse?
Do they look for colors to match their decor?
Do they look for art that would work in specific rooms like kitchen art, bathroom art, etc?

Yes, they would look for art the same as for regular sized works...!!!!!
Primarily I will see something I like, then consider the size of it, then if it is something unique, how well doen it is, then finally I consider where I'll put it. (Colour, theme, etc.)
Regards,
Jillian

hairballsdotcom
01-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Just ordered 2 dozen 10x10 canvases -- certainly not 'miniatures' but had to start somewhere. The smallest this place had were 5x7 and I want 'square'. They do say they'll do custom sizes -- wonder what they'd say if I said I wanted some
1 1/2 x 2? Prices seemed really good here too, but since I haven't bought canvases for many many years, I'm only going on my small amount of research on the web recently -- check them out at http://canvasplace.com . Let me know if you think I made a mistake!

Minibrush
01-05-2003, 12:17 PM
Hi all,

I do not know of where to get pre-made mini canvases, but this is a link to an artist's site with instructions for making mini silk canvases.

http://www.barbarastanton.com/classes.ivnu

The ones referred to in the above link are silk adherred to bristol board. Having the hard surface helps in miniature work. When I was doing dollhouse work I stretched my own, on mini frames made from 1/4" walnut stock, and stetched muslin to keep the weave "in scale" for dollhouse work. This is why many miniature artists use silk.

I no longer paint miniatures for dollhouses, but still paint miniatures for the miniature fine art competitions in the USA, (different rules & regs than dollhouse work) and now have my work in a few galleries. The paintings are still as small, but the framing is very different. For my works in oil I use Ivorine now. As far as I know there is only one provider in the US, others around the world. Check the "Materials & Suppliers" button on the Hilliard Society's web site for listings world wide.

http://www.art-in-miniature.org/

This site has other information about miniature art as well.

Hope this helps out a little in the search for mini canvases.

Minibrush

hairballsdotcom
01-05-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Minibrush
When I was doing dollhouse work I stretched my own, on mini frames made from 1/4" walnut stock, and stetched muslin to keep the weave "in scale" for dollhouse work. This is why many miniature artists use silk.Muslin makes sense -- and silk too. Maybe I'll have to try my hand at making some afterall since I can't seem to find them to buy. Thanks!

Minibrush
01-17-2003, 11:21 AM
Just thought the miniature enthusiasts in Florida may like to know about a show opening this Sunday the 19th in Largo. I've posted the info in WC Events.

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82896

Minibrush

Minibrush
01-18-2003, 12:12 PM
Just thought I'd post my latest. It's oil on Ivorine, the size is 1 3/8" wide by 2 1/4" high. It is the Charley Taylor waterwheel in Idaho Springs, Colorado (still untitled).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2003/2068-waterwheel.jpg

Minibrush

champagneharley
01-18-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Minibrush
Just thought I'd post my latest. It's oil on Ivorine, the size is 1 3/8" wide by 2 1/4" high. It is the Charley Taylor waterwheel in Idaho Springs, Colorado (still untitled).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2003/2068-waterwheel.jpg

Minibrush
VERY impressive!
Love it.
Thanx for sharing.
Regards,
Jillian

Minibrush
01-19-2003, 12:17 PM
Thanks Jillian. As I study it I still see some areas I think I need to tweek, but that's standard, I think.

Mini

jfsart7
05-10-2003, 08:54 PM
I have been looking for miniature people. I see you minibrush!
It is funny that there are very few of us. We need to touch bases a lot.

I was reading all the info here. Something that I have been using lately with waterbase oil on some materials called Mulitmedia artboard. You can use it with watercolor, waterbased oil or oil, acrylic colored pencil. I am not sure about pastel but the other media is great. It is very firm and it will brake if you push on it. A friend came me some. The problem is where to find again. I am just all most out.
Here is a picture of my waterbased oil. 2 3/4" x 3 7/8"
Jaef

champagneharley
05-10-2003, 09:34 PM
Great work!
I use watersoluble oils, but for conventional works.
Where in OR are you. I've been to Medford, Crater Lake, etc.
Some of my paintings are from that area.
A miniature I did of a swan was from Ashland, OR. I sold it on ebay, and of all things, the buyer was from OR (coast).
Regards,
Jillian

ceEllicott
05-11-2003, 03:06 PM
wow Jaef - -

that's gorgeous.
I love it!

cheryl

jfsart7
05-11-2003, 10:35 PM
Champagneharley -

I am in Portland. When a Oregonian all my life.

I have started a bigger painting right now. I have been painting miniatures paintings for the last 3 months. Have to change ones in a while.
Thanks for the comment.

Cheryl-

Thanks Cheryl. I have the piece in the The Bird Nest Gallery in Lincoln City in Oregon Coast. Have about a dozen pieces.
Jaef

champagneharley
05-11-2003, 11:15 PM
I flew into Portland, and it seemed quite nice. I spent some time in the airport there. Oregon was lovely to fly over. Though I flew Alaska airlines, and was concerned about some oil that seemed to be leaking out one of the engines to the side of me.
If I'd known what happened later..... eeek!
Yes, I do all kinds of art, big and small, all mediums.
So I do a change about, too. I figure if you're an artist, you don't have limitations.
Regards,
Jillian

jfsart7
05-11-2003, 11:52 PM
Jillian-

I saw that you are from Australia. Last Christmas I had a commission (16x20). My boy has been in Australia for about 6 years. He commissioned me to paint one for his wife. It was a picture of the hillside in Sydney. It was picture of her when she was a child. The sad thing is that they had to leave to the States San Francisco. If they had waited for one month they would have saved them dollars for the shipping cost!! Owell

Jaef

Minibrush
05-12-2003, 10:09 AM
Jaef,

This is wonderful!!!!!! It's so vibrant, lively and a pleasure to view. OK, I paint in miniature, but your tiny little people are unbelievably tiny and wonderful!!!!

:clap:

Minibrush

jfsart7
05-12-2003, 03:09 PM
Minibrush-

Thanks a lot. We just love the mini's!!!!! You should see Katherim Friday's work. She won second (I think she won in Florida) She is my mentor. She got me going with this miniature thing. I had been doing business cards for many years and Christmas cards. I was seeing her National pieces and was very impressed. Well I went to the first miniature show in Lake Oswego. I had put 5 pieces into the show. The first cut I was still in the hunt. Then they cut a bunch more. They kept 3. To more cuts. I made one piece!!!! That's ok too. At least I was in!!
Did not win or sell anything but I was happy. Then Katherine invited me into the Cider Painters of America. I was so happy when I one a award!! There were two other winners from Oregon. Katherine and the other Lady that I forgot her name. She was the one runnig the show. Jeannette ? I love mini's!!

Jaef

Minibrush
05-12-2003, 04:04 PM
That's great Jaef! I had 3 in Lake Oswego and was lucky enough to sell one. It sounds like you attended, (I guess you're pretty close, after all) it sounded like a very nice show.

Mini

ceEllicott
05-12-2003, 04:17 PM
well hey, you all inspired me to MAKE time to do a few minis even though I'm behind on real life and big commissions. <g>

I love painting miniature - now I remember why I've missed it - it relaxes me whereas the big commissioned portraits stressssss me out.

here's a WET oil painting - - 2x3"
sorry the picture didn't come out too good. I'll have to shoot it after it dries.

cheryl

ceEllicott
05-12-2003, 04:24 PM
and here's one that I'm not sure I like, but . . . any comments would help. I don't usually stay this limited in my palette so when I do I feel like somethings off?

thanks

cheryl

acrylic - - 2x3"

ceEllicott
05-12-2003, 04:31 PM
My first roses . . .

I hope my lack of passion for flowers doesn't show in this. :) ??
I figured it was time to learn to paint them. I honestly don't know why flowers don't do anything for me.

acrylic on mat board....
2"x3"

cheryl

jfsart7
05-12-2003, 05:43 PM
What a great group!! Happy to see some friends! Cheryl, I love the floweres!! Do More!! The like all of them put I think I like the flowers the best. I think thay are the hardist to do.

Mini- Super!! Glad that you sold a piece. Did you go to the show or did you mail them? I am in that area. Hillsboro.

Here is one of my latest miniatures. My group mailed comments on this piece. The one I thought that was the funniest was the gal said that the painting was of a boy! I had put the name of the painting "Love Story"

Jaef

Minibrush
05-13-2003, 10:40 AM
Cheryl, indeed a nice group. My favorite is the second one, with your limited palette. I think it works very well. Great mood and atmosphere in this. For not being passionate about flowers, you certainly do a fine job of painting them. I actually understand, I love growing flowers, but do not enjoy painting them.

I had to mail my entries, Jaef. Would love to attend some of these events, but that just costs too much in $$$ and time. I LOVE "Love Story"!!!! What a wonderful painting! The herfords are excellent, but the "action" is what catches me. It gave me a lift today.

Thanks Cheryl & Jaef for brightening my day.

Mini

jfsart7
05-13-2003, 12:55 PM
Mini-

I would love to go to some of those shows too. Wants again, $$$

Are you into the show for the World Federation? Some people have told me but I forget which ones!! (Senior Moment!) Hope you can understand some of the e-mails. When I type in the message it looks good. I send and then I see what I said!!! O boy!! I had brain surgery a few years ago. The computer really helps me. Have not been able to send a letter before. Now, if the letters are off I can see it (MOST OF THE TIME!)

Am doing a watercolor of 9 kids and a pre-school teacher. It started with a commission but the funding of the school dried out.
Will learn from the painting. Do not do portraits very much.

Cheryl-
I see that you are in Tuscon. My brother has been living there for many years. He is a professional photographer.

Jaef

Minibrush
05-14-2003, 10:20 AM
jaef,

Yes, I committed to one entry for the WFM, still am not sure just what.:eek:

I understand you just fine. Sounds like quite a rough road you've been experiencing. And believe me I understand "Senior Moments", have them quite often, myself.

Oooo, a preschool class....I used to teach preschool, 12 years ago. Also had two high school classes who worked in the preschool to obtain hands on experience in early childhood education. They were the biggest challenge.
Good luck with your painting.

Mini

jfsart7
05-14-2003, 02:50 PM
Mini-

I do not know want is happening too. The Cider Painters mailed info to me. They said they will be giving more info in June. Will see. Another challenge in life!!

I am retired but I do some cleanup at the church. I go in there just when the pre-school gets out. Your understand about those little musters!!!! Every year I volunteer there with showing art. I get a big kick out of there interest in art. Some of there are very good at there are at the beginning. I have gone some art at the schools doing volunteer work. When my kids were in school they always have the dad's day. Here is a few of my kids in the past.

Thursday I will go to a group with the piece that I am working with. My mentor will give me some feedback. I am not sure what cover in one area. Nice to mind out now!! Watercolor commits you!!

Jaef

jfsart7
05-14-2003, 02:52 PM
Another owl!! Jaef

ceEllicott
05-14-2003, 05:29 PM
Hey Jaef

those are so sweet!

So your brother's a photographer around here? Creativity runs in the family I see. :)
This is a nice place to be a photographer - - seldom does the weather keep you inside.

cheryl

jfsart7
05-14-2003, 11:57 PM
Cheryl-

Here is a link of my family. There were some professional artist in the family. http://www.geocities.com/vltaute/jim
A friend put me into his great web so here is the other link.
www.bledsoeart.com/jimsmith.html
I have got some miniature people in my web. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/miniatureart Also I went into another group (Yahoo) There is another lady that managers the group. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/art-in-miniature

Later

ceEllicott
05-15-2003, 02:40 PM
thanks Jaef

I took a look at your family's site - - I love it.
Didn't want to clog up this thread with all my rambling so I sent you a private wetcanvas message.
Let me know if you didn't get that.

cheryl

Minibrush
05-16-2003, 10:03 AM
Here's my latest mini.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107665

Mini

ceEllicott
05-16-2003, 02:39 PM
I like it a lot - - it has such a welcoming feel!
The trees are great, very interesting the way you've made them dance around the painting.

cheryl

Minibrush
05-17-2003, 10:04 AM
Thank you Cheryl. Gee, I'm not the only one who thinks of trees "dancing". I have a few past works where the titles mention the trees dancing. Weird, huh? Glad we have this miniature thread active again. I'm really enjoying seeing all these fabulous works. It's very inspiring.

Minibrush

ceEllicott
05-17-2003, 02:02 PM
hi minibrush

yes it IS inspiring to have this thread revived.... and I need it this week. Those minis I did aren't selling on ebay and I'm just not good at rejection. <g> boohoo
It seems everytime I try to veer away from painting . . . cats . . . my stuff doesn't sell.

A real artist probably wouldn't mind, painting for the emotional honesty and all that, but I sure could use a few extra dollars.

cheryl

numbat
12-18-2003, 01:20 AM
Just wanted to thank all the contributors to this rather long thread which, I think, deserves to be reactivated. Such excellent work in the (apparently rare) area of fine art miniatures which is certainly a hard to find topic on this wonderful site and in other sites as well.

Presumably this has to be so as miniatures, even just miniature painting, covers a number of other 'discipline' areas (watercolour, oil, landscape etc etc) and so I guess we will have to continue to find them as they pop up in these other forums.

But please keep up the great work miniaturists (is that the right word?), you are inspiring me to have a go - who knows I may even post one one of these days - when I have one worthy of posting.

Cheers,

Geoff

champagneharley
12-18-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by numbat
Just wanted to thank all the contributors to this rather long thread which, I think, deserves to be reactivated. Such excellent work in the (apparently rare) area of fine art miniatures which is certainly a hard to find topic on this wonderful site and in other sites as well.

Presumably this has to be so as miniatures, even just miniature painting, covers a number of other 'discipline' areas (watercolour, oil, landscape etc etc) and so I guess we will have to continue to find them as they pop up in these other forums.

But please keep up the great work miniaturists (is that the right word?), you are inspiring me to have a go - who knows I may even post one one of these days - when I have one worthy of posting.

Cheers,

Geoff
Thanks for your input.
I asked Scott for a special forum, but he said no - unless heaps of people ask and there is enough interest to warrant it. I think there is.
On ebay times for artists are really slow at the moment, but I did sell one miniature watercolor.
I have had listed a 3x3" oil on canvas just the last week, but no takers. It's the first like this I've done. It's on a wrapped canvas.

jfsart7
12-19-2003, 12:44 AM
Geoff-
Thanks for posting!! I have not been in the mixed media for some time so it is nice to see that someone as seen the miniature/mixed media group!!! I have been in the oil forum for some time. There are so many places to go and so little time!!

I just put this piece into the frame shop. This piece will be sent to a World Federation Show in the Smithsonian. (That is if it is excepted

:confused:

Way your Christmas be a joy!!!
Jaef
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2003/21877-Let_s_Go.jpg

champagneharley
12-19-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by jfsart7
Geoff-

I just put this piece into the frame shop. This piece will be sent to a World Federation Show in the Smithsonian. (That is if it is excepted

:confused:

Way your Christmas be a joy!!!
Jaef
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2003/21877-Let_s_Go.jpg
WOW! That's great news, good luck with that!
Regards,
Jillian

Minibrush
12-19-2003, 10:40 AM
Jaef,

I'm so glad you sent that one to WFM. I love that painting. I'm sure they will accept it. I found out they accepted my entry, so yours is a "shoe-in".

I sure would love to attend the WFM show. Have been working on a way to go. Maybe.........

Happy Holidays, Jaef!

Minibrush

numbat
12-19-2003, 05:13 PM
Jaef, the painting (colour, depth, concept and all those little people) is great and surely will get into the show. Please post on progress (and any awards :) ).

Minibrush, I do hope you get to go to the WFM so you can tell us all about it.

champagneharley, there might not be enough specific interest (yet!) in miniature paintings at WC! but it looks like references to 'miniature' (in whatever forum) can be found via the search process at WC .... so I guess we should be grateful for that.

Wishing you all a happy holiday.

Geoff

jfsart7
12-19-2003, 06:39 PM
Numbat-
Thanks for the comment. I will let you know about what is happening.
Minibrush-
There is some hope!! I was not sure if it would come in or not. You never know. I will send it in January. The frame shop said it would not be finished tell January. It sure is hard to get frames. The one place only had three frames to work if. I was trying to use my frames and I thought it would be a good Idea to send the very best!!
Jillian-
Thanks a lot for the uplifting comment!

Hope there will be more miniature people that get into wetcanvas. I love to see the good work here.

Later.
Jaef

jfsart7
12-21-2003, 04:27 PM
Everyone-
Want to say Merry Christmas to all of the hard working Wet Canvas people (especialy the Miniature People!!) Another year has gone by. May the new 2004 be a year of growth with our miniatures. Lets share our talents and help others!!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jaef:clap:

champagneharley
12-21-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by jfsart7
Everyone-
Want to say Merry Christmas to all of the hard working Wet Canvas people (especialy the Miniature People!!) Another year has gone by. May the new 2004 be a year of growth with our miniatures. Lets share our talents and help others!!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jaef:clap:
Thank you, same to you Jaef!
Thank you for thinking of us all!
My regards to all, too.
Jillian

Minibrush
12-23-2003, 12:38 PM
What a wonderful journey it has been since I asked that question three years ago when this thread came to life. I've met such wonderful people, not only in this thread, but all of Wet Canvas. Some of us have become very good friends. All of you have been such tremendous help and have been so generous with your encouraging words. I thank you.

It has been great seeing so many marvelous works in miniature, and meeting so many people willing to strain their eyesight. ;)

May one and all enjoy the season to it's fullest, and may the coming year bring inspiration, joy, prosperity, good health and plenty of paint to you, my friends.

Minibrush

champagneharley
01-04-2004, 10:35 AM
New Year start - a touch of French whimsy!

Somehow decided to do a mini of an Art Deco flapper.
From pulled down cap, and cherub red lips, to long line jacket, partially gathered waist and pleated skirt.
What now? A dog?
What dog? A poodle. One is drawn, but seems too small, so next comes a larger French poodle that screamed out to be pink!
Still all too plain. OK add the Paris 'bits'!!!
HAHAHAHA!
What fun to do this.
Probably not the greatest. Tho listed it on ebay, so if someone likes it, guess it will set. If not. Oh well, it was fun!

Regards,
Jillian

ceEllicott
01-04-2004, 01:25 PM
happy new year to you all

Jillian - - I like it. It has a lot of nice lines and your woman has a certain attitude - - - good job capturing that on such a small space.

I haven't done any minis for awhile now - - each time this thread pops up I remember that I miss doing them. I'll have to get back into it soon.....

keep painting everyone. :)

cheryl

champagneharley
01-06-2004, 09:02 AM
:) Thanx Cheryl. Yes, I'm a bit like that, too.
Everytime this thread pops up, I think to myself ... I need to do more minis, soon!
Regards,
Jillian

happy new year to you all

Jillian - - I like it. It has a lot of nice lines and your woman has a certain attitude - - - good job capturing that on such a small space.

I haven't done any minis for awhile now - - each time this thread pops up I remember that I miss doing them. I'll have to get back into it soon.....

keep painting everyone. :)

cheryl

champagneharley
01-07-2004, 02:13 AM
Well, I've done another one, since this one was such fun.
I'll put it up on ebay by the weekend.
Hope you enjoy it.
Regards,
Jillian

Sonia
01-07-2004, 02:45 AM
I like this one!

ceEllicott
01-07-2004, 02:46 AM
very nice Jillian

they have a lot of character.

cheryl

champagneharley
01-07-2004, 08:55 AM
Thank you Cheryl & Sonia, again, fun to do!
Not as much detail as I usually do for miniatures tho.
Regards,
Jillian

Minibrush
01-07-2004, 11:03 AM
Jillian, I think I like this one even more than the first, if possible. She has a sultry look about her. And I love the coat!!!! Keep up the good work and continued success with e-Bay sales.

Minibrush

champagneharley
01-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Jillian, I think I like this one even more than the first, if possible. She has a sultry look about her. And I love the coat!!!! Keep up the good work and continued success with e-Bay sales.

Minibrush
thank you so much!
Regards,
Jillian

Minibrush
01-23-2004, 11:10 AM
Finally finished one. First one finished this year (I'd better get to work)

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1954559#post1954559

Minibrush

champagneharley
01-23-2004, 11:27 AM
Finally finished one. First one finished this year (I'd better get to work)

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1954559#post1954559

Minibrush
Bravo!
Lovely work, lovely detail. Expert work!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Congratulations.
Regards,
Jillian