PDA

View Full Version : Lookin' out my back door

tgsloth
07-08-2012, 10:36 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-08-2012/124239_My_Back_Door.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Lookin' out my back door
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 8x10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I live in a rural area overlooking a little canyon and I see this conical hill when I look out my back door. So I figured I'd paint it plein air. There's not a lot of drama in the scene and I followed the actual analogous color scheme that nature afforded me. My wife likes it; always dangerous sign.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm wondering if I should/could add some more layers to build drama and if so, how.

crazywoman53
07-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Nice view out your back door! What I am seeing is that each of your layers of creme colored spots.. I am assuming is ground.. are all basically the same color and value. You are going to need to think front to back not only from the front of the painting to the hill but in each of those spots individually in value. That will help them to lay down and look more like ground if I am seeing this correctly. If not please forget that.

Debzy
07-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Beautiful view Bob, you are a lucky person to see this daily! I love the soft colour scheme, it has a very peaceful and calm flair to it. I agree with Christine, there is a sameness to the ground areas. Having said that however, I like the continuity you have created. Just a hint of more detail in some of those patches (more in the foreground) with slight dark tonal changes would quite possibly enhance an already lovely work of art. Kindest regards Debs. =))

Coen1
07-08-2012, 04:02 PM
I am sorry to say I don't have it with this one, tgsloth. Yes, to me it lacks drama and focus. You treated 75% of the canvas in the same manner and then decided to 'fade out' the 25% that left, it seems. This one can't compete with the slightly tipsy man on the chairs or the mill you posted before this one.
But then again, what a view you must have. Overhere in crowded Holland I see and hear my neighbours in all directions.

murphy60
07-08-2012, 04:44 PM
At first glance I wasn't crazy about this but after sitting with it for a bit I am feeling it more and more. I get a real sense of place here. Nice abstract elements resulting in almost immersive experience. I am surprised that you have done this on an 8x10. If this was on my wall I would want it large! Any plans to do this kind of work in a more expansive format? I could look at this for a long time.

murphy60
07-08-2012, 04:56 PM
..Actually it might not even need the hill or sky. I am truly enamored with the way the lower portion has been handled.

tgsloth
07-08-2012, 06:11 PM
I take from these early comments a committment to add depth going up to the hill by running a gradiant with tone/hue. I was more or less figuring to do that but wanted to get some crits first. The next question is how. I'm gonna first try glazing so as to unify the result. The piece is now dry. And Coen, my neighbors make noise too but they're skunks, bobcats, armadillos, hedgehogs, wild pigs, deer, rabbits and lots and lots of birds. What a racket!

murphy60
07-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Ok but be careful not to lose the plein air freshness!

Andrewcody
07-08-2012, 09:04 PM
TG
Nice view, I am rural also, and the view out my door would be steps going up, then hill going up, at the moment all green (yay).
If I changed my aspect a little I could add some interest/drama/tension.

My suggestion would be to lower your view, and the horizon line (raise the hill), and have the horizon cut by the conical hill. Instant added depth to the background - tension, drama added interest. By just changing your view.

Ok I know that means in reality you might need to be laying on the floor looking out the back door - :)

I like it by the way

Andrew

La_
07-09-2012, 01:09 AM
well hmm
i'm not sure if i should be afraid (walk towards the light)
intrigued (what Is beyond the 'pavement')
or in awe (i thought i lived on a big hill)

la

Andrewcody
07-09-2012, 02:52 AM
Plein Air Freshness - now that made me smile :)

AllisonR
07-09-2012, 03:10 AM
I also like the plein air freshness, especially the fresh sky colors. However, it doesn't work for me as a finished painting. There is no interest. There is a triangle, near center, 2/3 up. That is not enough to hold my attention. I think it is a nice rough sketch, or study for some larger painting with an interest, but it can't stand on it's own imo.

dgford
07-09-2012, 07:48 AM
I interpret the similarly-sized patches on the way to the hill as individual clumps of trees/shrubs. Variations in hue and tone --- and texture in the immediate foreground --- would stimulate the eye to travel back through the scene to that lovely conical hill.
May I suggest that the visual movement starts at the lower right and moves back in a somewhat vaguely crescent fashion ?
Geoff

Coen1
07-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Where I said 'chairs' I mean 'stairs'!
I think I would love your neighbours rumour!