PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Thread 6th - 12 th July.

Mo.
07-06-2003, 06:40 PM
Well Summer is in full swing now... soon be Christmas. :)
The nights are starting to draw in already.. so make the most of the warm weather and paint outdoors whether plein aire, or just sitting in the garden with a ref pic and a long cool drink...have a go.

Most of you know now what this thread is all about but for the benefit of those who are visiting for the first time:-

The objective is to paint or sketch as many times as you like during the week, but within a given time limit, i.e:-

25-30 minutes, 40-45 minutes, and 60 minutes. Small sizes, 8x10, 9x12..or whatever size you feel is right for you.

Time yourself, using a timer or alarm clock and as soon as the timer goes off...stop, and post it here...

So come on in whether you are a newbie, a professional or somewhere in between... all are welcomed here, no critiques unless you specifically want them.

Here's the link to last weeks thread:-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116567

Have fun and enjoy the sun! :)

E-J
07-07-2003, 03:06 AM
30-minute quickie in oil pastels.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2003/13865-lemon.jpg

Mo.
07-07-2003, 04:48 AM
Super E-J just what we need on a hot sunny day... just looking at it makes me feel cool! :)

soap
07-07-2003, 04:56 AM
My, you are so good at this! This lemon looks juicy! Excellent!

soap
07-07-2003, 12:11 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2003/15421-Dutch_Harbour.jpg

60 minutes.
Any good to work some more on?

E-J
07-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Looking good, Sophie. I like the effect of light hitting the water in the lower left-hand corner. Perhaps define things a little more so that the structure of the boat is a bit clearer....? It's a nice sketch.

Mo.
07-07-2003, 01:49 PM
Oooh I like this Sophie, very Turneresque, I just love it the way it is, that sky is superb!

Vegas Art Guy
07-07-2003, 02:26 PM
All right now when I get home I'm going to have to post my last conte drawing, this thread finally guilted me into it! :D Maybe my last 2 even though one is from the last part of June.... See what you did? :)

soap
07-07-2003, 02:35 PM
And another hour.....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2003/15421-Columns.jpg

E-J
07-07-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Vegas Art Guy
All right now when I get home I'm going to have to post my last conte drawing, this thread finally guilted me into it! :D Maybe my last 2 even though one is from the last part of June.... See what you did? :)

Come on, Vegas ... show us what you got :D

Gayze
07-07-2003, 04:31 PM
And a rank amateur steps gingerly into the ring....

Hope the regulars don't mind that they've inspired a newbie to give this a try. I have a long way to go, I know, but one only improves by doing, right? :)

This was a thirty minute attempt to join the fun.... Thank you, impressively talented people!!, for the inspiration! (I hope I can figure out how to attach the scan!)

--Gayze

Mo.
07-07-2003, 04:58 PM
Sophie... I'm in awe, you are on a flow girl... don't you ever paint anything even remotely cwappy:D

Fancy finishing my Cheetahs for me? It's so hot here, I have to keep stopping to let them harden off..they are tooo soft .

Gayze....Well done you!!! :clap: you've braved it! Did you do this from life? He's really cute. I wouldn't say your that much of a rank amateur either, looks all proportional to me, you've done great....do some more now.

How did you find working quickly? Did you enjoy it?

Mo.

Gayze
07-07-2003, 05:33 PM
Hi, Mo, thank you!

No, I'd love to have this little fellow as a neighbor, but this time I worked from a photo I took a couple of years ago while visiting a small farm. :) Working fast was fun, even if it felt a bit "uncontrolled". Not that that's a bad thing, I felt a bit like the pastels were doing the work and I was just along for the ride. LOL I'm sure I'll get used to it, as I really enjoyed the exercise.

This thread is delightful, I'm sure I'll be back!

--Gayze

Mo.
07-07-2003, 06:53 PM
Gayze.. what pastels did you use? The very soft pastels can run away with you when you are not used to them, maybe try a harder pastel like Nu-Pastels to start, or even pastel pencils, then progress to the softer ones...whatever you are using your control looks pretty good to me, Glad you are enjoying the pastel forum.... it should come with a warning though.... it's so addictive!! :D... keep at it girl.;)

Mo.

Mo.
07-07-2003, 07:00 PM
Okay.... two quicky sketches I did.... Shhhhhh.....don't tell, they are graphite........almost pastel.:D

My painting wasn't progressing as I wanted tonight.... spots in front of my eyes, so decided to watch a wildlife video and do some quick sketches whilst pausing the the frames....

The Canada goose took 10 mins.... difficult, 'cos video stops for 5, so had to back track to get the same frame again ....not easy.:)

The little kingfisher was 5 mins....didn't fancy backtracking on that one.

editing... posted the wrong pic...

Hang on I'll have to upload again. :o

Anyone confused yet?.... 'cos I am:D :D

here 'tis

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2003/5154-bird_sketches.jpg

E-J....... are you blotto yet?

bnoonan
07-07-2003, 07:17 PM
Looks like Mo is still awake...

Love the work you folks are up to. Sophie - you are just cranking out those fabulous pieces so quickly. I LOVE THE BOATS!!!.

Gayle - keep them coming and jump right in. It's a healthy crowd who's here to keep you busy and challenged. YOu'll love it.

EJ- luscious lemon - glad to see you painting them before squashing them. that green background and the lighting over the folds of the fabric are excellent.

Mo - you accomplish that while the birds fly by on the video screen? Or do you pause it? Love the kingfisher of course. I was once an avid birdwatcher so I truly appreciate the fine sketches.

Vegas ARt Guy - where are they??? I don't see them?

Tell you what... we'll both work on it together and challenge a few of the lurkers - what do you say???

Guilli!!! Johnny!!! Dawn!!! Mikki!!! Come out and play!!!!

I know I'm missing a bunch more of you guys.... Let's keep Mo very busy!!!

B

:D :evil:

Mo.
07-07-2003, 07:24 PM
Guilli!!! Johnny!!! Dawn!!! Mikki!!! Come out and play!!!!

I know I'm missing a bunch more of you guys.... Let's keep Mo very busy!!!

I heard that. :p

I paused the video Barb... sheesh...LOLOL!

Gayze
07-07-2003, 08:33 PM
Hi, Mo.,

Your birdies are delightful! 10 and 5 minutes, I'm way impressed! Lovely!

The pastels are Winsor & Newtons, I rather like the texture of them, they feel good going on the paper ... although I'll definitely keep the controlability of the harder pastels in mind, thanks!

B, thanks, I love it already! :D And if those lurkers come out and start posting their work, I'll love it even more.

--Gayze

Vegas Art Guy
07-08-2003, 12:11 AM
OK You asked... Here it is. Conte crayon on black paper. About 60 minutes worth of work. Comment away... :D

soap
07-08-2003, 03:16 AM
Thanks guys for your replies to my quickies. Gayle - Welcome! And have fun. This already looks so good! Well done.
Mo- what a good idea.....using the video......love them (even though they are not...sssshhhh) And Vegas- well done! Love the colours! But the bottle is a bit crooked, is that supposed to be the way? :D

Does anybody have the problem of starting to drown in too many paintings at home? What do you do with them all? Throw them after a couple of years? Straight away? Keep them forever?

E-J
07-08-2003, 03:49 AM
LOL Mo, sadly even alcohol's no fun when you can't taste it :rolleyes:

Welcome to the thread, Gayle and Vegas Guy! :clap:

Barb, the lemon didn't end up squashed but stuck up a chicken's bottom :) Now there's a subject ...

Mystiq
07-08-2003, 07:51 AM
Hello peoples - thought I'd join in too :D Done in Conte's during the ad breaks watching tv tonight.... so maybe 15 minutes or so although I'd probably be surprised at how many ads they fit into an hour long program!!...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2003/22925-pear-8-7-03.jpg

Can't make the colour come out right on the digi... Oh well!
~Tracy

Gayze
07-08-2003, 09:33 AM
Tracy, your pear made my tummy growl. Must be breakfast time. <G> Lovely!

E-J and soap (hope it's okay if I use 'forum user names' while getting used to everyone's real ones :-), thanks for the welcome, and I really enjoyed your entries, too! Going to toss the lemon in with the pear for a fruit salad any minute now. :-) The boat scene was stunning, and just love the choice of colors in the building columns!

Vegas, your color selections for the bottle were striking, too!

(having fun....)
--Gayze

soap
07-08-2003, 12:12 PM
Lovely pear! Great green!

Worked some more on the boats, and as to not swamp you with my stuff, posted it in the critique forum :D

Cheers all.

Vegas Art Guy
07-08-2003, 01:18 PM
mmmmmm pears! yummy! I still owe this thread one more drawing. Thought I took a photo of it but I was WRONG! :D I'll try to correct that oversight tonight.

Deborah Secor
07-08-2003, 02:42 PM
This is soooooo good for me to do. :D

Here's my 40 minuter, on Wallis that was 'toned' the green you see at the bottom--the toning came from wiping out a previous bad painting, which I do all the time. I guess I'm too cheap to use more paper most of the time!

The image is 18x12" and the place is in the mountains near my home.

Vegas Art Guy
07-08-2003, 02:58 PM
That is a nice drawing Dee! Love the green tint to it! Here is a brand new one. Conte on Black 60# paper. About 30minutes worth of drawing. That sign says "This is NOT a touch screen" It's the back end monitor for a XEROX 2060 color copier and yes it IS a touch screen... It gave me something to do while running a big color copy job. Photo and touch up courtesy of David Vaughan... AKA ssnipe. comment away..... critique even.... just don't laugh too loudly. :D

Kathryn Wilson
07-08-2003, 04:21 PM
Dee: What I like about this painting is that you used red in the rocks - something to think about when I am doing the rocks I don't do well at all. I just can't seem to get the shapes right -

I have to keep telling myself, blocks of color, blocks of color - no detail - block of color. I'll get it yet!

:rolleyes:

Gayze
07-08-2003, 04:29 PM
Vegas, I'm really liking the looks of the colors you use on the black paper. Very striking.

Dee, Wow, water and rocks! Gee, doesn't sound like it would elicit an "Oooooh!" when I type it ... but it sure did! And in 40 minutes!

--Gayze

Kathryn Wilson
07-08-2003, 04:29 PM
Soap: Just read back through all the posts - I am having the same problem here with all these pieces floating around the studio. I have taken to stacking them with tissue paper inbetween - a temporary solution until I figure out what to do with it all. On top of that, my pieces are getting bigger!!!

Love all the work you guys are doing - doing some cleaning up, cleaning out, organizing, and figuring out what I am doing next today. Just too darn hot - :mad:

Vegas Art Guy
07-08-2003, 04:48 PM
I need to clean the closet in my studio so I have more room to store my mistakes. :D My wife promised me that we could store the blankets and pillows elsewhere. Guess I have something to do now. Kyle I know about the heat, thank God no humidity yet. Nothing worse than 110+ and 40% humidity, like getting stuck in a giant sauna with no cool lake to jump into.

Deborah Secor
07-08-2003, 06:07 PM
Hope you all don't mind if I post another one I've done today. I'd love to hear your critiques of this one. I need to paint larger pieces so this one is 18x24" on Wallis toned a deep rust color.

Here it is at one hour. There's plenty more to do. My biggest question right now is the larger grayish rock at the very bottom. Maybe it's a weird shape or color or something...any ideas? Also wonder about the placement of the pinkish rock upper left. Should it be smaller, another shape?

What else jumps out??? Help! (Thanks.)

Mo.
07-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Mystiq
Hello peoples - thought I'd join in too :D Done in Conte's during the ad breaks watching tv tonight.... so maybe 15 minutes or so although I'd probably be surprised at how many ads they fit into an hour long program!!...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2003/22925-pear-8-7-03.jpg

Can't make the colour come out right on the digi... Oh well!
~Tracy

Glad you joined in with this one tracy... it's a cracker!:)

Mo.
07-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Vegas Art Guy
OK You asked... Here it is. Conte crayon on black paper. About 60 minutes worth of work. Comment away... :D

Vegas..... about time too.... love this bottle quite an unusual shape, your painting doesn't show here as you've not used the uploader

Mo.
07-08-2003, 06:38 PM
Well you lot have been so busy, I've had a lot of catching up to do here, been out gadding all day... off the computer for once, and again tomorrow I have lots of running around to do, so again won't be here until late.... All these super paintings a feast for sore yes.

Deborah both of your paintings are cracking, they remind me of watercolour too although I know they aren't, just has that look about them...post as many as you like there is no restriction, I love seeing your work... didn't honestly notice anything about the rocks until you mentioned it, my eye was taken to the water cascading downwards, but now you mention it, maybe make the bottom rock a tad smaller and more rounded, and lighten the dark shadow a tad on the upper one.... but it's your painting,
I think you've answered your own questions :D

Keep 'em coming folks!

Kathryn Wilson
07-08-2003, 06:41 PM
dee: The large rock at the bottom is missing your light source coming from the left - just a touch of something lighter on the flat surface on the left plane of the rock?? Or is there something hanging over it to place it in shadow?

I think the one at the top is fine -

Mo.
07-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Had an email from Dawn tonight, she's having difficulty loggin into WC! and has asked me to post this on her behalf.

She says it took about an hour and wonders whether to finish it or not.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2003/5154-Dawns_angel.jpg

I think she should.

Have to get a new keyboard, this one keeps missing letters. :D

Kathryn Wilson
07-08-2003, 06:51 PM
Mo: Tell Dawn we miss her.:( I think this one should be finished - there's those big eyes again!! Such soft colors too. I want to see more!

Vegas Art Guy
07-08-2003, 07:01 PM
I'm still learning all the tricks here on DA, have not gotten around to messing with the uploader. I mean to I really do, but then I get distracted by this thread, that drawing, this discussion, that figure painting, and on and on and on.... :D I promise I'll start messing around with the uploader asap...

Kathryn Wilson
07-08-2003, 07:23 PM
Now, Vegas Guy - just hit that uploader button, find your photo on your computer with the Browse button, and hit "upload." Copy the image code by highlighting, then go to the forum you want to post in, start a post, then paste your image code into it.

Excuses, excuses - we want to see your work! :D :D :D

Vegas Art Guy
07-08-2003, 07:38 PM
I want to see my work too... completed that is! :D :D, yes I will start doing that when I get home, are there any file size limits like when I attach the file the newbie way?

Kathryn Wilson
07-08-2003, 07:56 PM
Vegas Guy: We try to keep it 400 x 400 or less - it will tell you if the file is too big.

Mystiq
07-08-2003, 08:06 PM
Wow, look what happens when I turn off the computer and get 8 hours sleep!!! There's dozens of new posts here!!! :D Thank you to everybody who commented :)
Well, off to have breakfast now!

Mystiq
07-08-2003, 10:12 PM
And I'm back again :evil:
Here is another pear (or rather the same one since it's not ripe enough to eat yet!) done in soft pastels this time on the smooth size of mi teintes paper. 45 minutes...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2003/22925-pastelpear-9-7-03.jpg

Mo.
07-09-2003, 05:26 AM
Good one Tracy... you are going great guns...

Vegas Guy: We try to keep it 400 x 400 or less - it will tell you if the file is too big.

can be a bit bigger than that... max width 500 max height 600 and max file 100K... must be either Jpeg or Gif... anything else is dumped.

It does help a lot to use the uploader as then we can see your work whilst commenting.......

E-J
07-09-2003, 08:17 AM
My last few posts yesterday and today have all taken me to an error page and when I use my Back button, my message is lost :confused: Haven't got the energy to retype everything again ... will just say ... nice sketches everyone :)

Deborah Secor
07-09-2003, 05:31 PM
Tracy, that pear looks luscious!

I decided to work on the water and rocks and broke all the 'rules'--painting for I don't know how long. I think it's almost finished and thought I'd share it. It's over 100 degrees (F) here today and this cool water just takes me away...

Mo.
07-09-2003, 05:37 PM
Oooh yes! :clap: That is so inviting... want to paddle my feet in that.....the water is superb.

Mo.

Kathryn Wilson
07-09-2003, 05:40 PM
Thanks for sending us such a nice, cooling picture to view - it's well over 90 here and very humid. Ozone alert also.

The greens are luscious and just right for the color under the water.

Toes feeling better Mo? LOL

Vegas Art Guy
07-09-2003, 05:55 PM
So THAT's what a real stream looks like. The only streams here always seem to have fountains and pretty lights... Nice job on the painting... >sigh< supposed to reach 110 today.

Madder
07-09-2003, 07:29 PM
Hi everyone,
Joined two days ago and have been dabbling with pastels for a while, but only took a course last autumn. I have a lot to learn still, but will try to stick at it and not get discouraged too quickly.
Anyway, this is one I made earlier in about 30 minutes...

talk to y'all soon again.
Madder

Vegas Art Guy
07-09-2003, 07:38 PM
Very nice for 30 minutes of work. Keep it up you have the pastel knack.

Craig Houghton
07-09-2003, 09:32 PM
amazing stuff everyone!

dee_artist - I'm absolutely taken aback by the quality of that water - wonderful!

madder - looks great. I'm glad you joined.

Each of these took about 15 minutes. I'm trying to get a handle on cloud formations while learning the differences between my altos and cirros. Tomorrow I'll try some other variations. I'm getting ready to post a new thread on cloud types and how I've handled the clouds in my earlier posts. For now, I'm practicing :P

these are assorted supersofts on a bristol I primed with gouache-tinted colourfix primer

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2003/21273-clouds_sheet1.JPG

also, I aqured some pismacolor markers today. I blocked in an apple in marker and put some pastels over it - this was a quick 5 min (if that) experiment.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2003/21273-apple.JPG

btw, prismacolors are really tough to handle for a pastel junky used to moving from darks to lights

-Craig

Vegas Art Guy
07-09-2003, 11:25 PM
mmmmm apples... Great job on the apple and the clouds.

Deborah Secor
07-10-2003, 12:28 AM
Madder-- Glad you joined us here. I think your painting is very fine and agree that you have the pastel knack. I'd like to see more...

Craig-- what size are these little cloud studies? They look small. One exercise I do with my students--a fun one--is to limit the palette to only 10 colors and have them paint cloud studies in only 20 minutes to a half hour on a piece of paper no larger than 9x12". I'm very impressed with your 15 minuters and look forward to the new thread.

Whatever else happened with the Prismacolors, the results are yummy. That apple fairly glows!

I'm off to bed now, and up in the morning to go out and paint on location. I sure hope it isn't as hot tomorrow as it was today. I'll melt!

Dyin
07-10-2003, 01:15 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2003/19147-Cnv0114.jpg

Sorry this is so fuzzy...can't seem to hold my camera still at night...
I've been lurking on these quick things...but never had the energy left over to do them. I usually take 50 times the hour it took to do this on my paintings...I'm very slow and methodic. But when I saw Craig's skies I thought of this photo from our last place in New Mexico...one of many gorgeous sunsets.

And on all of yours...

E-J...lucsious lemon!
Soap...awesome ships and columns were cool too
Gayze...welcome! Cute little guy!
Mo...used to do a lot of birds...love them
Vegas Art Guy...nice highlights on the glass behind the bottle!
Mystiq...great pears...but partial to the OP
Dee_artist...just awesome water...especially the second one
Dawn...wow...love the necklace...finish it!
Madder...looks good....your water looks COLD!
Craig...missin an hour of much needed beauty sleep cuz of you...very nice clouds, lower left is my fave...nice apple too...

Hope I didn't miss anyone...Soap...old paintings make great presents...I keep some to remember my journey with and the bad ones go to Mr. Trash collector....

angecald
07-10-2003, 01:43 AM
Well, things are sure hoppin' on this thread today!

E-J, good lemon. I especially like the green cloth.

Sophie, you're on to something with the boat pictures. Do make more.

Gayze, is that a Highland Cow? (Somehow you only see them referred to in the plural, Highland Cattle - and "cow" sounds funny.) Saw some of those at the Highland Village in Cape Breton a few summers ago, and I have photos of some of their sweet beige-and-brown lambs.

Mo, I'm very impressed with your bird sketches. I happen to live within spitting distance of a major breeding ground for Canada Geese, so I've seen more than a few, but I've never produced such a well-observed sketch. From a video, wow!

Vegas Art Guy, nice to see you joining in. I like your dark-toned sketches.

Mystiq - love your green pear. If it's the same in Australia as it is here, it's the programming that takes 15 minutes, not the commercials! Good idea to use that time.

Dee Artist, a pleasure to see your work. I'll be studying them and stealing any idea I can. (Fair Warning!)

Dawn, finish the the picture, woman! What are you thinking? She's gorgeous.

Madder, welcome to the thread. That's an excellent start. Looking forward to seeing more.

And I suppose you're all wondering where MY sketches are. Well, I really have done some and I hope to post them tomorrow.

E-J
07-10-2003, 03:44 AM
Woo hooooo! I can finally post again!! Yesterday was so frustrating. Couldn't post ... was forced to go and paint instead, LOL. I sat and pastelled away happily for 2 hours, which is over the limit for this thread, of course, but I'll post separately when I'm done.

Madder, welcome to the forum ... I think your landscape is super.

Sue, wish I could see an unblurry pic as that sky looks awesome! I love the 'tall' format, very unusual for a sunset. Is this in oil or soft pastels?

Craig's got his head in the clouds again :) They look great together ~ you should stick them in a multiple frame. Have you seen Deborah [dee_artist]'s article in the latest Pastel Journal on observing skies?

Which brings me to Deborah ... great stuff ... in your first sketch I love the gestural marks you've used to suggest the water, and the red is inspired! The more finished piece is wonderful too.

Please use the Uploader tool so that we can see your pictures as we're replying! :)

E-J
07-10-2003, 03:45 AM
I forgot to add ... Dawn ... look forward to seeing Big Eyes finished :)

Smudger
07-10-2003, 05:04 AM
WOW!!! so many amazing paintings this week:clap: :clap:

well done everyone:clap:

Mo.
07-10-2003, 05:05 AM
Good to see you posting Madder... I agree with the others too, you've got the knack for pastels....

Love those cloud studies Craig, look forward to your thread should make a very interesting one.

Sue shame your pic turned out fuzzy......still rather beautiful all the same...gorgeous colours.

E-J... Bet you went out kicking and screaming too..:D Looking forward to seeing what you've painted.

Madder
07-10-2003, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the kind comments.. :) I have to admit I was eager to have a look to see if anyone had noticed my post...
Dee_artist, I thought your rocks in the water re terrific. How do you get such control? my painting was blurry, not because of 'style' but because I don't know how to get the sharpness.. heehee.
Craig, I especially liked the two paintings below. Love those warmer colors in the clouds with the green of the trees, terrific...

Well, I liked all the paintings I looked at in fact. Wow!

I've been trying to add some paintings to the image library, of Vermeer, but does anyone know how I can add Vermeer's name in the subcategory? And how can I be sure there's no copyright issue. Vermeer is long gone of course but does the museum hold the copyright then? Is it OK to upload paintings of all painters deceased?
Will do some house cleaning now (to soothe my conscience) and will then pick up those sticks again... :p
Bye

soap
07-10-2003, 08:06 AM
There is no copyright on images of Vermeer. But sometimes the images are taken from a book or another website and THEY can be copyrighted! Check out where you took them from.
Another thing.....but I am not sure......ask the WCguide of the image library, is that the image library is only for photos. Or am I mistaken? I thought so.

Gayze
07-10-2003, 09:38 AM
Wow, woke up this morning to some delightful new images from delightful new friends.

:clap:

Good job, everyone! I love this thread, it's so inspiring. And just what I needed after wasting much of yesterday trying to track down a Dick Blick package that FedEx lost on me! :crying:

Hope I don't miss anyone ... was actually trying to jot down notes so I won't forget, but I'm pretty hopeless in the memory department. ::grin::

Agnes, thanks! Yes, he's a "Highland" -- to confuse things further, he's a steer. So officially I guess he's a Scotch Highland steer.

Madder, lovely landscape! Love the way the stream leads you toward the horizon, and that gray sky was very "emotional"! (Did that make sense?)

Craig, fifteen minutes? You did each of those in fifteen minutes? Wow, cool! I just love clouds -- you do them proud. And the apple is yummy!

My daughter is waiting for a set of prismacolors to arrive -- she received a Dick Blick (hope FedEx can get this one right!!) gift certificate from her "aunt and uncle" (actually my best friend and her hubby) for a graduation present. She's quite talented at anime and comic art -- I should check to see if WetCanvas has a channel for her. I think I'll bring her in and show her your apple for inspiration.

Sue ("Dyin", I saw someone else call you Sue?), loved the sunset! Intense! So glad you posted it!

Dawn, those eyes on the little girl are just heart-grabbing! Please finish her, she wants to be finished.
:)

Deborah, "hooray" on the polished stream! I have to agree about the green underlying the water, it really brings out the character in the painting! Love it!

And "good morning, all"! I hope to try another quickie today ... providing life's little frustrations don't sideline me again.

--Gayze

Dyin
07-10-2003, 09:52 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2003/19147-southern_sunset_on_NM_property.jpg

this is the photo..nice and clear there lol! Sorry...didn't keep the one I did, but the rules said use a timer and then post, so I did. Just thought you'd all enjoy the scene...I miss those New Mexico skies....and I did it tall because I remember almost falling over backwards looking at those skies, I lived in the foothills overlooking White Sands and sometimes it really did seem like I was on the stairway to heaven!

nougat
07-10-2003, 02:03 PM
WOW

What fun!! and Well done all these sketches are all great!!

I'd LOOVE to join but my camera has died on me... and my scanner is a hand held one.... well perhaps if I tried something small....

n

Kathryn Wilson
07-10-2003, 04:41 PM
Dyin - what a delicious sky. White Sands . . . whoo wee, I can't imagine the temperature on those flats today. Good thing you had a photo to work from.

Mo.
07-10-2003, 04:41 PM
LOL Gayle.... I think you are addicted.:D

Sue that sunset is so gorgeous... sounds like you live in the most colourful part of the planet... WOW!!
Paint some more of these I say.:)

Nougat... most of the paintings done here are small,
the objective of this thread is to do quick small spontaneous sketches within a time limit and so help train eye and hand co-ordination... so no excuses... have a go. :D ;)

Mo.

bnoonan
07-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Wow - I just can't keep up with you guys. Each one of these paintings deserves their own thread!!!

I'm dang impressed. Barb

Deborah Secor
07-10-2003, 04:56 PM
I had a wonderful time out on the other side of the mountain painting with a few friends this morning. It was 'cool', meaning it was not as hot as it could have been and soon began to be!

Here's one of my half hour paintings, on La Carte (darker brown this time) about 13x19".

Dyin
07-10-2003, 07:01 PM
ahhh, Dee....it's so THERE! I don't live in NM anymore...moved north to tater country, but I SOOOOOO miss it...I'd give my eye teeth to be down there with my OPs...I was airbrushing when we lived there and they couldn't come close to capturing it. You did great catching this mood...other side of which mountain???

Mo.
07-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Deborah I love your touch with pastels, another super painting gorgeous colours in those mountains, I hope you take time to finish.... BTW when you say cool, how cool was hot? :D

bnoonan
07-10-2003, 07:08 PM
Dee - when is your next workshop??? I want to sign up immediately and learn some of this wonderful landscape work. It's outstanding!!!

PS: Or would you rather come to San Francisco and stay with us and paint and teach??? hmmmmm....

Barb

Deborah Secor
07-10-2003, 07:40 PM
You all are making me blush... but thanks!

The mountain is Sandia, with the city of Albuquerque smack up against it. I live on the east side, at about 7000 feet, but the place we painted was around on the city side up on the northwest shoulder of the mountain. It really is beautiful. We met at 8 AM, which was too late for me--the light was going already. But it was only in the 70s at that hour. It's almost 100 degrees up here now (it's near 6 in the evening) and when it's that hot here it's bound to be 105 in the city. So now I'm wondering why we're going into town tonight...?

I'd love to have anyone join me for workshops--the next one is next week. Wanta come? LOL I have a 3 1/22 day workshop along the Turquoise Trail (that's highway 14, where I live) and only four women coming--which means it will be relaxed and fun, and I'll have time to paint too!

As soon as #1 son (our only kid) is out of high school next year I'm off to teach workshops anywhere they'll have me! I really hope to get abook written by that time--dream on-- and that would just be a lovely time to do it all, wouldn't it? I can dream...

Thanks again all of you!

Dyin
07-10-2003, 07:51 PM
ooh, ooh, ooh....been on 14 lots of times! Used to ride up from White Sands, thru Mountainair on our way north...have you been up by Jemez painting??? I remember it being very cool on rocks up there...tunnels and everything! Wish I could come but all my money tied up in new Oil Pastels...maybe someday!

nougat
07-11-2003, 02:17 AM
WOW Dee this is fab!! Are these OIL pastels??

Any chance of workshops in Europe :) Malta :D ????

n

Deborah Secor
07-11-2003, 11:33 AM
Yep, Dyin, I have been to Jemez. In fact, the painting of the rocks and water is from Battleship Rock, which is one of the cool rock places.

I haven't gotten into oil pastels, nougat, but I've interviewed a few artists who work with them and they seem really interesting. Some of the work done in OP is just beautiful. However, these are all soft pastels. I guess I still love the dustiness...

nougat
07-11-2003, 11:47 AM
OK MO!!

I did these 2 today. Each took 40 mins. size 6X9 ins pastel paper. The flower is in pastel pencils and the portrait is in oil pastels. Unfortunately there is NO resemblance at all to my 8 year old son.....:( nor even much to the flower actually :(

n

nougat
07-11-2003, 11:49 AM
I can't get the uploader to work. so here's the other pic.

n

Dark_Shades
07-11-2003, 12:33 PM
got toooooooooooooo behind with this thread what with all the computer probs etc.........

Just wanted to welcome all the newbies......... how wonderful to see you all........ and such great art works.........

Great Guns :clap:

Dyin
07-11-2003, 01:45 PM
Nougat...I love the green highlights in the portrait...I think how great an effect that could be to show someone fresh out of the water...the flower's not bad either!

Vegas Art Guy
07-11-2003, 02:26 PM
great job on the drawing of your son, loved it. finished another quick sketch today, pencil and conte crayon, I'll upload it tonite when I get home and scan it in.

Kathryn Wilson
07-11-2003, 02:57 PM
As I come crashing in with the only thing I've done this week - this morning. Art Spectrum 9 x 12 blue. Never done clouds before and it certainly is something I could get addicted to doing. I blended like I have never blended before - but it was fun!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2003/14941-clouds2.JPG

Vegas Art Guy
07-11-2003, 03:55 PM
Wow, nice drawing, looks like you had fun with that one. I like the colors and the energy you created.

Kathryn Wilson
07-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Thanks Vegas Guy - my DH thought the lightning was kewl. He is a lightning nut anyway - stands out in storms to watch the sky. LOL

Have a good weekend and stay cool if you can!

Deborah Secor
07-11-2003, 06:08 PM
Kat-- I like the way you drew the eye right to the building with the colors. Nice punch to that. The slanted rain pointing to it works well, too.

:D

Vegas Art Guy
07-11-2003, 09:44 PM
OK as advertised here is my timed drawing. 35 minutes, the time it took to run a 500 page duplexed color copy job. Pencil and conte crayon. Enjoy and feel free to comment etc...:D

Kathryn Wilson
07-11-2003, 09:55 PM
Thanks Deborah - I was concentrating so much on the clouds, I did not do much detail in the rest of the painting - LOL. Do you think the lightning if too hokey? Some SW artists use it a fair bit - thought it would electrify the painting!

Vegas Guy: You got those elipses down pat - something not everyone can do. :clap:

Dyin
07-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Lightning not hokey at all...and the clouds came out lovely...and Vegas...that seems to be the angle we all look at our cups, but isn't usually drawn...good job!

Vegas Art Guy
07-11-2003, 10:27 PM
Thanks, getting the right perspective was a serious pain in the penicl, glad it turned out OK.

Deborah Secor
07-12-2003, 11:02 AM
Vegas--I'm seriously hoping that cup is FULL of coffee, since I have not yet had mine this morning...

I heard from a friend that it was 121 degrees in Vegas, down in the valley, yesterday!!! Maybe your cup better have ice water in it...

Seriously, that's a very nice rendering.
:)

nougat
07-12-2003, 01:16 PM
Thanks for comments Vegas and Dyin.

Kyle - loved the storm!!

Vegas the coffee drawing is great!!

Actually ALL the posts are super so well done all!

n

Dark_Shades
07-12-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by kyle
As I come crashing in with the only thing I've done this week - this morning. Art Spectrum 9 x 12 blue. Never done clouds before and it certainly is something I could get addicted to doing. I blended like I have never blended before - but it was fun!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2003/14941-clouds2.JPG

I like this alot Kyle

...... whats hokey :confused:

Dark_Shades
07-12-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by dee_artist
Tracy, that pear looks luscious!

I decided to work on the water and rocks and broke all the 'rules'--painting for I don't know how long. I think it's almost finished and thought I'd share it. It's over 100 degrees (F) here today and this cool water just takes me away...

oohhhhhh yes the water is lovely........ could of done with this today...... been sooooooooooo hotttttt!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2003/12116-riversecor.jpg

Deborah Secor
07-12-2003, 02:35 PM
hmmmm, my husband looked at my water and rocks painting and said it needs a rubber ducky...

I'm actually considering it! LOL Whaddaya think?

Mo.
07-12-2003, 02:35 PM
Nougat Love the flower and that portrait is super... whether it looks like your son or not:) Love the colour choices... gives it a special touch.

Great atmospheric sky Kat... the clouds look so realistic...the lightning is a great touch too.:)

Hey Vegas.... nowt timid about your drawing...it's a great little composition, you 've done well with this one. :0

Deborah, it's been a scorcher here today too... getting hotter again tomorrow, I'm wilting and melting away. :D

Kathryn Wilson
07-12-2003, 02:40 PM
Deborah: Rubber duckie?! The heat has gotten to you surely - LOL! I see it's going to be 112 in Phoenix today - oh my, I hope Albuquerque is higher in altitude and a little cooler.

I think everyone wants to stick their toes in the water!

Deborah Secor
07-12-2003, 02:51 PM
They're calling for 100 in the city, so it should top out at 95 or 96 up here in the mountains. We have no air conditioning, though, so it can get mighty uncomfortable. I use the fan and a spray bottle a lot!

Mo.
07-12-2003, 04:21 PM
:D:D Dee! I missed him, he's so tiny....Just hatched out hey:D

Vegas Art Guy
07-12-2003, 08:30 PM
Rubber duckie, where's Earnie? lol too funny. And the coffee cup was empty, had my 2 BIG cups and was on to ice water. Only 113 on Thursday, 115 on Friday and 110+ so far today.... Go DRY heat... :D