PDA

View Full Version : RMS "Titanic" - Dedicated to Mrs Faye Murray

Mark A Bufton
07-07-2012, 07:09 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2012/1089562-Photo0848.jpg

Not the best photo - the fact that the sky is actually powder blue is testament to this.

This 12 x 10 inch acrylic painting was nothing more than an exercise in painting the ocean (my first ever attemp and far from my proudest achievement). I know this isn't aviation art but I guess transport art was included in the forum description so maybe my membership is still safe for now ;-)

My other major issue with this is that the funnels actually extend much too far aft. This was a quick fix on my part which most fail to notice, fortunately. They should also be highlighted more, but perhaps I'm being critical :-/

Mark.

Shamrock15
07-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Thanks for posting Mark. I think if this was a first attempt at oceans, you probably have many good years of painting ahead of you. Small tip - grey out some of the wake as it goes into the distance. It will help the painting recede and add depth. You can also post ones like this in the Marine forum. They love their ships there. Looking forward to seeing your Mustang!

vegaskip
07-08-2012, 04:23 AM
Hi Mark, I agree with D'Arsy, for a first attempt it is excellent. The one thing I would say, and it is purely my own preference, the ship is effectively like a wild animal in a cage, it can only go two inches forward, and it has only traveled two inches.
There are quite a few sites with ship 'portraits' and you can see the difference when people posting them have cropped the original too tight, I'm sure the original artists are spinning in their graves!
Anyway good work and I lookforward to seeing more.
Jim

shadwell
07-08-2012, 05:13 AM
terrific work but one thing confuses me !! the wake does'nt look quite right !! as i'm not a ship artist i can't place it but it looks as if it has handbrake turned onto the canvas , i'd suspect a wrong angle or perspective somewhere !!

NeilF92
07-08-2012, 06:33 AM
Given that it's a first try at ocean painting it has come out pretty well.
I'm not sure if the rigging would appear as prominent as you depict but I'd be pleased with the end result if that was my first go.

Mark A Bufton
07-08-2012, 06:39 AM
I do see where you're coming from with the wake's the niggly bit that I don't like very much, but some awesome feedback - normally I simply get "oh, wow, that looks fantastic" but I can't improve with that kind of feedback so a breath of fresh air to have some I can actually put to use.

There's a marine forum....missed that one but never mind. Maybe a good place to post my second attempt ;-)

I'm desperate to get my mustang finished. I did post a pic of it (ongoing background, minus mustang) in my introduction thread in the welcome area. It's based largely on a picture from a book which I took an instant liking to...quite a compliment to the photographer really as it's very hard to draw me from my beloved Spitfire :-D

Mark A Bufton
07-08-2012, 06:42 AM
Given that it's a first try at ocean painting it has come out pretty well.
I'm not sure if the rigging would appear as prominent as you depict but I'd be pleased with the end result if that was my first go.

You are quite right regarding the rigging. I must confess that I didn't think that stage through very well, lol.

shadwell
07-08-2012, 07:20 AM
I'm desperate to get my mustang finished. I did post a pic of it (ongoing background, minus mustang) in my introduction thread in the welcome area. It's based largely on a picture from a book which I took an instant liking to...quite a compliment to the photographer really as it's very hard to draw me from my beloved Spitfire :-D

the spitfire looks good from every angle and certainly the most impressive airframe and great to watch in real life

but the mustang has a lot of virtues caught in certain poses and certain light they are fantasticly artistic beasts there are the odd paintings that you can observe , that that mustang howl seems to echo in the background of

halthepainter
07-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Mark you would probably get better feedback if you post your marine art in the Marine Forum. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=135

Several artists worked very hard to get approval for the "Aviation Art Forum" I would hate for their efforts to be diluted by turning this into a travel forum.

Mark A Bufton
07-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Aye, I seem to have missed the marine forum. The text on my phone should be bigger really. Computers I can do but, when it comes to phones, I'm completely useless :-D Perhaps a Mod or Admin might be able to move it.

You can't beat a Spitfire in my opinion. Probably why I invested in helping to restore one. Maybe I'll be able to spend some time painting one when I finish my mustang :-)