PDA

View Full Version : Rainforest Mural

animal
12-14-2000, 06:42 PM
I am wanting to do a mural indoors of a rainforest and am wondering how to go about and what materials I would need? The mural would include many birds ,insects,reptiles and animals?

CarlyHardy
12-14-2000, 07:26 PM
Check out the previously posted message about murals...it has some really good comments about paints and an example of a wall mural.

I find that children's books are great resources for murals, especially the ones that just include various types of animals, insects, fish, etc. They have really nice colors, too.

You might find a book about the rainforest in the library for some good resources.
A projector is a good tool for sizing the images on the wall surface and sketching them on.
carly

------------------
http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/chclements/

roxanne_mc
12-14-2000, 10:16 PM
check out the post indoor murals.. no sence repeating what I said there.. if you need any additional information I would be happy to help, I have been painting indoor murals for ten years now as a business...glad to help
Roxanne

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

animal
12-19-2000, 10:35 PM
Thanks Carly and Roxanne,
I want this mural to have realistic animals and birds because I want it to look realistic. I am not sure how to prepare the wall(which is a shiny surface of paint??)and what paint would be good for this subject??

roxanne_mc
01-03-2001, 01:35 PM
glossy and semi-gloss are very shiney..
to prepare the wall sand it then paint with a latex wall preparer.. I dont' really understand what you mean by shiney? Email me and let me know how far you have gotton..I didn't know you had posted back here. I will be glad to help.
Roxanne

------------------
everywhere I see art!
my pages..brag..brag..brag
http://members.nbci.com/slyasthecat/Index.htm
http://members.nbci.com/c_hikers/Index.htm

Shriner
02-05-2001, 03:49 AM
Hey cool! I did some rainforest murals inside a massive artificial indoor rainforest - what a coincindence!

sounds like others have already answered your questions, but feel free to e-mail me if you need to

------------------
Shriner

sajemak
12-08-2001, 11:55 PM
Ok Animal.....we spoke about some of this in chat so I will try to be brief! :D

You should first do a sketch of your mural. When you have the sketch the way you want it, you will need to transfer this sketch onto your wall. You can use a projector, or you can use the grid method. There are other methods as well. I have not yet purchased a projector....so I've used freehand and the grid method.

You can draw a grid over your sketch.....for example...if your 'boxes' are 1 inch than that is the equivelant of 1 ft on your wall. The size of the grid will depend on how much detail is in the drawing....the more details, the smaller your grid squares should be.

To transfer your design onto the wall, I would use either a piece of chalk or watercolor pencil. You could also use thinned paint in a neutral color to outline your sketch as well.

When you start painting your mural.....try to work from the background to the foreground. Background would include things like the sky, distant hills or mountains, and trees that are far away....and are usually painted in 'cool' tones. Your brightest colors would be in the foreground.

You will also need to decide which direction your light source is coming from.....and work your shading and highlights according to its direction.

I have a couple of good books on murals that I would like to recommend.

The first is 'Marvelous Murals You Can Paint' by Gary Lord and David Schmidt

And 'Painting Murals-Images, Ideas, and Techniques' by Patricial Seligman

Those should help you get your feet wet.....
:D

Hope this helps!

Cap
12-10-2001, 09:24 AM
Hi Animal, you may remember I did a whole room for a client in the rainforest theme. Put down lots of dust sheets and go mad. I took a lot of images from childrens books.

Cap
12-10-2001, 09:26 AM
I used latex paint and mixed the colors as I needed them. If you would like anymore pics e-mail me . I will be happy to send them to you.

Paul Davis
12-27-2001, 12:28 AM
I see you have alot of good suggestions. I would add that a good cleaning, light sanding and good primer are important for your mural to hold well.
I use an opaque projector and LOTS of National Geographic magazines. Thrift stores have them for 25 cents or so.
Layout is important for balance in the room.
Good Luck!:cat:

Paul Davis
12-27-2001, 12:32 AM
I should have added that I like acrylics for murals. If you don't like something you've done, you can paint over it in a short while.
Also, I use coloring books for basic outlines then the painting part is fun.
Be very patient with yourself...murals take alot more effort than you can anticipate.