PDA

View Full Version : Daily Scumble July 6th

gredelin
07-06-2003, 06:02 AM
Hi everybody!

Thought I'd share a bit of what's going on, and why I'm never here anymore...

We're getting settled in our new home, and I'm keeping busy going to parks and playgrounds, meeting up with old girlfriends, and spending time with my family and in-laws. In addition, I'm looking for a job which has been taking a lot of energy - spending time surfing job sites, fretting over my resume, talking to old colleagues and potential employers on the phone... not getting a lot done but feeling busy anyway.

Last week, all this pseudo-action resulted in three interviews, and I'm going to another on Tuesday - pretty good results considering the holidays have started and the entire country is practically shut down. Only problem is, several of the jobs I'm pursuing are in another city (where we used to live and work) and now we have to decide where we want to end up. Small town charm and proximity to the boys' grandparents, or a larger town with more going on, and where most of our friends are? The thought of moving again isn't very appealing... so it's tempting to follow the path of least resistance.

Oh well - any day now, I'll start painting again! As soon as my dh is done working, end of July, I'll have loads of time, and I promised my sister-in-law a portrait of her daughter. By the way, one or two of you might remember I got a commission a few months back, a little girl. I reworked it three times, had to ask for new photos, but in the end the mom loved it! One of my proudest moments, handing it to her and getting paid.

Take care - especially Dawn, if you see this!

/Gunilla

Mo.
07-06-2003, 07:38 AM
Hi Gunilla wondered where you've been, you've been having a hectic time of things. Good luck with your job hunting hope you can find something that suits without you having to move again.... congrats on the commmission too, it's a great feeling isn't it. :)

Well where is everyone today.... Sophie, how did the ball go, are you nursing a hang-over :D

It's lunch time here now, so off to have a nice bacon butty....Mmmmm... and then paint some more.

soap
07-06-2003, 10:48 AM
Hi Gunilla - how nice to hear from you and how things are going! You seem indeed very busy! But I am sure you'll find a nice job and settle in soon. And then we can enjoy some more of your paintings! I hope you can find another portraiture class?

He Mo, am so looking forward to what you're painting! Bacon-butties sounds nice too....yum yum....can you pass me one?

My ball..........was a blast! It was really great fun. I had never been to such a party (as it was more a huge party than what I would consider a 'ball') and it was very, ahem, 'society' 'celebrity'....it was all for a children hospital charity. I am sure loads and loads of money went to the hospital. The tickets to the party were a fortune on their own, but thankfully my other half's boss paid...;)
The theme was James Bond (yeah, how original....so that's black tie and evening wear then...) and when we came through the door a huge monster scared the hell out of us!! It was Jaws!! The real one!! He is massive!! He pretended to strangle my other half later on during dinner.....ha ha...Anyway....an old Bond girl was there too....giving a speech for the charity...forgot her name....she was pretty old LOL.....anyway.....good food.....plenty to watch in girls and women dressing up (isn't that fun....watching people?!) and loads of dancing.
Great party......but no photos.......snif.....sorry guys........I did not bring my camera, and there was a photographer who only took photos of celebrities handing out cheques and stuff....so you'll just have to imagine me in my ball gown......or actually.....better not try that......:D

Good fun.....was pretty late when we got home.

S.

CarlyHardy
07-06-2003, 04:00 PM
Don't know what a bacon buddy? is but it doesn't sound bad...lol.

Sunday...my daughter is still out-of-town with boyfriend....my husband just left to go out-of-town to work for the week...I can pig out on Blue Bell ice cream and strawberries...and not cook! Perfect day after a harrowing week of new car searching! LOL...and still no car! Just too much to choose from...and when we did finally decide (at least, my DH decided), the dealer didn't have one in stock that we wanted...LOL. So still looking!

Ok...off to the kitchen for a fridge raid...have a good day all!
carly

Mo.
07-06-2003, 06:55 PM
Sophie! No pics.......:mad: :( :o ;).... okay the next best thing then is for you to do a self portrait in your ball gown...get to it.:D

I tell you what I bet the old bond girl was Honor Blackman... she's in her 70's now.... could have been....or Sheena Easton.. is that her name, she was pretty, wouldn't call Honor Blackman pretty....

I thought Jaws was a shark....:confused: LOL! I know you mean that guy with the metal teeth. :).. He's a smashing chap, a gentle giant really, saw him being interviewd on telly some time back, does a lot of charity work.

Sounds like you had a fantastic time, wish I could have been there too.

Carly...... it's a bacon butty, not buddy... it's a British saying for sandwich. :)... making my mouth water with the icecream and strawberries, I like good old Cornish clotted cream with my strawberries though, yummy...

Good luck with the car hunt. :)

angecald
07-07-2003, 12:36 AM
It's already tomorrow here, and it's probably the next day for you folks across the pond! It's Sunday so I went to work. We held a short staff meeting - what we call a "huddle" - outside around sunset and the sky was full of wonderful dark blue clouds mingling with swathes of pink light, but there was no time to sketch it. I'm always intending to paint clouds and never do.

Sophie, I'm disappointed not to see you in all your glory! It does sound like a great party. Maybe the Bond girl was Lesley-Ann Downe. I only ever saw one Bond movie at the theatre and she is the only thing I remember about it. I recognized her from when she was Miss Georgina on Upstairs Downstairs (more my cup of tea than Bond).

Carly, I hope you get a car soon. Strawberries are looking good here, too, and I'm being pestered to make jam, which I enjoy doing (and eating) but it's just too hot to be hanging over a pot of boiling water. I'm hoping to put him off with a promise of apple butter in the fall.

Gunilla, nice to hear from you. Decisions, decisions! Let us know how it all turns out.

soap
07-07-2003, 07:31 AM
Finally found out.....it was Eunice Gayson, who played in Dr. No and From Russia with Love.

Mo.
07-07-2003, 09:25 AM
Good you can sleep at night now :D:D

soap
07-07-2003, 09:30 AM
aaah.....sigh...finally......LOL

meowmeow
07-07-2003, 02:53 PM
No Pictures!!!!!!What!!!!!!
Ah! But I am glad you had fun...it does sound like it was a blast! THanks for the report!
Glad to see you back here Gunilla....and understand about "life" getting in the way!

Sandy