PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Italy

VinnieDee
07-06-2012, 03:30 PM
I posted this message in the "New User Forum" and someone suggested I post here in the Pastel Forum. I did get some suggestions, but wonder if you all have some suggestions too.

This is my first post, however, I have viewed this site for the past several years. I love pastels and enjoy reading all of your comments regarding this medium.

I am studying pastels with Christina Debarry. We are thinking of taking a trip to Tuscany, Italy next year (probably in August) and want to find a site that is "very economical, but charming". We all have limited funds.

About a year and a hlf ago, some of us went to France and stayed at a Monastery - David Garrison gave the workshop. The Monastery was beautiful, clean, the food was good, really nothing to complain about - and the price was excellent. This is what I am charged to find for the group traveling to Italy.

I googled Pastel Societies in Italy hoping that a member(s) might be able to give us some ideas/information, but, alas, Google did not have any listings for pastel societies in Italy.

Would someone have information/ideas that I can inquire about a site in Tuscany Italy or any surrounding area and ask about pricing and eligible dates?

Deborah Secor
07-06-2012, 06:09 PM
I'd suggest you contact the Pastel Guild of Europe (http://www.pastelguild.eu/) with your questions! Some of our members here at WC are very active in that group... Look up Charlie (username: Colorix (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/member.php?u=117343)) for details.

Check out Domaine du Haut Baran (http://www.hautbaran.com/) I have no idea how the prices compare, but I know artists who have held workshops there and loved it.

Have fun! :wave:

KarenB
07-07-2012, 03:13 PM
We had very good luck with this website, http://www.monasterystays.com/ booking stays in Venice and Rome last spring, for very reasonable prices. They also have some listings in Tuscony and Florence.

We were pleased. Of course, expectations have to be reasonable, too. Often no air conditioning, and this particular website (which has been slow on my computer) often has to physically phone the monasteries and convents, so allow plenty of time to make your reservations.

At the Venice convent, the young woman who spoke English was only available from 9-5, (luckily for us, answering the phone when we were lost!), but the elderly sisters were always pleasant and smiling. Of course , it is Europe, and so some customs are different, but that's a wonderful part of the adventure.

I think a painting vacation would be wonderful, and it's true the light really IS different in Italy.

I'm ready to go again....once my VISA gets back to normal! :-)

KarenB
07-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Hey Vinnie Dee,

Just reread your post. August is when ALL of Europe goes on vacation. And air conditioning would be very, very nice. The "shoulder" seasons, April-May, Sept-Oct have way less crowds, lovely weather, and a better feel for the local people. (But a chance of rain, too.) But it's all good!

Colorix
07-07-2012, 03:59 PM
There might exist an Italian pastel society, but I'm not sure. I saw something about 3 years ago...

I'm sorry, but the Pastel Guild of Europe knows of no place to stay in Tuscany. I'd not choose August, though, the hottest and most crowded month. Anyway, I'd google monasteries there, and I'd contact the tourist info in Tuscany and ask them.

If anyone wants to get in contact with the Pastel Guild of Europe, please PM me. And please use pasteguild dot eu for looking at the site, as the dot com looks like it is hi-jacked (just discovered it... and it can't be fixed immediately).

PeggyB
07-07-2012, 04:08 PM
I agree with those who say August isn't the best time to visit Italy. I went in late Sept and early Oct, and the weather was very cooperative, but we may have been lucky that late in the year.

You might contact Margaret Evans. She is from Scotland, but takes pastel and watercolor workshops to Italy yearly if not more often. Her son-in-law is Italian. You can contact her through her website: http://www.shinafoot.co.uk/ Tell her Peggy suggested you contact her. She will be at PSA in late August conducting a workshop for them so that might be an opportunity to talk to her directly. She too is a marvelous teacher!

Peggy

VinnieDee
07-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Charlie, thank you for your info on the Pastel Guild. Peggy, what a coincidence, I am taking a workshop with Margaret in August in NJ (she's coming to Christina's studio) - so I will be sure to ask her about the trip to Italy. Karen B, thank you for your reply, I have class tonight,s o I will pass the information about "August weather" to the grouop. Deborah, thank you for your information.

You are all so nice to take the time to respond.

Vinnie

PeggyB
07-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Charlie, thank you for your info on the Pastel Guild. Peggy, what a coincidence, I am taking a workshop with Margaret in August in NJ (she's coming to Christina's studio) - so I will be sure to ask her about the trip to Italy. Karen B, thank you for your reply, I have class tonight,s o I will pass the information about "August weather" to the grouop. Deborah, thank you for your information.

You are all so nice to take the time to respond.

Vinnie

Vinnie you will have a wonderful time in Maggie's class. She is not only a good painter, but also a very good insturctor and funny! Be certain to ask her about Footering, and if you think of it please give her my best greetings.

jackiesimmonds
07-12-2012, 05:43 AM
you have to be lucky with August weather. It can be horrendously hot...but also you may have perfect days. In general, I would avoid August mosstly because that is when all the kids are off school, and everywhere in Europe is jam packed with people.