PDA

View Full Version : July 7 Paintalong - Questions, comments, paintings relating to JULY 7

sherrysherman
07-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Hi all--

Johannes has said that he will be working in PASTELS, and that the ratio of the painting is 3:4; correct sizes could be 9x12, 12x16, 15x20, 18x24. He has posted the ref photo at the website referred to in his email; the drawing will be up later today (Friday). If you signed up for the sessions, and registered at gotomeeting, you should be receiving his emails. It is the same site this week as the last couple of weeks.

Here's what I suggest be in this thread:
- Comments and questions about the June 23 Paintalong, including medium, size, palette, surface prep, etc.
- J's final painting
- Students' paintings based on the June 23 paintalong
- Comments and critiques about the paintings that are posted.

Please DON'T POST general discussion relating to the paintalongs as a whole, including comments about ustream, technical glitches, suggestions for future paintalongs, dates and times, "where's the thread for XYZ?", how awesome Johannes is for doing these, etc - those should go in the Paint Along Discussion thread, here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1114192
or in some other relevant thread.

EXCEPTION: Johannes can post anything he wants here.

Here's what NOT to post, here or anywhere: J's email or the link to get the photos, download the videos, etc, because those reveal the Secret Password. (Oh, and don't post the password.)

sherrysherman
07-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Hi all--

- Comments and questions about the June 23 Paintalong, including medium, size, palette, surface prep, etc.
- J's final painting
- Students' paintings based on the June 23 paintalong

Error alert - this should say:

- Comments and questions about the July 7 Paintalong, including medium, size, palette, surface prep, etc.
- J's final painting
- Students' paintings based on the July 7 paintalong

I bet none of you noticed (except Rosemarie), right? (didn't even read it, I know) :rolleyes: :wink2:

Joe's drawing has been posted (at the same place as the ref photo).

mickisew
07-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Thank you, Johannes for putting the drawing on the student info page. As regards: I pulled my arm muscle so I need to rest it as much as I can., I hope you are resting. Micki

mickisew
07-06-2012, 04:20 PM
What tone of paper are you using tomorrow?

Johannes Instructor
07-06-2012, 05:15 PM
What tone of paper are you using tomorrow?
Off white like egg shell.

Artcat369
07-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Hi! Just wondering what kind of pastel paper will Jo be using. Sanded vs. not?
Also, will panpastels be used for the entire painting? Any other pastels? hard vs. soft? thanks! looking forward to today's class.

chalet_dor
07-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Very eager for this class. Finally I will be using my panpastels, a first for me! dor:))

Johannes Instructor
07-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Also, will panpastels be used for the entire painting? Any other pastels? hard vs. soft? thanks! looking forward to today's class.
Sanded full pastel painting. Probably sticks for texture near the end

sherrysherman
07-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Generally, Joe likes to use Art Spectrum Colourfix paper with Panpastels.
Since one of the colors it comes in is that "off-white like egg shell," I think we can assume that is what it will be today. What he has been doing recently is Panpastels to almost completion, then sticks on the top (because Pans will continue to blend with existing layers, it's hard to use Pans get those finishing touches with more definition - as you can with sticks). In the past, he has said he mostly has Rembrandts, a medium soft pastel.

LadyMadonna
07-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Here is what I did today painting along with Johannes. I feel the shape of the mountain is off and it looks too garish for my liking. I am not one for rocks and mountains are like big rocks to me ! I tried.

jillmc3
07-07-2012, 10:31 PM
My paintalong. Pan Pastels on Colourfix paper. 9x12 This one was fun! Thanks, Johannes, for another great afternoon! Hope your shoulder heals quickly, and I'm looking forward to next Saturday's class. Comments/critiques welcome!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2012/153055-Yosemite-pastel.jpg

nougat
07-08-2012, 12:21 AM
thanks Joe for what looked like a great class.
i didn't get to see much of it live cos - 1st no transmission (black screen and no audio) then very very very choppy and multiple freezes. it was way too hot to sit wrestling with it and my frustration. when i returned a couple of hours later it was PERFECT but it was soon my bedtime :) cos i'd had a particularly long hard day.
i look forward to the download :) thanks

chalet_dor
07-08-2012, 12:37 AM
[quote=LadyMadonna]Here is what I did today painting along with Johannes. I feel the shape of the mountain is off and it looks too garish for my liking. I am not one for rocks and mountains are like big rocks to me ! I tried.[/quote
]

I would love the opportunity to watch you paint! The mountain you can fix, and the rest is lovely as is!................:)

Jacdesusbielle
07-08-2012, 03:00 AM
Donna, i do think one puts in ones painting what one feels inside. And you seem to be a joyful person, accepting life as a present to be thanked to and feeling that if nothing is perfect a lot of things are. That shows in the choice of your colors and I do like your mountain full of life between sky and snow. Maybe you could work the trees a little more but it can be a deliberate choice. I love the sky and the way the left mountain disappears in the clouds

LadyMadonna
07-08-2012, 05:31 AM
I have a hard time with rocks and mountains .... If anyone has advice to help me fix this let me know ... Though Canson paper is not the easiest to keep working on I am grateful every day for the life . Watching me paint would make you laugh !

chalet_dor
07-08-2012, 11:26 AM
LadyMadonna (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/member.php?u=268871)

I expect that Jo will know exactly what to do! : ))

LynnM
07-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Lovely one, Donna, you certainly make it your own!

Nice painting, Jill.

Here's mine, spent the morning tweaking, and have to stop! Pan pastels on watercolour paper, Arches 140 lb CP. I only have the 20 landscape set plus the 5 dark darks....really needed a better purple, magenta shade isn't enough! I ended up finishing a few strokes with a white conte crayon...no other pastels.

I agree Jo, these pans are much easier to work with than jumping into almost any other medium.

9x12 inches. This is my second pastel painting. Thanks Jo for the instruction, and the super reference photo :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2012/97813-Colorado_winter_pastel_007_Medium_Web_view.jpg

chalet_dor
07-08-2012, 02:19 PM
You should be :clap: jumping up and down Lynn! because you did beautifully......dor:))

LynnM
07-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Thanks, Dor....glad something from the last year of work is showing. Now I can go back to my stalled watercolours with more energy.

I meant to ask, where is this photo taken?

Rosemarie
07-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Lovely paiting, Lynn. It is amazing that you paint that good with PanPastels on just 9 by 12 inches paper. I am struggling with 15 x 20. Detail wise that is.

chalet_dor
07-08-2012, 03:09 PM
My paintalong. Pan Pastels on Colourfix paper. 9x12 This one was fun! Thanks, Johannes, for another great afternoon! Hope your shoulder heals quickly, and I'm looking forward to next Saturday's class. Comments/critiques welcome!

Hi Jill:wave:
You did an outstanding job on this! I will never finish until I have the video! : ))

LynnM
07-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Thanks, Rosemarie, it wasn't easy! I resorted to what Jo was doing at the end, using just the edges of the foam pads, and three conte crayons at the end.

Johannes Instructor
07-08-2012, 06:31 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2012/135220-IMG_7891.jpg

Amandine
07-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Gorgeous Johannes. I'm always astonished to see how you can take an ordinary photo and turn it in such a great painting. :thumbsup:

Johannes Instructor
07-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Thanks, Dor....glad something from the last year of work is showing. Now I can go back to my stalled watercolours with more energy.

I meant to ask, where is this photo taken?
Yosemite National Park

laudesan
07-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Here's mine, spent the morning tweaking, and have to stop! Pan pastels on watercolour paper, Arches 140 lb CP. I only have the 20 landscape set plus the 5 dark darks....really needed a better purple, magenta shade isn't enough! I ended up finishing a few strokes with a white conte crayon...no other pastels.

9x12 inches. This is my second pastel painting. Thanks Jo for the instruction, and the super reference photo :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2012/97813-Colorado_winter_pastel_007_Medium_Web_view.jpgWow Lynn, your painting is gorgeous. I really wanted to join into this session, but the time difference is a killer. I don't feel too creative at 3.00am :D

LadyMadonna
07-10-2012, 11:50 AM
I went in and worked on this one again hoping to tone down my mountain and tried to rework the trees a bit. I think I am going to call it a day and just call it 'Rainbow Mountain " for obvious reasons.... you win some , you lose some ..and thats just the way it is.

Johannes Instructor
07-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Wow Lynn, your painting is gorgeous. I really wanted to join into this session, but the time difference is a killer. I don't feel too creative at 3.00am :D
You don't have to actually "join" the session because if you pay the fee you can download the recordings.

mickisew
07-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Hi Johannes: Downloaded the video for July 7 and did a spot check. Looks good. Thank you. Micki

lorigina
07-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Donna, I LOVE your rainbow mountain, highly original with GORGEOUS color.:clap: :clap:

Lynn, your painting is beautiful. I haven't caught up yet, but I truly enjoy looking at everyones work. I feel very inspired by all of you. :thumbsup:

LADickerman
07-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Donna, I love your snow...it just pops out at me. Beautiful.

Lynn yours is beautiful too.

Here is mine in Panpastel on 10x14 pastel paper.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2012/188330-7July2012_Paintalong.jpg
I still trying to figure out how to get crisper edges with pans.

Lori Anne

lorigina
07-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Jillmc3, lori Ann, you've done great rocks with the pan pastels. I am considering them, but worry about the dust, due to allergies.

gourdalicious
07-14-2012, 01:35 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2012/990382-IMG_4033_800x594.jpg Could not get to any of my other WIPs this week....but since I almost finished this one in class thought I'd work on it a bit tonight. Making some progress with the pastels but still struggling with color and detail.
Oops! did not click to attach the first time....sorry!

LADickerman
07-14-2012, 08:32 AM
lorigina...I have asthma and had to give up on softpastel. I sometimes do oil pastel, but I'm really loving the panpastel. Very little dust and I mean very little. I love them, except I cannot get the crisp lines like in other media.

gourda...I love your piece. What media did you use and what size is it? I love your use of color and I look at yours and see where I need to adjust mine. Especially in my shadows. I like the color of your water...much better than my color. Very nice piece.

Johannes Instructor
07-14-2012, 09:31 AM
lorigina...I have asthma and had to give up on softpastel. I sometimes do oil pastel, but I'm really loving the panpastel. Very little dust and I mean very little. I love them, except I cannot get the crisp lines like in other media.

gourda...I love your piece. What media did you use and what size is it? I love your use of color and I look at yours and see where I need to adjust mine. Especially in my shadows. I like the color of your water...much better than my color. Very nice piece.
To get a crisp line place a sheet of paper at the contour and paint over it. When you remove the paper you will see the crisp lines.

gourdalicious
07-14-2012, 10:09 AM

LA....Thank you so much. This was done in pan pastel. I finally got a few sticks & a couple pencils for detail work (not having worked with pastel before). I have been using an 11 x 14 pastel paper. This one is on cut down Bristol - 15 x 20. What a difference in texture!! and the larger format helped a lot. The photo shows the shadows on the right as green instead of grays, I think because of the pole light I had on that side. I also used Jo's suggestion when I was doing the mountains against the sky and it helped.

Linda Reyes1959
07-14-2012, 11:23 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2012/978726-P1010049.jpg12x16 Oil on wood. I used extra heavy gesso and it left a big line down the center of the painting. Can this be fixed?

Johannes Instructor
07-14-2012, 10:10 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2012/978726-P1010049.jpg12x16 Oil on wood. I used extra heavy gesso and it left a big line down the center of the painting. Can this be fixed?
Only by using sandpaper.

LADickerman
07-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Thank you for the pointer on the paper for crisper edges, Jo. I'll give that a try.

Linda,
I noticed I had a few lines or grooves in mine also when I photographed it. Didn't see them before. I may try to turn mine into trees. Yours would be a very big tree but it might work. Now I know...do the predrawing in pastel pencil and not regular pencil, even though I did try to use a light hand.

Lori Anne

Linda Reyes1959
07-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Thanks, I will wait till it is dry and try to sand.

Mustbenuts
07-15-2012, 01:16 PM
The artists new to pan pastels are doing impressive work. It's hard to believe that you're using a different medium. Dor, we are waiting for your first pan...I bet we'll love it. :)

For a first, I was keeping up with Jo til I had to leave, so finished from the reference photo. Once Jo posted his, I could see that was a mistake. He added some very nice detail touches that would have helped mine.

Here is mine in acrylic at 12" X 16".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2012/107653-July7Paint.jpg

chalet_dor
07-15-2012, 01:32 PM
To Must Be Nuts
Hi Andrea

I love seeing your work. I admire your ability to paint in acrylic!
Thank you for asking to see my work.

Everything I am trying is a work in progress now, one of these days I will submit something! Right now I am working on a class assignment from another class that I must finish. Smiles to you : ))

"Color is my day-long obsession, joy, andtorment."Claude Monet

Alta Imp
07-16-2012, 01:38 AM
I am new to pastels but thought I would like to try it so ordered some panpastels . I had a few chalks prior to this and had done one pastel on watercolor paper and noticed that the chalks seemed to give me more concentration of color over the pans....not sure now if it was the paper, chalks or technique. 12x16 Canson Mi-Teintes paper. Barb

Sonni
08-10-2012, 05:20 PM
I was going to do this but missed it because....I was in Yosemite Valley, plein air painting. If there's one in August, I'll may miss that as I'll be painting in Santa Fe. It would be great if Jo did some southwest paintings in pastel. Anyway, it looks like what you painted from a photo might be Yosemite Fall. Here it is in July done in about an hour in the morning from a meadow near our campsite, and another done in 20 minutes of Half Dome in fading afternoon light (more like evening light). Didn't use Pans, had only stick pastels with me, on Colourfix 9x12. Yosemite is a fantastic place to paint....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2012/111873-Half_Dome_and_Yosemite_fall_2012.jpg