PDA

View Full Version : Cattle markers?

sassybird
07-30-2000, 06:02 PM
About three years ago I began working with cattle markers on my large canvases instead of oil pastels or just oils. Has anyone else used this medium?
They are cheaper than oil pastels and come in large sticks. They run between a dollar and a dollar twenty-five. You can get them at any feed store all year long, and they come in many colors.

Gisela
07-31-2000, 11:46 AM
What are cattle markers made of? Is there actual pigment in them or just dyes?

Gisela

------------------

Artworks by Gisela Towner (http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/gisela)

[This message has been edited by Gisela (edited July 31, 2000).]

Phyllis Rennie
07-31-2000, 07:58 PM
Hi S......I don't have an answer to your question. Just happened to notice that you are from Mountain Home. I have a son & daughter-in-law who live there--so we have a connection (sort of)!!! Phyl

sassybird
07-31-2000, 09:26 PM
Gisela,
There is pigment in them. They are made the same way that oil pastels are. An old mentor told me about them, and she got me hooked after I used hers for a day.....lol
They really bring out the kid in you. It is like working with big crayons. I blend them with a palette knife at times to get texture, and I use a brush with some solvent on it when I want smooth color tansistions.

sassybird
07-31-2000, 09:30 PM
Phyllis,
Is your son in the air force? We have a huge air base, tact/sac, right on the outskirts of Mtn. Home. I married a Mtn. Homian recently and that is how I came to be here. It is all high mountain desert, and very inspiring. The colors are incredible in the desert. Hope you get to visit your family sometime and experience it for yourself.

Phyllis Rennie
08-03-2000, 08:58 PM
Yep--both he and his wife are career Air Force. She is in about 15 years now and he about 14. I have a couple of photos but mostly they are fighters and bombers!!! Hope to visit someday.