PDA

View Full Version : Mill Creek

Pinklady219
07-04-2012, 11:50 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-04-2012/735742_1__better_one_(800x580).jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Mill Creek
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Board
Dimension: 15x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I used a limited palette. I am trying to loosen up and get more painterly. I really like this painting but I am wondering what you see right or wrong with it. I would like to do the same painting with spring in mind. Your help is greatly appreciated.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Is the perspective acceptable? I wanted it quaint but not cartoonish. Do you find it pleasing? Thank you so much.

Nonno
07-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Brrr. it makes me feel cold just to look at it.
But I guess that was your intention!

Jonathan

AllisonR
07-05-2012, 02:03 AM
Yes, it works well. It looks loose, painterly, without being over-done. The limited palette contributes to the cool mood, and you used enough light-dark values to make good contrast. And your perspective is fine. There is a lot of interest and action. I really like it, and would also like to see the same scene in spring or summer. No crits (which is irritating, not very helpful I know).

Andrewcody
07-05-2012, 02:18 AM
Couple of crits - technical only
I think the water wheel should, or would be larger - this would also make the painting more interesting in my opinion
There would also be a sluice to bottom feed water (tail race) or an upper channel or head race. It looks like the wheel is above the waterline
Definitely looks cold :)

Andrew

Debzy
07-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Brrrrrrr.... yes lovely cold atmosphere captured here! Really like the limited palette! I love the icicles on the edge of the roof. The distant trees are nicely muted. Nice contrast of warm and cool tones. There is a lot to see in this painting.... I'm trying to find a crit but I can't either! I will leave that for the experts =)) Lovely painting. Cheers. Debs. =))

Wassie
07-05-2012, 02:04 PM
I love looking at this since I'm in the hot Las Vegas desert. I agree to put the waterwheel into the water more.

Pinklady219
07-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Thank you so much for your input everyone. I'm going to busy myself with the Spring edition tomorrow. I'm attaching the original photo of this work to show the technical issues associated with the wheel. Since I read Andrew's (and thank you btw) technical advice, I've investigated waterwheels and found very few are in the water especially in winter when the water is lower. The only ones that are just happen to be undershoots or wheels that use the natural flow of the water. This one has water dropping from the top and making the wheel move and therefore does not need to be in the water. BUT how the water got up there, I have no idea. It may be coming from a spring in the wood. The painting actually looks better in real life, the camera did no justice here. I am a newbie to these postings and find it quite enjoyable with the feedback.

Debzy
07-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Wow! You certainly took on a big challenge and created a wonderful likeness here! May I say even..... a masterpiece!!! Beautiful work indeed! =)) Debs.

eyecandy2
07-06-2012, 10:10 AM
I think your compositon is great and you certainly captured the winter feeling. Yours is much prettier than the photol even though the photo is also great. I am always amazed at what can be done with water colors and you certainly show a mastery of the media.

Pinklady219
07-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Your compliments humble me :o . Thank you for your critiques. After your comments, I think it deserves a frame!!! Have a great week-end and paint something!

Andrewcody
07-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Ahhhh that frame work above the waterwheel is the top race, that is where the water comes from :)
Well done

Andrew

Kory
07-07-2012, 02:33 AM
Very nicely done! :)