GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Fish
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 5
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I did this for a friend. I mainly wanted to focus on the reflections in the water on the back of the fish.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm afraid the fish looks just a little flat

Andrewcody
07-04-2012, 09:59 PM
I think this looks pretty good Tyler. Perhaps needing some definition on the fish especially around the head. I have attached a photo of a brown trout, which shows some of the spots, please note that these can be black with blue circles or even bright red as shown on this photo of a small trout.
You have captured the light well and some of the reflections, great subject
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2012/64395-trout.jpg

Andrew

song_bird
07-04-2012, 10:02 PM
This is really nice. Love the colors and water reflection.

Something about his mouth doesn't read right. Especially the upper. Seems too short and not in alignment with the bottom? Bottom too full and rounded?

Like the idea of a little more definition on the fish, especially around the head.

You've really captured the light and water for nice effect.

AllisonR
07-05-2012, 02:10 AM
I like the combo of stripes and dots. I am not overly familiar with fish breeds, so if it is somewhat made up I would not notice. He does look like he is missing some fins on the bottom though. And yes, his bottom jaw is a bit too long compared to the top, but I did not notice this until I read the other crit. The reflections are not working well imo. The fish is well painted, enough detail and confidence in the strokes to make it look right. But the reflections seem too tight or overdone or studied. I also think you should add a few darker shades to the fish to counteract the very darkest colors being in the left bottom rock cracks. This very dark pulls the focal point down to the bottom left instead of the fish.

Debzy
07-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Hi Tyler, I love the light you have created! I do agree that the reflection is a little overdone, in detail specifically. maybe blurring it some would help, the colours are beautiful though. I also think the cracks in the bottom right draw the eye there, some darker shadow on the fish would help I think, and perhaps a little more detail on his lower fins. It is a lovely subject, I love fish, and their colours under water are just spectacular when light hits them. You have certainly captured this. Nice work so far!!! Cheers. Debs. =))