PDA

View Full Version : Have another question.

Luvy
07-04-2003, 11:35 AM
How would you approach a photographer about a photo of their you would like to use? What wording would you use? One of my paintings that I do just as practice turned out and it's pretty much like the photo. Not exact but I think enough that copywrite could be involved. Don't know enough about copywrites to know how much you can use or if it's in a different medium. But thought since it's really close I should ask permission before doing anything with it.

Dyin
07-04-2003, 12:10 PM
Well, I once saw some gorgeous African wildlife photos on the net and was hoping to use some for reference...I sent a jpeg of a lion I had done, to show the kind of work I did and asked for permission to use two of his photos...assuring him that I would give credit to my source. He reluctantly agreed, saying that people bought his photos as one of a kind and he didn't want them seeing the same image out there...I agreed to change them. Funny thing is, I still haven't used them...
My tiny head is a Smithsonian photo...I would never show it or sell it, I just did it to see if I had the skills to. Best to use references that don't have copyrights attached, your own or to try plein aire..though I certainly couldn't go to Africa to get those pics!

Mo.
07-04-2003, 04:40 PM
Luvy be very careful about using photos that are copyrighted, you must obtain permission to use them... I'm not that updated on the copyright laws of your land but I believe they are very strict..... If you know the photographer's email or address, just write showing an interest in the photo you wish to use, and ask if he would allow you to use his work as reference for a painting, I'm quite fortunate in that I personally know a wildlife photographer and film-maker who has given me permission to use some, but not all of his photographs, he also owns two of my paintings.. I also have had permission from Africam.com to use any pics taken from the web cams... not the greatest of pics usually quite blurry and indistinct, but enough to give me reference and inspiration, the painting I did of the lioness drinking was inspired from such a pic.

If you don't intend to sell your work or exhibit it, i.e. just use the pic for practice then I would think it's okay, but even so better to be safe than sorry. Also there is lots of info in the Legal Corner forum on copyrights and such, beware though it's quite confusing.

Cheers,
Mo.

jackiesimmonds
07-05-2003, 02:48 AM
Luvy - when I was doing my carnival paintings, someone at WC pointed out some photos on a website, that I thought were wonderful.

I wrote to the photographer, and I said that I was an artist, I had seen his photos, and I really admired them; I too had visited the Carnival , and I wondered if he would allow me to use some of his photos as reference material for paintings. I sent him an example of one of my paintings to show what I do. (simple as that).

He wrote back to say yes, I could use whatever I wanted. He could, of course, have written back to say no, in which case, so be it. But if you don't ask, you don't get, and it is correct to ask.

I haven't actually used any of those pics, - it's odd, but because I hadn't taken the pics myself, I found it hard to use those photos, something stopped me - but it was nice of him to say I could if I wished to do so. Some people are nice like that. Others won't be. You won't know till you ask.

Jackie

Luvy
07-05-2003, 08:28 AM
Thanks you all for your help. As usual you are always there. I emailed the photographer already Jackie so far no reply. But then It's the holiday. I know a photographer that was honored when I asked him if I could use his photographs for reference. I sent him the painting I did of his photo. And said pretty much what you did Jackie. Hopefully I'll get the same reply as you *S* I told him I was doing it as practice since I'm a new artist and I liked the way it came out. So guess I just have to wait and see.

yoyita_yoyita
07-06-2003, 02:46 AM
In general people will tell you yes to use their pictures, they will even send you the pics with a higher resolution, all is to ask. I would recommend asking before doing the painting.
Just include your website whith the request.

Luvy
07-06-2003, 09:40 AM
Since I used one of this man's photo's as a reference I needed to ask him for permission. Here's his reply *S*

DF: Hi

On 7/4/03 9:06 AM, "Cathy Lee"
wrote:

> ME: I was surfing the next and came across a photo of yours that
inspired me to
> paint it. I am enclosing a photo of my painting.

DF: It is beautiful.

M: I would like your permission
> to include your name as the photographer that took the photo
that inspired my
> painting. I am sure you will recognize the photo I am talking
about. If you
> prefer me not to use it I will respect your wishes.

DF: May I post your picture on my web site or in my next book? I
think
your work is beautiful - wonderful tones.

You can include my name as the inspiration. You might want to refer
to me
as the ethnographer whose work inspired you art since photographs are
only a
part of the work that I do to do ethnography and empowerment
evaluation.
>
> Thank you for your consideration.

Df: Best wishes.

- David

He's a professor at Stanford

Luvy
07-07-2003, 04:19 PM
I emailed the professor and gave him my permission to use my painting.
Here's his reply. I'm so excited. I also included my website for him to view. I guess he must be just ready to publish another book.

DF: Hi

Nice web page.

I would type something like this for the inspiration page:

The photograph that inspired my paintings can be found in Professor
David
Fetterman's latest book titled Foundations of Empowerment Evaluation.

Instead of:

The photo that inspired my painting was taken by
Professor David Fetterman, he is an ethnographer, of ethography and
empowerment evaluation studies.

Best wishes.

- David

Dyin
07-07-2003, 04:38 PM
Luvy, went to your site and looked...came out really nice stated that way.....good for you for following through on this...see, it never hurts to ask!

Mo.
07-07-2003, 05:07 PM
That's great news Luvy... bet you are thrilled and glad you asked now. So pleased for you.

cheers,
Mo.

Luvy
07-07-2003, 06:50 PM
I re-read that email It says the picture is in the book not my painting. But he did say he would like to include my painting didn't he? LOL OH well. Sometimes we read what we want LOL Besides today has been one heck of a day. Hard drive died on my new not a year old Gateway first thing this morning. Then dragged out my old puter and it wouldn't go on line. Took my slides to the exibition (got those in time at least) Picked up a new ethernet card and came home and got me back on line. Things are looking up this evening LOL

Thanks Dyin and MO. Yep never hurts to ask *S*