GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Untitled
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8x10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Visited my mom in califo<br>ia last week, and we decided we'd try oil painting together. Never done it before. This is the third painting I did. From a digital photo I took on a drive in the hils. I don't like that the eye goes to the "cliff" on the right side of the road instead of to the distant hills.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any input would be appreciated !

AllisonR
07-04-2012, 03:52 PM
My eye does go to the distant hills, and the rocks on them. So I think it is more successful than you imply. Nice contrast.

The perspective on your road looks off - I get that it is going slightly uphill, but even so when it curves around the corner something looks wrong with it, perspectively. Nothing keeps me in the composition though - I don't find enough interest in the subject matter of dirt, shrubs, road and two sets of rocks.

Andrewcody
07-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Hi TX - not a bad beginning, Allison is correct it is more successful, it just needs some tweaking.
I don't mind the dirt cliff and the minimal items of interest in the composition, done well these can be a strength. Reminds me of some art here of sparse landscapes.
I think the shapes you have developed and the muted and limited palette are strengths, I like that the road curves as it does, taking us into the work.
Problems I see immediately is the left of the road, it appears to just drop off and also looks undermined on the long curve. This is being caused by the muted green on the left side which pushes away and gives a perspective of a large step down off the road.
In the brown cliff I would like to see a complimentary tone shift to indicate the shaded areas, this would break that brown surface, adding interest.

Give it a name - where is that bend? If you don't know, make a name up - 'Round the California Bend' 'Round the Bend in California' something evocative for a simple landscape.

I do like this

Andrew

Debzy
07-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Hi Mom, I like the general feel of this too! You have a good start and obviously a good eye for a scene! Well done for starters! I would like to see more detail in the foreground and as Andrew said, the left curve of the road seems to drop off somehow. I like the distant sand dunes????? Perhaps softening them slightly will give your painting more distance. The line and gradient edge of the right bank is just a little severe, maybe roughen it up with some different outlines of vegetation would help this? Also some slightly darker colours in detail in this right bank would add perspective. A great start. Well done. Keep painting, you have some skill here! Cheers. Debs. =))

TXMom
07-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Thank you for the comments and suggestions. The road does, in fact, drop off to the left quite steeply but I know it looks weird . The actual hills are very golden with dry grass and exposed rock so I thought I'd add more texture and color. The actual impression of the scene was more exciting. Perhaps if the road looked like it was going uphill around the bend would show it was steep? I will try to fix the banks... thank you!