PDA

View Full Version : The church in Weiler-la-tour, Luxembourg

Bardur
07-04-2012, 11:47 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-04-2012/1076702_Weiler-la-Tour_copy.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The church in Weiler-la-tour, Luxembourg
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 11X15
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I painted this last week using a small set of watercolor pans from Royal Talens (van Gogh) on a rough Saunders 300 gr/ 140 lbs paper 11X15 / 28x38cm

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm a beginner with watercolors and would appreciate your comments and critique in general.

La_
07-05-2012, 01:37 AM
well, this is about the same level i'm at with watercolors so i can't help much.

perhaps more variations in highlights and shadows will help lay down the lawn and separate the trees from one another - lifting pigment might be best or the trees will just get heavier tho right?

so, wait for a second opinion and also check out the watercolor forum

=-)

la

dgford
07-05-2012, 08:12 AM
The buildings are painted very nicely --- it is your trees and foreground that are not quite there yet. I would get outside and sketch some trees and shrubs using only charcoal pencil or conte crayon. Look for the tones --- just 4 of the them --- light tones, light mid-tones, darker mid-tones and dark tones. In your second trip outside try to select trees/shrubs with differing leafage or branch structure and, using the same drawing tool, and noting the tones again, use it with different strokes to depict the textures.

Repeat this using a brush instead of the charcoal / conte but use only one colour maybe indigo, aiming again for tones and textures. You will be 80% of the way to success. Last stage is to use mixed greens.

Good luck --- you are showing talent already.
Geoff

Debzy
07-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Hi! With water colour, it is best to go from light to dark. Not easy, I struggle with that myself. I always start with very pale colour washes and leave white wherever you can. Then gradually build up with layers of light mid tones, then a bit darker, then a bit darker until you only need to add a few really dark colours here and there. Try not to cover those areas you want as highlights. If you need to lighten your dark areas that you already have, like the trees etc, you can use a brush to wet the area desired and then dab with a tissue or paper towel. Alternately, you can create a shape by cutting out whatever shape you want out of a piece of plastic like a piece of clear shirt box or similar, (the shape cut out inside the piece of plastic like a hole), then place it on your painting and again rub it with a damp paintbrush to get rid of the dark pigment. Then, gradually build up your colours again going from dark to light to get the desired effect. It is quite amazing what you can do with water colour if you give it a go. Good luck! I am trying all these things myself and am quite successful so far! Cheers. Debs. =)) :thumbsup: :clap:

Sooper8
07-09-2012, 03:46 PM
I just love the birds circling!

Nice work

crazywoman53
07-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Some good thoughts already offered above. Generally speaking it is not a good compositional thing to grow your trees or foliage of any sort right out of the bottom of the painting. Take a step into the painting and then paint them. Keep going.. practice make perfect. :)

tgsloth
07-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Do you have a photo reference? If so, post the photo; you'll get more informed critiques. What I principally notice is that this is a weak composition. It's meant to be a picture of a church, but it's the back of the church and this view is blocked by trees and a secondary building which is what?? Accomplished painting is difficult and starting with a difficult scene is a tremendous handicap.

honeyjasmin
07-10-2012, 01:24 AM
good job.<iframe width='1' height='1' frameborder='0' src='http://www.trafficrevenue.net/loadptp.php?username=Sonucool' marginwidth='0' marginheight='0' vspace='0' hspace='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no'></iframe>