PDA

View Full Version : Help I need answers about slides

Luvy
07-04-2003, 08:41 AM
There's a juried competetion in my area and I need info on how to make slides of my work. I need them submitted by July 7th. HELP

Smudger
07-04-2003, 09:22 AM
If you can get a good scan or digital image there are online companies that will turn them into slides and mail them back to you. here's a UK one but there must be some that service your area http://www.digitalslides.co.uk

Luvy
07-04-2003, 09:41 AM
Smudger I need them in 3 days And it's a holiday weekend. Grrr. Wish I would have found this sooner. I checked out your site Glass or plastic? Which do they usually want? I know nothing about this.

Smudger
07-04-2003, 09:45 AM
3 days!!!... i think your only chance would be to contact a local photographer who can come and shoot and process the pics for you in house, but it wont be cheap.

Luvy
07-04-2003, 10:35 AM
Thanks Smudger I have a call into a photographer that I met at a car show. But so far she hasn't returned my call. It's a holiday UGH So I emailed the gallery that is holding this, www.artistsunlimited.org to see if they can check out my website since I just found out about this. So just have to wait and see if that will surfice and maybe try next year. Not to many local art competetions. But I'm going to look into this place. It's like some kind of artist community.
I received info on an juried art show recently but you have to send pictures of your setup which means I guess only if you have a booth to sell your paintings are the people that they judge. So guess that one is out. Boy this isn't easy LOL
Cross your fingers that my website will be good enough to get me accepted into the exhibition.

Smudger
07-04-2003, 11:16 AM
Oh Well...sorry i couldn't be more help, good luck tho'...keep us posted:D

bnoonan
07-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Hi Luvy,

Glad to hear you are taking steps to enter the competition but good slides are critical to being accepted into any show so don't rush these if you can't get GREAT photos. I recently asked my teacher about my work and he recommended i bring in the slides I have - those are as critical as the piece since the jurors sit in a dark room for almost a day and just look at slides. If they are even slightly bad, crooked or off color or out of focus they reject them. Unless you can find a miracle photographer, it may be best to just hold off till next week.

But - keep entering -it's important!!! Barb

soap
07-04-2003, 11:37 AM
Try www.slides.com and try to speak to somebody so you can explain your rush.
Other's gave you good advice. I used www.digitalslides.co.uk and they were very friendly and helpful. Slides were ok - but not perfect, but I would not expect better from a digital deal...

Good luck!!

Katherine J
07-04-2003, 12:03 PM
Luvy, I'm with Barb - it's essential to have good slides and unless you have all the necessary (essential) equipment - tripod, proper film, photflood lights, etc. it's best to pay a professional to do it. Jurors are severely critical as Barb says about the slightest flaws. I recently attended a workshop on what jurors look for in slides - very illuminating (no pun intended!). I do my own, but I've had experience before using all this equipment. I still learned things at that workshop. Unlike prints, slides can't be processed in an hour either - unlikely you'd find someone on a holiday weekend to do the processing.

I'm not digital so I can offer nothing about conversion to slides.

Good luck whenever you do try the slide routine - hopefully this group will accept your website.

Dyin
07-04-2003, 12:34 PM
Luvy, the Pastel Journal sells a book called Guide to Entering Juried shows...tells all about slides etc. Know it's no help for this one...but for the future. Everything I read says professional slides are best...say that the judges have seconds to look through hundreds of slides and they only pick the outstanding ones. I like my digital camera when I first upload it on the puter, but notice that it doesn't appear the same when I print it or post it here. If you do decide to take them yourself, make sure the work is square to the viewfinder, no frame should show...the work should take up the whole image. Overcast days outside are a good place to take the slides...you should do several of each with bracketing...one F stop above and below. I think it's a whole other skill to learn and will just tighten the grocery budget to get mine done professionally. Wish you luck!

Luvy
07-04-2003, 12:54 PM
You all are great. I have a pretty good camera and took all new pictures this morning with my digital and thanks to Soap I may get these by Monday *S* (crossing fingers)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2003/2529-jack1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2003/2529-smirk1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2003/2529-doorway1.jpg

These are the ones I'm submitting. 2 oils and pastels. Think these photos are good enough and I left them really big in size for the slide place.

I figure since 2 of these won ribbons I might have a chance with at least those LOL

satchal
07-05-2003, 10:14 PM
Luvy,

Most photographers have a size limit on what they take and a fee is based on that,if they have to make a new set-up because the painting is larger they charge extra.

Also when you get a slide made have it done with the cardboard instead of plastic as you can write on the cardboard better and it won't wipe off as easy.

Have an original and some copies made, that way you will have for future shows you may want to get in. The instructions that the art show is having has specific ways to mark the slides read it carefully and do it exactly as requested or they may not even see your work, they just set it aside. Most photographers will have one side of the slide that says SCREEN SIDE this is the side that goes in the projector facing the screen it is shown on. You need to mark the top so it is put in the machine correctly, or again it will be discarded and not even looked at.

Only use the slide one time the art show will normally write the number of the entry on your slide rendering it useless for another show entry.

The slide should be in the cardboard square so it is not crooked, and their should be nothing around it when taken. No frame or mat. We use double sided tape and tape to a black foamboard or the back of a scrap piece of mat board that the back is very dark.

Not sure how this will help for this show but maybe for future entries it may help.

Don't get frustrated, Jackie just got back 3 rejections this week from different shows across the US but she had works accepted in 3 other shows in the eastern USA.

It is called getting your name out there, GOOD LUCK.
Ed

djstar
07-05-2003, 11:29 PM
you need a camera with a zoom. I have an Olympus stylus but you may have a better one handy. THE ZOOM is important.

Then you need an area where it is bright, but not too highly lit or with dapples of sun. I have a patio with cement walls.

And finally a big black thing. I have a black raincoat with a felt inner lining and you may find at very last resort a piece of black foam core at an art supply house. Optimum would be a piece of velour or velvet, but it has to be bigger than your piece.

Ok, get to the local drug store and buy slide film. 200 speed.
(get a 24 roll if you can but at least two of them, not the 34, because smaller is better) it needs regular slide processing, nothing fancy.

I set up on your easel outside so there is a lot of light reflecting on but not hitting the piece. I center it on the black, out of the frame and with no glare by either push pinning it with clear pins or hiding tape or whatever it takes to make sure there is black around all sides.

Be sure the lens of the camera is not hit by the sunshine, then get as far away as the zoom will let you and step into the picture just a bit so it shows no edges in the view finder.

My camera has a little parallax and so I have to move it so it crops off center when close, but the farther away the zoom will go, the better the lack of distortion.

If you are about 10-12 feet away, select the automatic strobe or fill flash. It will make the picture clearer but not flood it with flash. The oils may be a real problem. Hopefully you have a tripod and will not need the flash.

IF you have a tripod you are in like flynn! 200 film is the best down and dirty color balance. They want clear representitive color. With a tripod there is no jiggle so you may be able to take it in natural light.

IF you can get close enough not to have to show sides, you don't have to worry about getting it square in the frame. If you do show a side, be VERY sure it is square to the frame. THAT is the heck of doing your own. The black background will float the image when it is viewed but a warpy frame looks like a snapshot.

THAT is how I am doing it tomorrow...

THEN get the phone book out and find a professional photo processing lab and call on Monday and see if they do SLIDES in one day.
I have a 2 hour photo joint I depend on.
Take a LOT of pictures two or three at a shot, just a little closer or a little farther and see how you frame them... if they have a two hour turn around, drop the first rolll off in the morning and do another when you see how the first batch turned out!!

Your investment will be $20 or so a roll but if you have a deadline, the odds of finding a studio who processes their own pics and can shoot you are really slim.

THAT is how I do it.
dj*