PDA

View Full Version : Birch Lake

Lucy12
07-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Hi, I'm fairly new at painting and would love help on this one. I'm at the point where I usually mess it up. I'm thinking I need somthing more on the right side for balance but I don't want to cover too much. I think a big tree would make it too balanced also? Perhaps a few limbs coming in from the right side and upper right corner? Any comments or suggestions appreciated. This is acrylic on canvas, 24x30. Thanks!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2012/1087382-100_4654.JPG

TDCT
07-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Hi (:.

Hmm, one thing...since I haven't seen any of your other work...are you planning on darkening the shorter trees on the right any further? I have a habit of making everything in all my paintings very dark lol, and I find that if the values are similar all the way through things don't look so unbalanced :P. Which might be bad, I may be trading that for depth...

BUT, I do think if you made it a little darker you might not need anything there. So if you were planning on doing it anyway I would do that first and then re-evaluate. In addition to this I think the foliage everywhere could use a few darker values for shadow...it's more difficult with nice yellow leaves but it would add some more depth. Maybe you were going to do this anyway, but just my two cents (:.

If you weren't planning on darkening it, I agree a few branches in the top right might help. Or even making one of the trees on the right a little wider/closer to the foreground...but not making it huge.

I also (personally) think that the middle ground trees on the right are a little skinny to support the amount of foliage you have here anyway. The trunks could be a little thicker (:.

It's pretty so far for sure, and the trunk of the left tree is very nicely done (although a tiny bit thick at the top going into the leaves?). I love birches!

TDCT
07-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Oh, but if you do bring in some branches from the top right, you shouldn't make them too dense, don't want to cover too much lovely purple sky!

Lucy12
07-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the feedback TDTC. The middle ground trees are lighter and skinnier b/c I was going for depth. That depth looked much better in my mind than it came out on canvas, I have this problem often. I see your point that darkening and thickening them too bring them closer might help. Then I have to figure out what to do about the height difference with the big foreground tree. I might need to add another tall tree anyway...hmmm...think it needs to sit on the mantel another day before I touch it. Thanks for the suggestions!

Debzy
07-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Hi Lucy, your colours are very pretty! I think some more detail and darker tones in the foreground would also help to give depth and perspective, perhaps some detail like you have shown in the trunk on the main tree. The leaves on the main tree are very pretty and love the colour. Could be a beautiful work of art with some slight changes. Nice to see your work. Cheers and keep painting Debs. =))

Lucy12
07-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Took TDCT and Debzy's suggestions and worked on the trees. Thanks to both of you b/c I'm liking it much better now. Will let it sit a day before working on it more. Any feedback or other suggestions would be appreciated, thanks for looking!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2012/1087382-100_4670.JPG

Debzy
07-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Hi Lucy, another thing I noticed is the little branch on the tree at the right meets up with the bottom of the line of trees on the distant bank, I think this branch could have its angle changed somewhat or even get rid of it because it almost looks like the branch and its foliage goes right across the middle of the painting. Much more darker details and shadows in the foreground will give your scene more depth, also very the foreground line with some longer and shorter grasses to break it up. Cheers Lucy, and I would like to see the next stage if you can. Debs. =))