PDA

View Full Version : Harley Brown pastel painting on Book Club

Sonni
07-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Harley Brown just posted a pastel he did of himself as a child. It would be great for those of you into portraits to study. I think he said he painted it about 10 years ago. He's also shared some interesting musings on art and he'd probably love it if you stopped by and said hello.

the link:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17541252&posted=1#post17541252

SherryC
07-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Thanks for posting this. I have Harley's book eternal truths and it is a jewel. It is really nice to be able to read his contemporaneous thoughts.

JudyG
07-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Sonni,

I LOVE Harley Brown. I have two of his books, and really wish I could find the third one. Thanks for reminding me about this thread. I need to subscribe to it.

Judy

jackiesimmonds
07-07-2012, 04:18 AM
Harley, don't know if you are still involved in this thread, and I admit I haven't read every post, I only just came across it...and there are 37 pages now!
I did notice early on that you commented that your second book is now out of print ...but it was exceptionally popular by all accounts.

I wondered if you knew that after a certain period of time you could in fact reprint that book yourself. I used Blurb recently to create a book of my own work - it costs nothing to create the book, and is really easy. Of course, if you want it to sell, it needs some marketing, but given your notoriety, I am quite sure it WOULD sell, thro the Blurb bookstore, and you would earn a profit on every sale.

Just a thought. A slightly selfish one admittedly, because I love your first book, often used to quote you to students when I was teaching (and still do here on WC where I "teach" a bit) and I wuold love to see what you wrote in that second book.

Jackie Simmonds

makinart
07-08-2012, 02:47 AM
Hello Jackie,
Your idea about the books is most interesting. The new world is holding endless possibilities. I'm rather connected with my publisher and have been for ages. I especially like the fact that he doesn't change a word with anything I write. But I will hint to him that we should think about another edition; that there could be some artists out there who might be interested.

And thank you Jackie for your thoughtful words. Coming from you, they mean a lot. Here's to you and your inspiring art!

With admiration, Harley

Chromaman
07-08-2012, 03:49 AM
Thats an awesome portrait! In time i hope to work like that.

flowergirl
07-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Harley I am relatively new to pastels and have read many recommendations for your books. Upon looking it up to purchase, I was disappointed to see that they are out-of-print. I would definitely purchase copies of your books if you do reprint them. Looking forward to that possibility!
Sharon in Vermont

jackiesimmonds
07-09-2012, 05:59 AM
Harley...how many reprints has the publisher done so far, with your book? If none, then surely you should do more than HINT about a reprint? It is good to be "connected" with a publisher...provided they give you good service. I say this, because my "pastels workshop" book was reprinted a good many times - it came out as a hardback, then was reprinted when the run ran out, then they reprinted AGAIN, this time with a soft cover and a different image on the cover - they kept on reinventing the book, until it finally ran out of steam. Given the number of years involved, I was really pleased it kept going as long as it did...but essentially, it was down to the efforts of the publisher.

If your book has also travelled this journey, just ignore my ignorance! But if not...then perhaps you could suggest a reprint with a soft cover, to be less expensive and encourage more sales.

makinart
07-13-2012, 04:05 AM
Hi Jackie,
The publisher did a couple of soft cover reprints but then I dicoral more books, putting the first one to rest.

My second, the "Confessions" book was also a great therapy session for me, releasing the mishaps, fun incidents, demons and even art stuff.
-Harley-

jackiesimmonds
07-13-2012, 06:03 AM
ok, then.

did you see my pm, Harley?

Jackie

nerd6irl
07-18-2012, 10:31 PM
I am new to pastels and I just "discovered" you, Harley Brown. I want your books desperately, but I can't afford the $100 to $840 they are selling for (check amazon.com). Please please republish! If your books are selling at those prices there is certainly enough interest to make it worth your while to republish. At the same time you would be helping another new group of upcoming artists. Meanwhile I have searched the Internet and libraries with no success. Argh! I love your paintings and I love your stories and am so disappointed I cannot find more of your wisdom. I discovered the thread in here (38 pages) and am working my way through that and trying to pick out your thoughts and ideas for painting. First time I've posted here in years. But had to add my plea to the republishing idea. Thanks.

Sonni
07-19-2012, 11:38 AM
I am new to pastels and I just "discovered" you, Harley Brown. I want your books desperately, but I can't afford the $100 to $840 they are selling for (check amazon.com). Please please republish! If your books are selling at those prices there is certainly enough interest to make it worth your while to republish. At the same time you would be helping another new group of upcoming artists. Meanwhile I have searched the Internet and libraries with no success. Argh! I love your paintings and I love your stories and am so disappointed I cannot find more of your wisdom. I discovered the thread in here (38 pages) and am working my way through that and trying to pick out your thoughts and ideas for painting. First time I've posted here in years. But had to add my plea to the republishing idea. Thanks.

You can. Go to the Book Club on Wet Canvas and talk to him
the link:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...1#post17541252