PDA

View Full Version : learning Painter

Cuddles!
05-27-2001, 01:05 AM
I hope this works.

I'm not a pro. I am learning, still.

What can I do to make this more... metallic, frightening... or generally more effective?

It's Painter Classic (getting 5 in June). I'm the cloned person, using Chalk Cloner to reveal my picture (default size, opacity, grain). Then, using a loaded oils brush in dark ochre, painted in the rough shapes of the machine, and used airbrush to enhance those shapes.

I notice the effective "machines" some artist like Jack Kirby or Gil Kane (there are other, more modern examples; if you know lead me to them) produce seem more or less randomized detail patterns. Is there a method to this kind of madness?

I just discovered I don't know how to post an image. Oy.

If this topic resonates with you, please email me and I'll attach the image to the file... until I figure out how to post an image here...

[email protected]

------------------
"work is what you do for others, liebschen; art is what you do for yourself."
ss/sitpwg

Cuddles!
05-27-2001, 02:56 PM
That would be quite welcome. Thanks. I'm not anxious to utilize the more complex features of painter to achieve these effects. Just the basic painterly media, then, maybe once I've got the reflectivity and depth down, maybe I'll advance onto the more complex features of Painter 5. I am not even close to ready to move onto Painter 6. But your help would be appreciated.

Ron.

------------------
"work is what you do for others, liebschen; art is what you do for yourself."
ss/sitpwg

dhenton
05-28-2001, 12:19 AM
this happens to me one of my FAVORITE subjects, I think, but we need to see the picture. Take a look at the drop box marked community at the top left of the page, scroll to the bottom and look for "Image Uploader", then follow the directions on that page. You have no idea how long I've waited for someone to talk about spaceship details....

------------------
"Art is anything you can get away with." -- Marshall McLuhan