PDA

View Full Version : Mini Report on Blue Earth Pastels

PeggyB
07-02-2012, 09:04 PM
I've already posted most of this on the thread that had a question about the Blue Earth pastels from Dakota that was started in May, but thought I'd start a new thread since I've actually used them and this might draw more attention than an old thread does.

I bought the green box because I was low on greens. There's good pigmentation to the sticks, nice range of values. As for the degree of softness, well I'd place the greens between Great American and Sennelier (just looked at Dakota's chart and see that's where they place them too!). One nice thing is they stamp the color number into each stick so no need to tear off paper. The numbers won't last long, but this time I made a good color chart of each one so it will be easy for me to determine what that last little speck of pastel is when I reorder it. They are different enough from Ludwigs that I use them differently.

They are similar enough to Sennelier that when the individual sticks become available, I might buy the Blue Earth instead of the Sennelier because they will be less expensive, and they don't have that breakage problem full sticks of Sennelier have. I sure wish Sennelier would offer the half sticks individually because they have colors I love that aren't available in the Blue Earth.

I've tried them on both UArt 400 and Mi Teintes Touch, and they go down very very nicely.

Peggy

allydoodle
07-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Thank you for the review Peggy. It's nice to know there's yet another brand available that is worth investigating. I also wish Sennelier would make their half sticks open stock. I'm wondering why they don't, I much prefer the half sticks to their whole ones. These Blue Earth pastels do sound nice, have fun with them!

Jason1616
07-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Amen to that Chris! The half stick Sennies are so much nicer.

Thanks for the review Peggy! This is great information to know. I am sooooo tempted to buy the full set of Blue Earths, but I won't...I shall not give in to temptation...

Someday though. :D

PeggyB
07-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Amen to that Chris! The half stick Sennies are so much nicer.

Thanks for the review Peggy! This is great information to know. I am sooooo tempted to buy the full set of Blue Earths, but I won't...I shall not give in to temptation...

Someday though. :D

I never buy a whole set of anything I haven't tried first. I was able to "play" a little bit with the set that Dakota had on site when I went to Desmond O'Hagen's workshop in March, and knew what they felt like going on the paper. I was missing enough greens in the soft range to know I probably wouldn't be disappointed buying the whole set. I look forward to being able to buy individual sticks later this summer. Perhaps that would be a good time for you to try some as well without having to buy all of them. The per stick price will be the same as each stick in the set is.

Peggy

journeysketcher
07-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Hi Peggy, I did not know there was a Blue Earth Pastel Brand. Thanks for the great review - I'm going to check them out online.

Sonni
07-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Sure would like to see a sample of how you used them--maybe a close up?

PeggyB
07-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Sure would like to see a sample of how you used them--maybe a close up?

Sonni I had to set that piece aside awhile as I got a "hurry up" commission; then my cough returned! I'll get back to both the commission and then that painting asap and will post it when it is finished; also a closeup.

KarenB
07-08-2012, 04:18 AM
Peggy, OH NO! Not a dust allergy! Seriously! Time to use a mask. :-)

PeggyB
07-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Peggy, OH NO! Not a dust allergy! Seriously! Time to use a mask. :-)

No Karen, not a pastel dust allergy, but allergies to dust mites and just about anything green outside. The studio has been dust mite "proofed" as has our bedroom, and I have an air purifier so that all helps a lot.