PDA

View Full Version : Redecorating

llis
07-02-2003, 02:50 PM
Soon this forum will have a whole new look. Our forum has grown sooooo big and we have sooooo many posts per day that we are needing to split the forums. I moderate the photography forum as well, and we found a system that works really well, so I thought we would copy it over here and see if it will solve a couple of problems we are having. Here is what I'm thinking...but take a look at the Photography forum to understand better what I am talking about.

~~~

Main section - Pastel ....just like photography except this section would be house announcements only, whereas in photography we use it like I am suggesting we use the last forum listed here.

Sub Forum - Pastel Cafe - Network with your fellow pastel artists, greet new members, and discuss general off-topic subjects. New to the community? Stop in and introduce yourself!

Sub Forum - Pastel Studio & Art Gallery - Come on in, display your art; discuss techiniques, ask questions or offer advice.

Sub Forum - WC! Pastel Journal - Take a break from work and do some reading. Here you will find a special archive of valuable threads contributed by our members

~~~~

This format is going to solve the problem with having so much to share that is off topic and just plain fun. It will be a place to share anything and everything ...even our art if we so choose. The cafe is the hang out.

This format is going to solve the problem with showing our art and getting feedback as well as a place to only discuss serious pastel topics. Now, don't get me wrong...this is not a critique center or just for techinical advice, it is a gallery, critique center, show and tell, technical information, anything ON topic. :)

This format is going to solve the problem of not being able to respond to Hall of Fame threads. Those threads are copies of active threads in the actual pastel forum, but when the actual thread is updated with a post, the hall of fame post remains the same...so valuable input is lost to the hall of fame. With the new format, the hall of fame threads would move to the WC! Pastel Journal and be merged with the active sister thread. Then we can keep talking and we will be able to find important topics so much quicker. The WC! Pastel Journal would not be for new threads, but rather it would be for threads that have won the honor or high ranking by membership. On the old threads, we can all pitch in and rank them so we can save them to the journal. :D

~~~~

Anyway... regardless of where you post... nobody will get upset. We are the same group as ever...just getting bigger and needing more rooms. Don't have a good idea when this might happen...today, tomorrow, next week... but be on the look out for fresh paint!... errrrr dust. :)

bnoonan
07-02-2003, 03:45 PM
I guess we outgrew ourselves. Won't that be a surprise for some the gang that are out on vacation.

Thanks for taking good care of us. Barb

soap
07-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Brilliant! Thanks.
When is this going to start?

Kathryn Wilson
07-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Barb: So many changes! New Moderator - Yay, Mo - now a new look.

Has anyone thought or suggested that the OP's folks would like a special place to be in? Not sure how anyone else feels about this, but OP's kinda get lost in the "dust." There have been some really good discussions and new techniques popping up everyday. How about a subforum?

Just tossing out the idea and if no-one else agrees with me, that's fine - wanted to speak up for the OP folks who are on vacation and won't see all this until they get back.

:confused:

bnoonan
07-02-2003, 04:35 PM
mo is one of the op folks so she can offer a voice. I personally would like them to stay in the same place - too spread out could be a problem.

B

flower
07-02-2003, 04:48 PM
Hi,

Ive only been coming here about 3 months but its certainly motivated me (well at the moment i cant put pastel to paper but ill get over that) i like to find things easier and im sure that whatever is suggested is for our benefit, i think the ops would certainly benefit from there own space only cos im sometimes mixed up when i read pastels and ops and cos im also interested in ops and would welcome the extra advice there..............................but whatever is done, thanks to everyone who takes the time to think all these things out....

Mo.
07-02-2003, 05:20 PM
llis, this sounds an excellent idea.

Pastels are pastels whether oil of soft, to seperate them would be akin to making a new forum for oil pastels...by doing this I can see problems, for instance the Weekly Pastel Thread, would we then have create two, one for soft and one for oil pastels.

This could also create a little divide in the forum ... 'them and us' so to speak..... We do have a sticky thread for OP's with loads of info in there... so personally I would prefer things to remain as is, maybe we could get a little icon made to show whether it's a soft pastel thread or an oil pastel thread... what say you?

Mo.

Katherine J
07-02-2003, 05:26 PM
What a lot of wonderful work you guys do, organizing us like this! I'm not sure I've got the brain cells to figure out where to post - clogged by dust, not doubt! But it sounds good to me and I'll give it a try.

Katherine

Dyin
07-02-2003, 06:20 PM
oooh, I like the icon idea but agree, would hate to see us seperate...too much is interchangeable and I'd maybe not see as much work if it was a seperate forum. Mo...haven't got to the thread yet...are you a new moderator??? Boy is YOUR plate full, what with the new gallery and all...way to go!

Kathryn Wilson
07-02-2003, 06:40 PM
I think the special icon is a great idea. :clap:

soap
07-03-2003, 12:27 AM
As long as we don't get seperated....fine......icon should work as we never really use icons and nudes don't pass by very often.

Dark_Shades
07-03-2003, 02:10 AM
Ive always heard........... dont Fix whats NOT broke!!!!

Craig Houghton
07-03-2003, 02:20 AM
I'd like to see ops left unsegregated by neither an icon nor a seperate forum. There's just too much room for overlap and not enough reason for separation (as I see it).

-Craig

E-J
07-03-2003, 03:52 AM
Stupid question coming up: what happens to all current threads that aren't ranked? Will they get archived, moved to one of the new sub forums, or discarded? :confused:

llis
07-03-2003, 04:21 AM
All the threads will still be here. It is scarry to move the socks from one drawer to another, but once everything is in place, I'm sure everyone will love it. :)

Our house is just growing bigger and having the new space will feel very comfy.

llis
07-03-2003, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Mo.
llis, this sounds an excellent idea.

Pastels are pastels whether oil of soft, to seperate them would be akin to making a new forum for oil pastels...by doing this I can see problems, for instance the Weekly Pastel Thread, would we then have create two, one for soft and one for oil pastels.

This could also create a little divide in the forum ... 'them and us' so to speak..... We do have a sticky thread for OP's with loads of info in there... so personally I would prefer things to remain as is, maybe we could get a little icon made to show whether it's a soft pastel thread or an oil pastel thread... what say you?

Mo.

I agree... for now, let's just keep the oil pastel threads going like we have them now. If we get "huge" numbers of oil pastel artists, we can make a room for them if they like.

Don't worry about the new decorations dividing us..... all of us will still be in the same house. We all can visit our Pastel Cafe for coffee and tea time. The new rooms will just make it easier for us to find the information we need quicker and up to date.

Smudger
07-03-2003, 05:26 AM
cool:D even more pastel forums to play in:cool:

doe
07-03-2003, 07:43 AM
I'm sure what ever you do will be great! Thanks! I wouldn't segregate anything either - it's fun to see the o.p.'s and soft pastels together in one place.

Dima
07-03-2003, 04:11 PM
I think that dry and oil pastels belong together.
Mo's suggestion of an icon to tell which is which is a great idea, I should say.

Dick

flower
07-03-2003, 06:13 PM
Hi Mo,

Another great idea from you with the icon, i think that would be a tremendous help