GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: A VILLAGE IN FRANCE
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 30 x16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Hoping perspective is correct and light source.shadows and highlights...

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All constructive criticism and comments welcome....Christine

Andrewcody
07-02-2012, 02:59 AM
Street scape in France - somewhere.
Sorry it doesn't relate to me as France at all.
The street looks sterile, and the children with their backs to us don't add any life for me.
The perspective is a little off but French street perspective is off in reality anyway so this is not a major problem, the endless concrete looking steps are a problem.

Andrew

leisure artist
07-02-2012, 06:04 AM
Andrew must admit i agree withsome of your coments....this was from a ref photo of a street in france but simplified somewhat...will change title...what can i do to liven it up a bit?More detail on steps...more figures?Christine:)

tgsloth
07-02-2012, 07:04 AM
I like the restrained use of color and generally good drafting. I think you have to "go after" the figures. They're badly drafted and that kills the painting because a viewer's eyes always goes to figures or faces. So use a reference and keep working the figures until they look right. Now they look "balooned" and cartoony.

Andrewcody
07-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Christine, I would open the shutters on the windows
It looks like a sunny day, and I think those shutters would be open
Some flower boxes perhaps?
Colour the pot with the vine growing out of it
Add a spoon drain on the steps, stain these up a bit maybe
Colour the tiles down the ally, terracotta perhaps

More colour, maybe people, change the kids, add a table and chairs (2)

Andrew

song_bird
07-02-2012, 08:51 PM
I agree this does not make one think of France. Maybe Portugal, to me.

You need to warm up the colors. Warm up the buildings with golden ochre, terra cotta, inconsistently applied, bleached from the Sun. Hang flower boxes. Overflow the pots with colorful flowers. Craggle up the 'concrete' so it looks like old and textured stone. Irregular, not perfectly constructed, built by hand, very old. Buildings or row houses not all the same color or shade.

Check out the colors of France to adjust the red and blue. Light or colorful window frames. Wrought iron shutter hardware. Maybe a French storefront sign?

Bring some hot sunny light shining into the painting.

Maybe a couple bouncing down the walk with their dog, lol :cat:

leisure artist
07-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks Andrew,tgsloth and songbird for your comments....much to consider....will prob add colour to walls,and add some flower boxes...original ref had cobbled street and drains which i changed,so may attempt to paint it as intended...will also work on the figures...many thanks Christine:)

Andrewcody
07-04-2012, 01:28 AM
Add a bottle of red, some olive oil, salt , a crusty loaf and a nice soft cheese.
Voila, vous avez tout ce que vous devez faire une rue Franšaise.
Bonne Chance
Andrew

leisure artist
07-05-2012, 06:43 PM
have made a start on changes,will be more impressionistic this time..will repost when finished....Christine:crossfingers:

eyecandy2
07-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Your figures definitely need work. You depiction of the street scene looks too sterile. All of those stairways and walls of the buildings have much more character than you show. The need more texture and colors. Show some of the blues and greens and reds in the walls. Maybe some cracks in the concrete and some signs of wear on the stairs. The vine on the wall isn't at all convincing. It is too clumpy. There must be a hint of shadow behind that vine. If you made all of the shadowed areas deeper, you would increase the atmosphere of the picture. Hope I'm not overwhelming you.

leisure artist
07-10-2012, 11:04 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-10-2012/975459_SSCN1371.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-10-2012/975459_SSCN1370.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: a Village in France(re-visited)
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 30 x16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
have made changes to orriginal painting...more colourful.not so sterile...hopefully now looking more like france....have worked on figures but realize i need more practice in this area

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All comments welcome i realize i have much to lea<br> to improve...Christine

Dana Design
07-10-2012, 12:57 PM
I have merged your threads. Please try to keep the same painting within one thread. You can always upload updates to the original thread. Thanks!

E.Smet
07-12-2012, 03:47 AM
Christine I think it is admirable the way you have taken on the feedback and set back to work. You have definitely made some big improvements and I for one am jealous of how you have pulled off the concrete steps, I always struggle with painting the ground and have no ability to paint perspective what so ever haha. Nice :)

leisure artist
07-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks Ella for your support and encouragement....i am making progress with this piece but feel it is lacking some darks under around the window ledges and amongst the flowers....will wait until dry and take another look,...........looking forward to seeing more of your work Ella......Christine:)

leisure artist
07-13-2012, 04:36 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2012/975459-SSCN1378.JPG I am now calling this painting finished!!!!:crossfingers:

greensyster
07-14-2012, 09:40 PM
The sign of a good artist in the making is that they can take and use constructive critiques. You have and I congratulate you. You took on a hard subject and did it on a largish scale. Working just from a photograph is just too hard in the beginning. Could you try something really familiar to you? Sketch it, take some photos and then have a go at it. You have the makings!

leisure artist
07-15-2012, 02:58 PM
thanks for your comment...i am grateful for all the feedback i recieve on this forum,good or bad....i rise to a challenge!!!Will take on board your advice,more sketchingetc...christine:)