PDA

View Full Version : Who bought Daniel Smith?

SSB
07-01-2012, 02:32 PM
I recently heard that Daniel Smith has been bought. I really don't know how long ago. Does anyone know when and by whom (or what)?

Antiqueteacher
07-02-2012, 12:17 PM
I checked out their sites and found nothing about it.

Katherine

watercolourfanatic
07-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Probably Winsor & Newton!:lol:

Peter:)

schaer
07-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Eeek! I don't like the sound of that. I wonder if I should stock up on my favorite watercolors and oils before the new guy starts changing stuff and raising prices. I buy their watercolors specifically because I find them a better value than Winsor and Newton and several of their oil pigments I can't find anywhere else.

--
A. M. Schaer

KreativeK
07-02-2012, 03:07 PM
I've not heard this, and Googled the question and nothing popped up at all. Probably a tactic to get us to buy MORE and more...

Bobar57
07-02-2012, 04:51 PM
I've not heard this, and Googled the question and nothing popped up at all. Probably a tactic to get us to buy MORE and more...
I don't doubt it.:clear:

Bob

Ken W
07-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Why not just phone them and ask? They should tell you if they've been sold or not and, it seems to me, that evading answering is an answer in itself...

After posting the above, I phoned them and the phone rep acted surprised as could be about this rumor and told me that the business has not been sold to anyone and that the same chemist who has been producing their colors from the beginning is still there, producing their colors now.:clap:

Bobar57
07-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Why not just phone them and ask? They should tell you if they've been sold or not and, it seems to me, that evading answering is an answer in itself...

After posting the above, I phoned them and the phone rep acted surprised as could be about this rumor and told me that the business has not been sold to anyone and that the same chemist who has been producing their colors from the beginning is still there, producing their colors now.:clap:
The same happened to me.It seems to be only rumors.:crossfingers:

Bob

SSB
07-02-2012, 09:31 PM
The same happened to me.It seems to be only rumors.:crossfingers:

Bob

Check Handprint. It just may be a little more reliable than your Daniel Smith rep, ya think?

Rustem
07-02-2012, 09:39 PM
'Tis a mystery - this is from Bruce MacEvoys "handprint" website under paints Daniel Smith:

"Note added Jan. 2012: The Daniel Smith company is no longer owned or managed by Daniel Smith; his appearances in the marketing materials are of the 'Col. Sanders' and 'Betty Crocker' type, and his catalog letters are written by marketing staff. I have not bought paints from the company for several years, so the evaluation above may no longer be accurate."

In the recent summer sale catalog, in the description for PRIMATEK on p.7, it states: "Dan Smith started his company, in part, to make products that were unavailable to fine artists at the time. We continue the tradition by offering mineral paints from natural sources without any additives."

To me there is a telling statement in the separation of Dan Smith in the first sentence and the We in the second. Also, "We continue the tradition..." is a statement of transition.

Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Rusty

WthrLady
07-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Agreed, he started the company, and is now a by stander, but I think it is name branded and maybe held by investors who share the same direction as the founder.

I'm not loosing sleep over it.

SSB
07-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Check Handprint. It just may be a little more reliable than your Daniel Smith rep, ya think?

I didn't mean to sound wrong there, sorry.

Mayberry
07-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Through a bit of Googling I found so far that: Daniel Smith Art Supplies owner/President/CEO is John Cogley. (Listed on Better Business Bureau page and on LinkedIn among other websites.)

Then I found a blog (danielsmithart.blogspot.com) where the author talked about taking a tour of the Daniel Smith store in Kirkland, WA, and met "John Cogley, owner of Daniel Smith Artists' Materials." The blog post is from 2008.

Then I found a business case study of Daniel Smith that mentioned that "The CEO, an 18 year associate of the founder of Company B, purchased the business in 2006." So there you go. As far as I can tell, John Cogley bought the Daniel Smith company in 2006 after having worked there for 18 years.

Yorky
07-03-2012, 02:29 AM
Mystery solved!

Doug

CharM
07-03-2012, 08:00 AM
For me, this seems a tempest in a teapot... I purchase Daniel Smith paint based on quality, delivery and service... If those things suffered, regardless of Company ownership, I'd have to find other brands to fill the void.

Mayberry
07-03-2012, 02:26 PM
I found the business case study I found on the internet interesting. It said that when John Cogley first became CEO of Daniel Smith, he hired a business consulting firm (the folks who wrote the case study). They showed the company how to improve efficiency and improve teamwork, which improved customer service and shipping and allowed them to lower prices on basics, which brought in more customers. Of course, the consulting firm is saying this on the web to advertise their services, but it seems like they've done a good thing.

ingbranch
07-03-2012, 04:02 PM
I just bought some of their fine watercolors and received them in a timely manner considering it was shipped across country. The paints are as good as everyone says though I haven't had time to really get into them. This is the first time I'm using Daniel Smith. They had a good sale and I couldn't resist.

charliez
07-04-2012, 01:36 PM
I am more worried that InBev bought Cerveceria Modelo (maker of Corona and other beers).

If they mess with my watercolors, I can adjust. But if they mess with my beer...

Bobar57
07-04-2012, 05:10 PM
My point of view:Whomever own the company,the staff remains the same,specially the chemist.This is crucial for any paints maker company.
I don't want to sound bossy or authoritative but my opinion is that the quality remains the same.

Bob

WthrLady
07-04-2012, 06:24 PM
True, until higher ups decide they want to increase the profit margin and then decrease the quality of the supplies FOR the chemist or demand lower quality from him and then it all goes to pot.

CharM
07-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Then we use our loudest voice of all... our consumer dollars... we have choices.

Bobar57
07-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Then we use our loudest voice of all... our consumer dollars... we have choices.
Hear,hear:thumbsup::clap::clap::clap:

Bob

WthrLady
07-04-2012, 10:30 PM
yup.

StewGold
07-06-2012, 06:44 PM
"It was me; I will of course find out everyone who bought Ultramarine, and remove them from the mailing lists; as I don't like ultramarine ; and of course ban everyone of them from shopping. Then award free paint totally at random, to myself, with my newly found 200% staff discount. Now where's that $100 million lottery ticket?. LOL." Sounds like one of those rumours that wanders the world, fueled by the internet. DS's chemist is def on the ball, there's been a few introductions that are within weeks of the patents being granted for new permanent colour tones; enjoy the colours and complain if it changes

MakeMoreArt
02-23-2018, 06:48 PM
If anyone is still curious as to the answer to this question. I used to be an employee at Daniel Smith. The company was sold to their then CEO in '98. After checking Linkedin, I found he still owns the company and is 75 years old. The Chemist who formulates all their paints - I would imagine he is still working there too. He'd only be about 55 years old today. However, I did see that another company is run their wholesale division. I doubt that means much of anything other than another company is warehousing and shipping their products.

edmund ronald
02-23-2018, 07:30 PM
John Cogley, the owner of Daniel Smith, joined the company in the IT department nearly 3 decades ago, working his way up to President and CEO, eventually buying the company in 2008. With over 2 decades of leading the company as President, CEO and Owner, John has been the driving force behind making DANIEL SMITH Watercolors and other products to be recognized as the world’s best. Because of his commitment to innovation, and to manufacturing the highest quality paints and other products, artists worldwide can rely on the performance of those products year after year.