PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with chalk pastel pencils

kmoose
07-01-2012, 12:56 AM
Hey guys! I bought a set of "General's chalk pastel pencils" today, and I quickly discovered that I don't know what I'm doing.. I attempted to do a picture of a cat, but one thing I noticed is that I can't do white highlights on top of the colours. I've been watching a lot of instructional videos, and everyone is able to add white on top of the other pastel colours. Am I doing something wrong?
Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated- as I said, this is my first pastel day. I'd love to hear some thoughts!
Thanks!

water girl
07-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Here's a thought. Buy a white Rembrandt or other soft pastel stick and see if that works for you.

*Deirdre*
07-01-2012, 04:42 PM
I've moved your thread to our Talk section as it belongs there...but I've left a redirect in case you can't find it! Welcome to the Pastel Forum...you'll find once you get started with pastels you'll soon be hooked! I suggest, as this is your 1st post, that you read this thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814221)- it should help!:D

DAK723
07-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Welcome to the pastel forum! I don't use pastel pencils myself, but like all things about pastels, it makes a difference what type of paper you are using, as well as the brand of pencils. For the most part, though, pastel pencils are hard - and they will not deposit much pastel compared to softer pastel sticks. So it is quite likely that it is difficult to cover another color. It may work better on a paper with more tooth - such as a sanded paper - as those types of paper will accept more layers. Perhaps you are already using a sanded paper, but if not, as an experiment, you can try to do some experimenting on a regular piece of sandpaper and see if you get a better result.

Hopefully someone with more pastel pencil experience will chime in, but -as mentioned - it might not be a bad idea to get a few softer pastel sticks as well!

Don

allydoodle
07-01-2012, 07:40 PM
I use pastel pencils often times for portrait commissions. I use Wallis paper for these, and I don't have any trouble layering or covering darks with lights. The brands of pastel pencils I use are Carb Othello, Gioconda, Derwent and Conte. I don't have a problem with any of these brands, and I work dark to light. I've also played around with them on Canson paper, though I much prefer the results on the Wallis sanded paper. The colors seem much brighter on the Wallis, a big plus.

CastorCreations
07-02-2012, 04:08 PM
I use Faber Castell Pitt pencils all the time on Murano paper (bit similar to the Mi Teintes). I find that to cover dark with light, it is better to not apply too much pressure with the pencils on the paper. I find I can get many layers on my paper provided I am gentle. As soon as I press hard, it's as if the tooth of the paper flattens, it becomes shiny and nothing will go over the top!

Be gentle with your pencils, build many light layers and you should find you get better coverage.

kmoose
07-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks so much guys for the tips!