PDA

View Full Version : Invitation to a website

Interested
03-21-2001, 11:13 AM
Not yet updated, this is some of the work of an organic modeler for ILM's Creature Modeling Dept. He's just begun working for ILM and has been assigned to Star Wars Episode 2 right now.
www.Dylan3d.com (http://www.Dylan3d.com)

pixelscapes
03-21-2001, 08:50 PM
Really, really impressive. I wonder what kind of graphics packages (and hardware) are needed to pull that sort of thing off? Wish the site had more info!

(Is it your site, or were you just inviting us to go look because it's impressive?)

-=- Jen "Leia Organic" de la Cruz

Interested
03-21-2001, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by pixelscapes:
Really, really impressive. I wonder what kind of graphics packages (and hardware) are needed to pull that sort of thing off? Wish the site had more info!

(Is it your site, or were you just inviting us to go look because it's impressive?)
-=- Jen "Leia Organic" de la Cruz

My oldest son. His temporary email address is [email protected] This until he gets a DSL line set up in San Francisco.

I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you what software he used for the site to that point.

Right now he is involved in a three-week training program required by ILM -- learning proprietary software in preparation for organic modeling -- creatures for Star Wars, the film to be released in Oct. I believe.

[This message has been edited by Interested (edited March 22, 2001).]

Shehaub
03-22-2001, 11:16 AM
I like this site! His artwork is great!

From what I read, he uses Maya for his modeling and various other programs (Deep paint, photoshop) for his textures and painting.

Interested
03-22-2001, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Shehaub:
From what I read, he uses Maya for his modeling and various other programs (Deep paint, photoshop) for his textures and painting.

He used Maya in college I think.

Woops wrongo: It was Alias he used in college.

I'm totally out of my league when it comes to computer art. He has a hard time explaining the difference between a animator, a organic modeler, a hard (?) modeler, a colorest etc. etc. to me. A lot of different areas of expertise.

[This message has been edited by Interested (edited March 22, 2001).]

digistyle
03-24-2001, 07:39 AM
Excellent work on this site. Good 3D work always blows me away.

digistyle

------------------
Limits? What limits?

Interested
03-24-2001, 09:26 AM
For your edification only. Its always nice to know what these places are looking for. Especially for those still in training of some sort. This is a small company but it just completed a game for Parmount Activision called Star Trek Away Team which is sheduled to be released in April I believe. A bunch of decent guys.

"Reflexive Entertainment, Inc. is currently seeking individuals for the following positions...

3d Artist / Animator

Reflexive is looking for a full-time Artist. Qualified applicants will have at least 2 years experience in the production of games (any killer 3d artist with no game experience will be considered, of course). Artist will have many years experience in some of the following software applications...

3d Studio Max / Character Studio
Lightwave and/or other 3d Modeling/Animation software
Adobe PhotoShop
Fractal Design Painter (and/or other paint programs)
Experience in all other applications a plus.

Notes on applying for an Artist position.
Applicants must provide nonreturnable samples of work on any form of media along with resume and salary requirements. Resumes without samples will not be considered. Quality of work will be considered the most important aspect. Applicants would have to work in Irvine, California.

We will be looking for 3d rendered samples showing exceptional skills in some (or all) of the following abilities...

Texture mapping and lighting
Organic modeling (Characters of any kind.)
Artistic Composition (Does the overall rendering look cool?)
Previous work experience (It is very good to show us art samples
of games that you have previously worked on.)

It is also very good to show us samples of traditional art skills. These samples can be anything from sketches to drawings. An even better example would be to show color illustrations and/or paintings of some type..

Please send nonreturnable samples and resume to...

Reflexive Entertainment
Attn: HR Department
21068 Bake Parkway Ste# 100
Lake Forest, CA 92630

Or you can e-mail samples to [email protected]

Writer / Level Designer

Reflexive is also looking for a full-time Writer / Level Designer. Qualified applicants will have at least 2 years experience in the production of games for this position. Use and knowledge of some of the following software applications is required...

Strong fantasy/science fiction writing skills
College degree in English or Creative Writing a plus Lightwave 3d
3d Studio Max / Character Studio
Or other 3d modeling applications
MS Excel (or other spreadsheet/database program)
Experience with custom level-editing tools required
Experience in all other applications a plus

Applicants without the necessary experience for the position will not be considered. Samples of work or list of titles worked upon is also required for consideration. Applicants would have to work in Lake Forest, California.

We offer a creative environment that allows the team members to develop game ideas with as few constraints as possible. Reflexive has a laid-back atmosphere that we feel is conducive to the thought process and is important to making better games...

Please send samples, resume and salary requirements to...

Reflexive Entertainment
Attn: HR Department
21068 Bake Parkway Ste# 100
Lake Forest, CA 92630 "

Interested
03-25-2001, 09:15 PM
Please don't let my post about the above opporunity stop anyone from responding to the website in question. I posted with the best intentions.

Visit: www.dylan3d.com (http://www.dylan3d.com)

Please visit and express your opinion.

Interested
03-29-2001, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Shehaub:
I From what I read, he uses Maya for his modeling and various other programs (Deep paint, photoshop) for his textures and painting.

The site has been somewhat updated, here is a quote:

"I am currently employed as an organic modeler at Industrial Light + Magic.
The work seen on this site is my personal work. It was done previous to my employment at ILM.

Due to the confidential nature of the work I canít show any of the models Iím currently working on (project: Star Wars Episode 2)
but you can rest assured that when I find a little time to myself Iíll try to create some new imagery for the site.

I get a lot of questions on how I model and what hardware I use. My home computer is a 933 PIII, with 768MB of ram, and a Wildcat 4000 graphics card. I model primarily in Maya, using whatever suits the project best, be it NURBS, polygons or patch modeling.

Though I usually model in NURBS, my most recent portfolio contains mostly polygonal work, that will likely change with future additions. Iíve yet to do any hard-core sculpting using subdivision surfaces. In my opinion it really doesnít matter what tools you use or what package you use, what is important, is the work itself.

Before ILM I worked at Reflexive Entertainment as a 3D Artist in Lake Forest, California. I worked on the new Activision strategy game Star Trek: Away Team."

LeviNeto
03-29-2001, 09:39 PM
Wow..really impressive, but not quite elaborated works.
He sure has talent with computers but there is still a lot missing, I can see he concentrates at some part of his drawings and almost forget about the rest, thats why I got from the rhino character he did. It has a nice head and neck but his body is very amateur and looks like he just made it to complete the artwork, without interest on it.
I guess he can start learning and going to the market, but theres a long road yet to cross.

AIGottlieb
08-24-2001, 01:47 PM
He's an organic modeler; not an animator, not a colorist. A virtual scuptor. Think of marble or clay. The 3D image is all. He creates the character.

Also works with proprietary software professionally, which allows for miraculous creative freedom, but he's limited to what can appear on his own website. Must be accomplished at home and its hard to push the envelope and get to where he needs to go using the software and now the "time" at his disposal. The software and imagery is never taken from the job site due to industry marketing etc. Everything must be released exactly on time -- its the top notch of the film industry. Can't even talk about their work.

sherville
08-25-2001, 01:15 AM
Thank you so much for posting all that info! I am trying SO hard to get my foot in the door. I keep pestering Brilliant Digital, but it's not working! I think I might go pester Disney for a 2D job for a while....
Your son's site looks great! I guess he has no time to post on this site because of his new job? I think we could all learn a lot from him... I wish him the best of luck with ILM he really deserves that job looking at his website.

Pixelscapes, I think ILM use Softimage, but I'm not sure :)