PDA

View Full Version : Prints and shows

eyeburp
03-07-2001, 04:21 PM
I'm wondering what you (digital artists) are selling at shows. Are ALL your prints giclees? Is it OK to sell cheaper desktop inkjet output as long as you are upfront about what it is?

I have an Epson Photo EX (6-color) inkjet. What kinds of papers, in your experience, work well with desktop inkjets that might hold up better than standard Epson paper? Is the standard Epson ink good for prints to sell or should I buy from a different vendor?

Also, what shows do you do? Are there specific shows for digital art?

I'm just beginning to explore the fine art arena with my digital work, and I'm curious about your experiences (as digital artists) with selling work in non-gallery settings. Or does everyone here sell their digital work through a gallery?

Thanks.

Ryenke
03-07-2001, 08:20 PM
Hi,

I can't help much because as of yet I've not tried to sell anything. But, there is a yahoo group (used to be e-groups) called digital fine arts and many of the people active on that group seem to sell ink jet prints. You might want to check the archives and see what they have been doing.

Ryenke

Victoriaa
03-07-2001, 09:34 PM
You can sell anything you want of course, but if you want to be in the big leagues -- selling to collectors, you MUST output monoprints (originals) or limited edition prints on archival quality paper with archival inks. That will put your cost just to output, at minimum $45. The original is the 1/1, or monoprint--only one produced. You should supply a serious collector with a certificate of authenticity and your signature at the bottom of the painting. You are GUARANTEEING to the buyer that this is the only painting. Do the same for limited editions, sign and number (of course the price will be less per unit, because you are selling more of the same image--old supply and demand economics at work! :-)). Anything done on non-archival papers/canvas and inks--buyer beware and for the artist--you are putting your reputation on the line. For more info. on archival papers and inks, you can take a look at the Whelhem testing site. They test papers and inks and set standards for the industry.

------------------
Victoriaa

Victoriaa
03-13-2001, 09:48 AM
To answer your question about shows--there are digital shows you can enter and they will help grow your resume but remember the whole purpose of entering shows is for eventual sales-either at the show or through the accomplishment of an extensive and active resume. Gallery owners want to see what kind of recognition/awards you have received and they look at your resume to determine that history. Your resume is part of the package that convinces a gallery owner to add you to their stable of artists. That is the ultimate goal--gallery representation--and SALES. Unfortunately for digital artists, we don't have wide-spread acceptance among gallery owners or museums. So they won't give much weight to the digital shows you have on your resume until they have come to accept digital art as a viable art form. What they DO give weight to, is large national/international fine art shows and fortunately there are quite a few now that do accept digital art. If I were to give you some guidance in how to fill your resume, enter the exhibitions and shows that gallery owners DO give credence to and hang in-there for the future time when digital art gains greater acceptance and appreciation. Another possible option, of course, is to stick to the small but growing niche market of digital art collectors. Going the digital show route will get you in front of those buyers.

------------------
Victoriaa

Epicurea
03-18-2001, 09:53 PM
This topic reminded me of the website of another digital artist who posts here a lot & happens to print her own monoprints & limited reproductions.

I'm sure she probably won't mind someone providing the link (free advertising is always cool! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/biggrin.gif)...

art by jen de la cruz (http://www.pixelscapes.com/)

Go to the digital art prints gallery, explanations on the prints can be found by clicking on a thumbnail & then the print-info links underneath. Also might be helpful in getting an idea on pricing.

Hope you don't mind, Jen. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/wink.gif

Cassandra

------------------
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

"The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -- Sylvia Plath

[This message has been edited by Epicurea (edited March 18, 2001).]

pixelscapes
03-21-2001, 08:08 PM
Heheheh, no, I don't mind at all. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

Other folks' advice has been on the right track. Don't let me mislead you: I've only sold about... $600 of digital work over the last year. Then again, I don't feel I've really even started promoting myself yet.

Even so, it's quite clear that limited editions are the way to go. Monoprints are even better. Sure, you could sell cheaper prints with cheaper materials... but to me, that seems like setting yourself up to fail, for several reasons.

1) It reinforces the audience's perception of printed digital artwork as something cheap or low-quality

2) Correspondingly it cheapens your own effort, the effort it took to create the original image

2) It puts you in competition with the million zillion other random offset prints out there in the world. You know, the kind you can get at frame shops for $10. You can't possibly compete with, or support yourself via, volume sales like a poster shop could...

Hope this helps somehow!

-=- Jen "Printin'" de la Cruz