PDA

View Full Version : Digital Art Submissions

Victoriaa
02-27-2001, 10:38 PM
This is a call for Digital Artists to submit their work for review at the Digital Arts Group. All artists pages are free for qualified candidates. The Digital Arts Group is a non-profit and educational site supporting "natural media digital artists" and this new form of art. Go to the site to see if you are a good fit. http:www/digitalartsgroup.com

------------------
Victoriaa

Shehaub
02-28-2001, 11:18 AM
I don't think I am quite ready for something like this, but I did look at the site. It is always exciting to see digital art displayed as "real art". This gives me something to aim for. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

eyeburp
03-07-2001, 05:08 PM
What constitutes "natural media" digital art? Is it just limited to Painter images? Or are they just trying to exclude 3-D rendered digital images?

Looks like an interesting forum for digital artists though. Glad to see it.

Victoriaa
03-07-2001, 07:47 PM
Natural Media Digital art is art that looks like it was created by any other traditional medium but IS digital. The founders of the group love all forms of digital art (why wouldn't we? we ARE digital), however because the final art looks like it was created with a traditional medium (oils, acrylics, ect) there is, as a result, great confusion surrounding this form of art. We have challenges on both ends of the sprectrum-the digital art galleries don't want us--we don't look digital and the fine art galleries don't want us--because we create work using a computer! (We have called galleries and many still think the computer did the work or someone pushed a button and viola!) The site is a response to these inherent challenges and the goal is to EDUCATE the art buying public and clear the way for others coming up a future of acceptance and appreciation for this art form. If you take a closer look at the site, you will see that there are many methods to any artists final piece. Some use Painter or Deep Paint, others use Photoshop or Illustrator and any combination of the above and more. All of this is thouroughly explained on the site--in the articles section and on the artist's pages. http://www.digitalartsgroup.com

------------------
Victoriaa

eyeburp
03-07-2001, 10:22 PM
I'll have to spend more time there.

Back in 1996, I entered an old art contest that had never had digital entries before. I came in second and everything was great until they discovered my piece, which appeared traditional, was actually an IRIS print. It was clearly labeled under 'medium' to be digital. A lot of people were really pissed. The contest changed it's rules to exclude any type of digital image, and I stopped painting all together. Your comments about the gallery situation for digital artists isn't very encouraging. That actually relates to the other topic I posted regarding cheaper output for a lower end buyer. I could never convince serious buyers (5 years ago) that the image they fell in love with was no different from a traditional painting (or especially a print from a painting). People who were at shows to buy prints actually used to give me a hard time about my images coming out of Painter!!! If you're buying what is essentially a poster with a number on it what difference does it make how the image was created?! Do you encounter many buyers who don't believe that your 'paintings' are actually one-of-a-kind?

Victoriaa
03-07-2001, 11:32 PM
I think one could look at the future of digital painting as either the glass is half empy or half full. Sure there are tremendous number of challenges we face, but as creators and visionaries we owe it to ourselves to continue to paint the way we must, whether it be digital or not. Currently, at least in the fine art markets, most of the people on the site, and those I have spoken to, are finding doors closing and others (in unconventional places) opening. Of course, commercial artists can still "hide in the closet" if you will, since buyers don't care how the work is done. In fact, in a growing number of cases, it is a plus for the artist getting the assignment. So, if you are a commercial digital artist--fate is on your side right now. And fortunately, unlike the impressionist days, change and perceptions are moving very fast. There is great hope that in traditional institutions digital fine artists can expect to find increasing acceptance. This is already beginning to happen in major fine art markets like New York and elsewhere. The key to acceptance is education and if you are a digital fine artist--paitence and persistence. As artists we tend to move ahead of the tribal/cultural learning curve so we are bound to have a few rotten potatoes thrown our way. The way The Digital Arts Group handles "hard to die dated thinking" is we take action. We have a fast growing list of organizations that refuse to accept digital artwork as a viable art form. We post their addresses and emails so artists can ask them why. We have asked many, and the answers are astoundingly ignorant of our processes. Needless to say, the best response is to collectively respond back. That is what the Digital Arts Group is all about. Right now we have the opportunity to define what are art is about and how we want to sell it before art sellers (who no nothing about digital art) do that for us. http://www.digitalartsgroup.com

As for selling digital fine art, there are some who are finding success. Real success in the fine art world means moving up to the high end collector market. Any other type of buyer is usually shopping for a bargain and that is exactly the kind of price range you can expect--certainly not enough to make a living full-time. High end buyers will PAY for quality and authenticity and will buy from a reputable gallery WITH the 40-50% tacked on. As an artist, you have got to have the skill, talent and lucky timing with your vision to put that kind of high caliber and visionary work in front of these collectors. That means climbing the ladder up just like any other talented fine artist--show, show, show, solid resume and mind-blowing art. I think maybe give it another 5 years and more digital artist will be breaking through that illusury glass ceiling that has stopped gifted digital artists to date. Right now, believe it or not, the biggest obstacle we face is fear from other artists (non-digital) -- to bad they don't realize there is enough room in this pond for everyone.

PS. Many of the artists enter shows that EXCLUDE digital art and are juried in anyways (of course you have to enter in the "mixed media" category during the slide submission to avoid initial detection, but I don't know of any jurors at the show, sniffing the canvas/paper to see whether it is paint or not). Just goes to show you, the gatekeepers need to do their homework!

------------------
Victoriaa

bluespade
03-07-2001, 11:47 PM
I find what you're saying very interesting, but why do you emphasize the idea that it should look like another medium? Why the restriction?

------------------
Doug
Blue Spade Productions
http://www.bluespade.com

Victoriaa
03-08-2001, 12:11 AM
There is no restriction to what your particular style of digital art looks like but my concerns here and my responses to your questions are based on artist's work that is what we call "natural media digital art" (for instance if a shows guidelines excludes digital art and your art "looks" digital--you won't even get past the initial slide screening. In that case I would just call the organization and ask them why they won't accept digital art. But in a natural media digital artist's case, (our work looks traditionally rendered) we can get past the gatekeepers. They haven't any idea that the work was done digitally). The ultimate point is, of course, that all forms of digital art SHOULD be included in all fine art contests! I think that ALL digital artists regardless, should collectively band together to slay the art buying publics perceptions that digital art (in any form) is not "real" art. The Digital Arts Group site specifically focuses on the challenges our particular niche group faces, however we are in the process of joining forces with other digital groups (photoshop, 3D and more) in an ongoing dialogue of what we can do collectively to increase opportunities for all digital artists.

------------------
Victoriaa

Spectra7
03-08-2001, 02:14 AM
I would like to join the discussion if I may. I would like to introduce myself. I am the other co-founder of the Digital Arts Group and working digital artist. I have a classical background in painting and have chosen now to work digitally.

I think the bigger issue underlying most of what has been said is not whether the medium is digital or not, but whether the artwork is significant. The issue of medium seems to be overshadowing the real intent and that is the artwork itself. Digital is NOT a style of painting but rather a technique or a process. We say it is an impressionist style painting not an oil style. The issue is further complicated by the fact that digital art encompasses such a wide array of techniques, technologies, and methods that it is hard to categorize it as other medium have been. I therefore say that we don't attempt to define it like anything that has become before because it isn't like anything that has come before. We are in a radical departure from convention and that is bringing the ususal controversy along with it. I happen to love traditional styles of painting, but I also happen to love the freedom and creativity digital methods bring to that forum. As artist we must BE in our time if we are to do anything meaningful and therefore digital medium is the most artful and contemporary endeavor I can think of. Every movement has faced the adversity we are in and that just comes with new territory.

I say let us band together and raise the public awareness to the wave that is coming and thunder across the art world and usher in a new era I like to call the "Age of Integration" I call it Art Lumena because it has its birth in pure light and energy, so much closer to the raw source of the universe itself.

With a unified voice we can create a new movement that brings many forms of art together in a way not seen before and find new avenues of expression as we go.

Keep talking http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

Gene

digistyle
03-08-2001, 05:28 PM
Digital is NOT a style of painting but rather a technique or a process.

This is something I've gone 'round and 'round with myself. I usually tend to think in terms of "I'm doing a portrait or I'm doing illustration or whatever". The medium that I'm working in means less to me than the subject or style that I'm working in. I have always considered my work to be art, whether I'm laying down pigment, smearing charcoal or pushing pixels around.

Just my 2 cents worth.

BTW, I think this has turned into a very informative discussion.

digistyle

hairballsdotcom
03-11-2001, 01:44 AM
Wow -- this discussion sounds soooo familiar!

This same struggle with attitude towards "digital" has been brewing for the past 8 years in the Photography arena also.

Many Photography groups and clubs resisted "digitally" retouched photos -- prints and slides. Many went to the extent to prohibit it from competitions -- allowing entries only special categories like “Digital” or “Contemporary”. Those doing realistic, photographic retouching and creating on the computer, no matter how minor, were forced to compete with abstracts and special effects. Only recently has the situation improved. WHY? because the "digital" darkroom photographers now out number the traditional ones! Many of my friends who strongly argued against "digital" NOW have computers themselves and are fighting for the same acceptance that "color" photographers fought for when black and white was the norm.

I’m a Graphic Artist, Photographer and Fine Artist.
After years of struggling with traditional graphics methods and frustrating employed positions, 15 years ago I started my own graphics business based on the Macintosh computer. From day one I had to defend the way I did my work. NOW every Ad Agency in the world has digital equipment.

I feel the photography and fine art areas will eventually embrace digital the same way the commercial world has. Its just taking a little longer.

“The computer is a TOOL nothing more! Without the creativity, talent, knowledge and experience of the person using it, a computer does little more than a camera or a brush!” -- Lori Lee

------------------
Lori Lee
Artist, Photographer, and Cat Lover
Hairballs.com (http://hairballs.com/art) Cat Art & Collectibles
Scamper by today and you'll be purring tomorrow!
Add your paw print to my FREE monthly drawing.