View Full Version : scaling-up gadget

06-28-2012, 05:00 AM
I am writing an article which includes information about how to "scale up" from a smaller sketch. I saw, recently, a clip on youtube, I think, about a gadget which some artists use...........it looks like a zig-zag shape metal thingy, you put a pencil at one end, and at the other too I imagine, and you trace around the small sketch and on the larger sheet, the other pencil puts down lines onto your bigger sheet.

I have no idea what it is called................anyone?

06-28-2012, 06:18 AM
Pantograph maybe?


06-28-2012, 06:45 AM
Yep, it's a pantograph. I have one, it's very old and made of wood, and I used to use it. It has a nail in one part that you move over the small image, you adjust the screws to the size you want the scale-up to be and as you go over the small image the pencil makes the large image. It was OK, but the slightest wobble is of course magnified on the large drawing by whatever scale you have set, so I don;t think it was brilliant if you wanted pinpoint accuracy, but it was a good tool in the days before computers.


06-28-2012, 08:39 AM
Maybe you mean proportional dividers (http://www.amazon.com/Accurasee-ACC-Divider-Proportional-Divider/dp/B005QSBA2S) which can be used to scale up or down a drawing?


06-28-2012, 10:27 AM
This thread has the UK pretty well covered. Perhaps someone from Wales can chime in. Pantograph.

06-28-2012, 10:51 AM
How about the States :lol: ? Yup, I believe that is a pantograph.

Kathryn Wilson
06-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Sometimes the old methods really work! It is a pantograph and I need to look into that as I have some very small paintings I'd like to do larger.


06-29-2012, 09:16 AM
thanks everyone. Yes, it was a pantograph I saw. The proportional dividers look interesting to...good idea. I shall mention both. Thanks for your help folks

06-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Where are you from SSB? What fun, to see how people from all over visit WC.