PDA

View Full Version : Evening Skies

yankalbaska
06-28-2012, 12:42 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-27-2012/1085002_Evening_Sky.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Evening Skies
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x12
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
Evening skies before the night rain starts. Tried to express the moving of the rainy clouds from the north.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments appreciated. A first post on wetcanvas.

tgsloth
06-28-2012, 07:31 AM
It looks like the scene is water, no? I ask because the far shore is not flat but rolls up and down which is impossible. But it looks charming; a bit like a fantasy scene. You've chosen intense blues for the clouds. Again, that's not realistic but it's fun. But the depiction is flat, two dimensional. Look at some real cloud and you see that they have form and are usually dark and rather gray at the bottoms. Your painting is so unrealistic that I'm supposing that you made it up rather than employing a photo or live scene as a reference. I think if you work from a reference, you'll progrss more quickly.

lunchbox
06-28-2012, 08:18 AM
You have composed the painting well so that the interest is the sky. A dark line would separate that water from the land. The colors of blue are interesting, and I like the darkness of the houses. Not sure of your style just yet, so lets move to the clouds. You are right about adding a touch of red along the horizon to indicate distance, however you are speaking about rainy clouds coming in, so there would definitely be stormy grey clouds in the horizon. It is often good to add some the ground colors into the sky cloud colors, but in more muted or greyed tones. This helps to create unity in the piece. Right now the pink catches our eye against the contrast of blues which is fine, but would not indicate a storm approaching, but does perfectly match the title of Evening Skies :) Welcome to Wetcanvas :wave:

yankalbaska
06-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks for pointing out flatness. That's what i'm concerned with in my paintings. I'll work more on that. I appreciate the point on unity of colors too. Great to have such a response!

Andrewcody
06-28-2012, 08:22 PM
I don't see any water at all, and I am not sure what Tsloth means by the land rolling up and down being impossible?
If you stand in a valley and look up to the hills they will undulate against the sky.
That is nature, not every aspect has a straight horizon line.
Is it water????

I like the painting, the signature blazes out a bit disconcertingly, but other than that I like it

Andrew

yankalbaska
06-29-2012, 03:03 AM
No, it's not water. It's just a dark crop field on the hill and it's blue, because there is no sun and I see it that way when it's dark. Thanks.

Andrewcody
06-29-2012, 10:46 AM
That is what I saw a field of crops
Reminiscent of Vincent VG
Nice