GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: mediterranean view
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 6 x 8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I am new to the forum and this is my first posting. I am considering doing a larger version with some changes but not sure what at this point. The only thing I know for sure is I will make the r.h. column more exposed as I believe a frame would completely hide it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Looking for any feedback but especially regarding composition. I originally intended to place the woman in the far co<br>er of the veranda but realized her flesh tones would be swallowed up by the similar values and hues of the vertical column. So I moved her forward so she would contrast against the distant land. I am also looking for input on her dress color.

Thanks for looking
John

lunchbox
06-28-2012, 06:54 AM
For such small dimensions you have done a wonderful job. Your thoughts on composition are good ones and I'm glad you followed your instincts. I think the dress reflecting the colors of the water gives it a peaceful feeling, in fact, the overall feeling is one of relaxation and calm. Welcome to Wetcanvas :)

eyecandy2
06-28-2012, 01:51 PM
The main fault that I find with your painting is that it is too flat. You need more variation of values. The darker parts of the inside of the patio should have a much deeper value to show that it is shaded from the bright outside. Go look at how professional artist create that feeling on indoor and sun lighted areas. Stong contrast is the key. The outdoor land mass needs a little more definition even though it is further away.

Andrewcody
06-28-2012, 08:34 PM
I think this is a good start
You need to have the areas of light and shade more defined
The right hand column will be hidden with a frame but I think you have a perspective problem with the arches and columns anyway. If you correct this I think you may have more column on the right.
Andrew

La_
06-29-2012, 01:53 AM
i think it's a lovely study and you should definitely do another a bit larger.
i like the values, sure there's room to really push them more, but i find it has a gentle warmth to it the way you've graduated things.

so yeah, fix up the perspective issues in the under drawing of the next one ... think about the rule of thirds for placing the focal point (her, or her and a pillar?). i'd give her a white dress, with blues for shadows.

welcome to WC!

la

johnsart1
06-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. As I stated before, my original thought was to place the woman in the far corner of the veranda. This is where all the perspective lines are leading. But her flesh tones would be hidden in the pillars.
Moving her up to the forward pillar would have put her in the "thirds" but I thought then she would be almost looking out of the painting. If I did this, I also thought that the viewer would be conflicted about the focal point, where the perspective lines lead (where there is nothing of interest) or to the woman.

John

La_
06-30-2012, 12:30 AM
all good thoughts ... ultimately you get to decide what the coi is and how to support it - by perspective and values and edges and placement

let's say you put her one pillar to the left
perspective leads us there, there she is, a little lonely, distant, seeking, way over there

let's say you put her one pillar to the right
there she is up close and personal, waiting for her guest, the viewer
perspective fades away to distant beautiful support

which do you prefer 'cause placement/composition supports story,
or not
depending on what your trying to say

la

johnsart1
07-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Thanks La, I think I'll just shift her and the columns slightly to the left so she is not right in the center and then possibly deemphasize the perspective lines in the far corner. I'll so another do another trial with darker values as suggested and possibly changing her dress to white. This discussion has prompted me to look into an app called procreate where you can import a photo ( my painting ) and alter it digitally. I have no experience with this but it certainly sounds like an easy way to change things around in your composition to see the effect. I hope it as useful as it appears to be.

John