PDA

View Full Version : 1 My Valentine 2 Sensual 3 Lady in Red

Mike Conlin
06-27-2012, 04:04 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-27-2012/979792_DSC_6555b.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-27-2012/979792_DSC_6558DSC_6558_1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-27-2012/979792_DSC_6562DSC_6562.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: 1 My Valentine 2 Sensual 3 Lady in Red
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 1500 x 800mm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
there are no coments in this field

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am about to launch my career as a full time artist. I would like to ask the panel for feedback on the type of art i am offering.(ie would this sell) This is the 5th 6th and 7th painting i have completed in this series

Andrewcody
06-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Good Luck Michael
Do you own the reference images?

lunchbox
06-28-2012, 07:52 AM
I know that close ups in larger pieces are selling in our states. They are basically used for coffee shops,small bistros, and places that wish to convey an art edge. Even the library in our small town has featured several large paintings done in line and shape designs. They look great against the large brick wall. One thing you may wish to look at in the first one is where her calf is covered by the cloth, the cloth seems to cut an odd shape by the leg, her resting elbow also gives the illusion of forming a V. Easy fixes by the talent seen here. Best wishes on your new endeavors.

eyecandy2
06-28-2012, 01:45 PM
I find it difficult to critique. You paint very well. Your subject matter seems very commercial rather than fine art although I'm sure that you are very capable of fine art. I guess you have done what you intended and you do it very well. The first figure needs a little work. Her right forarm is not quite right. The perspective is off. I would feed that model.... funny. Everything else is wonderully executed.

painter1960
06-28-2012, 04:18 PM
All three of these are breathtaking!

La_
06-29-2012, 01:41 AM
nice stuff indeed, good luck, in the right market they could sell as originals, prints, posters, coasters or t-shirts - whatever you want to market them as.

1. the waste to hip curve is a really nice curve, why hide it?

2. breast shadows might be a bit harsh, could be softened

3. bottom right, flesh color, is that the other hand? or a nose? needs clarification for me ... viewers left hand, upper most finger is unclear as to index or middle finger ... great art deco all in all tho, really, good luck !

la

Andrewcody
06-29-2012, 02:22 AM
Hi Mike
I just notice the size of the works, 1.5 by .8 metres? Is that for each painting?
Those are some serious sized paintings.
The hair in picture two is very good - some detail to her mouth would have helped, some care with her anatomy too, dark are in the ear.
Picture two similarly would improve with some care on the anatomy, placement of the lace due to the pose, does break the line of the curve as La says which is unfortunate.
Picture 3 is probably the weakest - others have pointed out some intrusions which draw the eye once noticed, the nose thing on the bottom right, the strange long finger thing on the top left of the hand.
The philtrum is quite pronounced and there is that dark area in her palm.
The lips curve down on the left and up on the right and look like those perfect lips we draw when not studying a true reference - this isn't a criticism just an observation - these works are decorative.

The backgrounds in picture 1 and 2 are really effective - like raw concrete, I like that effect a lot.

Care to share how you achieved that?

Andrew