GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Berries
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 8 X 10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This was a relaxing one to do. Maybe a little more glazing for contrasts?

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Appreciate any comments or crits. Thanks for looking.

song_bird
06-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Oh, I love this! Like it just the way it is. And your birdie is precious!

tgsloth
06-28-2012, 07:23 AM
Fuhgeddiboudit! Get the Louvre on the phone. This one is perfect and fabulous. Love the Red/Green complementary color scheme. Take the weekend off!

lunchbox
06-28-2012, 07:57 AM
TG!, you made me laugh out loud, as well as you and song bird making my day. Thank you :o

crazywoman53
06-28-2012, 11:29 AM
I agree.. it's perfect.. don't change anything.. Love that green bird! :)

Andrewcody
06-28-2012, 08:27 PM
You captured the blush on the plums to perfection

Well done

Andrew

lunchbox
06-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Thank you CW and Andrew. Congratulations on Wilber, AC, know how hard it is to part with some paintings too.

Dana Design
06-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Absolutely beautiful! Well done!

ArtistMelinda
07-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Really really nice! But I am having difficulty identifying your light source - it seems all over lit. I would expect more shading inside the raspberry basket. In the classics, they also put a tiny highlight on the raspberries. But saying this only because you asked - it is a lovely piece.

Lucy12
07-04-2012, 05:14 PM
This is beautiful, what a lucky bird!

bocote
07-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Composition is a touch tight, but I'm okay with it.

You have some nice elements here, but I feel that the forms are not coherent. Melinda talked about lighting and I agree. The items that make up the composition go into symbolic representations rather than having a truthful meaning.

Its absolutely wonderful you found this relaxing. Its a fun painting and has good energy, but I would leave it as is and think about the next one.

have fun,

lunchbox
07-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Thanks Dana, ArtM, Lucy, and BC, I appreciate the comments. Here is another take truer to the actual colors, as I'm always fighting the glare of the whites when I try to take a photo :eek: Hmmmm... maybe add a speck of sparkle to the berries, will think about it, thanks again :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2012/116035-berries2.jpg

Andrewcody
07-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks LB, real triumph for you with this painting

Andrew

maryinasia
07-04-2012, 10:26 PM
love the composition

murphy60
07-07-2012, 05:33 PM
This is definitely one to be proud of.

Pinklady219
07-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Lunchbox, it is wonderful. I aspire to be as good one day. You must have a show and put this one in for sure.

lunchbox
07-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Thank you for the encouraging comments, AC, MaryI, M60, and Pinkie it has been accepted into a juried show so we'll see :)

Debzy
07-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Every best wish for the show, it is such a beautiful painting. I am sure you will have success! I love to see birds and animals in paintings, and I'm sure most people do. A wonderfully charming, warm and welcoming scene. Cheers. Debs. =))

eyecandy2
07-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Why do you waste your talents on an 8 x 10 board? This is beautiful.

E.Smet
07-08-2012, 07:20 AM
I really like the composition, do you mind sharing whether you had a reference or was this created from your imagination? It has such a feeling of paradise, well done!

lunchbox
07-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Thank you for your kind comments, ES, EC, and Deb. In this one, I was inspired by the works of Eloise Harriet Stannard. She came from a family of painters and her still-lifes were in a warm and colorful pallet which appeals to me. She often incorporated baskets, and various fruits, using roses or other flowers. The set up is much to her fashion, but the composition is mine. With most of my work, I place the basics in and then scumble/sketch/create as I go using my imagination.
As far as your comment EC...the reason is mostly cost :) because I like to choose the frames and have them backed before placing them into the galleries. But I will have to admit that to me, painting on smaller canvases is very relaxing, and additionally, most people can afford a smaller piece of art, which is then a win win for us both.

AllisonR
07-10-2012, 02:30 AM
It is charming and has wonderful colors.
I agree with this - The items that make up the composition go into symbolic representations rather than having a truthful meaning. - however, I almost see this as intentional, as the style of the artist.
I also agree about the light-shadows. They are confusing because I think your values are wrong. For example, light comes from the upper left, yet the shadow under the table is darkest at left, should be lighter there and darker on right. Raspberries in back of basket, and the basket itself above these specific berries should be darker....
As the painting is so charming I would leave it alone and think about your values for your next painting.

lunchbox
07-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Thank you Allison for your comments. Yes, these are symbolic. The raspberries represent regret while the blueberries mean optimism for the future. The Parus major, Great Tit, is known for his acrobatic skills. Everything was picked and fresh in the morning, but the morning glories represent the idea of only one day and the fact that the ending flower is beginning to wilt means time is ticking. Does he take what is directly in front of him, or with a little effort go to the other or will he chose both? He is considering not only his choices, but the timing :)