PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Thread 30th June - 5th July

Mo.
06-30-2003, 08:03 AM
Sorry folks I'm a bit late in getting this up, almost forgot.:eek:

Well last weeks thread was a bumper one, lots and lots of cracking pieces of work, and blue themes galore...... I'm no longer feeling blue, feeling quite bright and sunny. :)

Let's see if this week will be just as busy and if you need a theme, which I don't think you do, then especially for Dawn how about painting greens :evil:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The objective is to paint or sketch as many times as you like during the week, but within a given time limit, i.e:-

25-30 minutes, 40-45 minutes, and 60 minutes. Small sizes, 8x10, 9x12..or whatever size you feel is right for you.

Time yourself, using a timer or alarm clock and as soon as the timer goes off...stop, and post it here...

The main idea is to practice sketching quickly , you can always finish your piece later...

So come on in whether you are a newbie, a professional or somewhere in between... all are welcomed here, no critiques unless you specifically want them.

Here's the link to last weeks thread:-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115199

If there are newbies reading through this please take a look to see what great work can be achieved within the above time limits.

Have lotsa fun everyone.

Cheers,
Mo.

guilliame
06-30-2003, 05:44 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2003/6932-banister.gif

Thought i'd better do something for this weeks thread,so iv'e been working on this rough outline for an hour and now i have to stop and think where i am going with it,i haven't used many colours as yet but i think i will stay with the ones i'm using,the carving on the banister is pretty intricate and is a dark brown polished wood:eek: i can see it in my head but wether i can achieve what i want is another matter:D

Mo.
06-30-2003, 05:58 PM
Gosh Guilliame, that is some intricate work on the banister, this is out of your head too? Keep going at it, but watch the upright, it appears to be sloping slightly.i.e. the bottom part is not in line with the upper part. Do you see what I mean?

guilliame
07-01-2003, 11:26 AM
Hi Mo,thanks for pointing that out,ha after all this time and i still cant draw a straight line:D,i guess i was so wrapped up in the detail in the woodwork i didn't notice but i can see it now though,it's not all out of my head i have a ref pic its a sepia tinted photo and what i meant was that instead of a copy i had an impression in my mind how i wanted the painting to look:D .

E-J
07-02-2003, 08:08 AM
Have you finished this one yet, guilli?

I did a sketch last night but can't share yet because husband has taken the digital camera with him to record the sunshine, sangrķa, free ice creams and other perks of the conference he's attending in Barcelona! :p Will post at the end of the week.

Kathryn Wilson
07-02-2003, 08:29 AM
If you want to do something real quick, try velour paper - posted this in Weekly Riot - under 1 hour:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2003/14941-llama3.JPG

guilliame
07-02-2003, 02:06 PM
Hi Kyle,this is really:cool: i like it a lot it certainly pops off that paper:D

guilliame
07-02-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by E-J
Have you finished this one yet, guilli?

I did a sketch last night but can't share yet because husband has taken the digital camera with him to record the sunshine, sangrķa, free ice creams and other perks of the conference he's attending in Barcelona! :p Will post at the end of the week.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2003/6932-stair.gif

Not sure yet EJ,played around some,the picture behind her is not really there just added it in:D maybe want to work on the face some,also maybe darken the wood and try to highlight the carving on the banister post:)

flower
07-02-2003, 04:33 PM
Hi everyone,

Help, Help, Help, i seem to have lost my thread, how do i motivate myself to start painting again, i just look at my pastels and think yep i“ll start later and then i look again and think “ll start later, and i don“t seem to come to anything..........................is it summer....................is it the change of weather..............................or is it just me..........................?????????

flower
07-02-2003, 04:37 PM
p.s.

Great paintings Guilliame and kyle, lots of work gone into them

Kathryn Wilson
07-02-2003, 05:06 PM
Flower - take a look at this week's Riot - maybe the photos will inspire!

flower
07-02-2003, 05:12 PM
Hi Kyle,

They have inspired me i just have to find a way to copy them without the whole comments, maybe i should do it through the ref. lib. not sure, am so behind when it comes to using the comp........................lol

Kathryn Wilson
07-02-2003, 05:18 PM
Flower: Place your mouse inside the photo and right mouse click on the photo. In the menu it has a place for you to "save as" - then you open up a file on your computer wherever you want the photo to go. Mine is in a special folder called "ArtProjects."

Don't forget to save as a .jpg.

Email if this doesn't work -

Mo.
07-02-2003, 05:45 PM
Wow Kat.... that made me leap back from the screen.... it really jumps out at you... suoer stuff! :)

Guilly, that banister and girl is really looking great.. love the carvings an her fingernails! :)

Patricia... I have the same problem at the moment, but have been doing daily pencil doodles to keep flowing, it's working too, I'm getting the inspiration back again.

Keep posting folks.

Cheers,
Mo.

E-J
07-03-2003, 04:33 AM
Patricia, I'm another one who's struggling to find inspiration lately. Last night I decided to play around. Took an old unfinished watercolour I wasn't happy with and pastelled right over it ... It was fun to apply the colour to the texture of the w/colour paper, to try mixing/blending on that funny rough surface and to know I had nothing to lose by 'spoiling' a picture I hadn't liked much anyway. The results had what can perhaps best be described as a certain naïve charm :rolleyes: but hey, I had fun for a couple of hours :)

Mo.
07-03-2003, 06:25 PM
Bumping this to the top before it gets lost.:)

Inspiration is the :evil: with me right now.....been printing, typing writing and on the phone all day, so tonight before I get some shuteye, took out my sketch book and leafed through a magazine, this is a 10 minute quicky to get some sort of flow going... charcoal pencil, and OP's for the hat done in my ringbook sketch book. :) The hat had a blue pattern on it, shyed away from that :D

Serious work tomorrow. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2003/5154-redhat.jpg

flower
07-03-2003, 06:39 PM
Hi,

Thankyou Kyle it worked, i“ve been able to copy the pics ty so much,

Mo, fantastic, red is my colour, love red shoes, this hat would fit perfectly, i like this pic very much, COOL

dawn, i like messing around on my watercolours that didn“t turn out, here is one, went over the it with pastel, problem is the pic is a lot bigger than my scanner so i couldn“t get it all in, just a messing around with colour but i“m posting it..........LOL took me about 20 mins to do, its on watercolour paper, with schminke pastels

Kathryn Wilson
07-03-2003, 06:52 PM
Good, Flower! Please feel free to ask for my help anytime!

marilyn h
07-03-2003, 07:12 PM
Maybe I should read some of these threads. Sorry I didn't post my mini in the right section! Scimming sometimes gets you into trouble!

flower
07-03-2003, 07:36 PM
Hi Kyle,

Ty for your offer

E-J
07-04-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by flower
dawn, i like messing around on my watercolours that didn“t turn out, here is one, went over the it with pastel

hello Patricia, did you mean me rather than Dawn? :) I like the colours you've used in your flower.

The magazine idea's a good one for sketching practice/loosening up, Mo ~ might try it myself.

guilliame
07-04-2003, 06:33 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2003/6932-doodle.gif

Flower,like your flower:D

Mo,love the red hat nice doodle drawing too,i will have to remember the pose,pull the hat down over no eyes to draw:D

This one is just a 45min doodle,i have 3/4projects on the go need to get them finished but unfortunately my hay fever is playing up so i daren't work on them yet,have you ever sneezed all over a nearly finished pastel:D
Just got in from my art club meeting,1st friday every month,tonight was an appraisal of members work so submitted 2 pastels 1 was my grandson on the beach of which i have added footprints in the sand since it was posted and the other was Smudger's missus in the garden which i posted for the chelsea flower show,the critique was done by John Bowen apart from my grandsons head/ hat being a tad too big i got quite a good review
[i'm sure someone commented on that when i posted] now iv'e got to unframe it and rework it:)

Mo.
07-04-2003, 07:59 PM
Flower..lovely, lovely flower.:) Really.

E-J ... Yes mags are good inspiration sometimes for quickies. Hope your getting the flow now!

Guilly...yep makes things so much easier. LOL. commiserations with the hayfever too , I suffer with that too, such a misery:(

Great little painting you've done Guilly...is this someone you know?
So how did the appraisal go? Let us know.

Mo.:)

E-J
07-05-2003, 06:11 AM
I've got access to the digital camera again, so here are two from this week!

First one took 1hr [ish] from a black & white ref photo on a large sheet of sort of burgundy/brown Tints paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2003/13865-backview1.jpg

Second one is a view of Prague: pastel over an old abandoned watercolour from one of my photos. Not sure how long I spent on this one ~ with interruptions for cups of coffee and to watch tv, it was probably an hour and a half. Cheating :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2003/13865-prague2.jpg

E-J
07-06-2003, 01:07 PM
hey Mo ... been trying to PM you without success ... I've just realised it's because there is a sneaky little full stop in your name that I hadn't noticed before :rolleyes:

Would you like me to open the new Weekly?

flower
07-06-2003, 04:35 PM
Hi all, just got back again after being away since friday,

SORRY E-J it was your thread and a good idea it is too, my very first fruit bowl was on washed out watercolour paper LOL

Guilli good portrait in such a short time

E-J i spent some days in Prague, my uncle was british ambassador there and my hubby had business there so i went with him, before the communism stopped, i recognise the building right at the top, its beautiful in real life but i could see from your pic what it was, like the figure too

Mo and everyone who commented on my flower.........thankyou

Mo.
07-06-2003, 06:31 PM
Wow E-J love the bum. and the hand on hip pose:D:D You've done great with that one... do you go to life classes at all?

The second one of Prague is gorgeous, you should frame that one.

I just rushed into the forum remembering I hadn't put up the thread for this coming week.... senior moment I guess, great of you to offer E-J thankyou, as I'm here now I'll post it up, can't understand why my sneaky little fullstop should effect the PM.... just add me to your buddy list, that should cure it.

Dunno why I put it there in the first place, guess it's habit.

E-J
07-07-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Mo.
Wow E-J love the bum. and the hand on hip pose:D:D You've done great with that one... do you go to life classes at all?

The second one of Prague is gorgeous, you should frame that one.

Thanks, Patricia and Mo.

I went to some life classes in May/June ... one 2-hr class a week ... unfortunately I only managed about half of the 8-week course due to work, illness and generally being too tired :mad: When I wasn't so tired, though, I found it a very useful and challenging class.

The Prague one was supposed to be a gift for a friend, but as w/colour doesn't like me very much, it sat around unfinished for 2 & 1/2 years. I think the pastelled-over version is quite cute but not good enough to give to my friend ... maybe I'll mount it and see if that changes my mind at all.

Kathryn Wilson
07-07-2003, 08:39 AM
E.J. - I love the Prague scene - the colors just sing. Hope you get to liking it better after framing.

soap
07-07-2003, 08:44 AM
Love the Prague scene as well. Good job - nice warm colours.

guilliame
07-07-2003, 01:49 PM
EJ,the prague scene is super,brilliant,wonderful,it's just crying out to be framed maybe a double or even triple mount,get to it now:clap: :D

E-J
07-07-2003, 01:57 PM
You're a bit too kind, but thank you :)