PDA

View Full Version : jaguar....please CC

Artyfartyv
06-26-2012, 03:17 PM
9 x 6 oil on canvas board.

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj539/arty-farty1/jaguar.jpg

I recently went to Edinburgh zoo and loved seeing this jaguar sunbathing so had to take a snap and give painting it a go. never really attempted anything like this and found it quite a challenge getting the texture of the fur. all CC and advice is appreciated and would love to know if there is anything i could change or do differently next time. thanks!

smudged-blue
06-27-2012, 05:04 AM
I can't really offer advise on this medium as I'm not familiar with working in oils, I think you have a good range of values on your leopard and I like the colors you had selected. His muzzle looks a little square to me, but check it against your ref. Fur sure if difficult, as I myself am trying to figure fur out also, just in colored pencils though. How long have you been using oils? hopefully someone with more experience in this medium will offer some input soon. I also like the whiskers.

skappy
06-27-2012, 06:02 AM
Hi Artyfartyv nice job on the colour choice as you asked for C&C I think the things that can be changed are the eyes aren't att the right position and to close plus showing a bit the right cat cheek and adusting the chin I addded some fur on ttop of the head tooIt is difficult without the original picture I edited a bit your painting to illustrate what I'm trying to say your pict is on top and the edited below
I hope you do not mind

Robert:cat:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2012/157927-jaguarx.jpg

Artyfartyv
06-27-2012, 07:31 AM
I can't really offer advise on this medium as I'm not familiar with working in oils, I think you have a good range of values on your leopard and I like the colors you had selected. His muzzle looks a little square to me, but check it against your ref. Fur sure if difficult, as I myself am trying to figure fur out also, just in colored pencils though. How long have you been using oils? hopefully someone with more experience in this medium will offer some input soon. I also like the whiskers.

Checking the reference it does look a little square... Thanks for picking that up. This is only my second painting in oils, I have onlyused acrylics in the past so enjoying exploring this new medium! Thanks for taking the time to comment ! :)

Artyfartyv
06-27-2012, 07:32 AM
Hi Artyfartyv nice job on the colour choice as you asked for C&C I think the things that can be changed are the eyes aren't att the right position and to close plus showing a bit the right cat cheek and adusting the chin I addded some fur on ttop of the head tooIt is difficult without the original picture I edited a bit your painting to illustrate what I'm trying to say your pict is on top and the edited below
I hope you do not mind

Robert:cat:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2012/157927-jaguarx.jpg

Thats great what you did with the pics! Thank you :clap:
It looks much more proportionate than mine and I will definately be adjusting it :) Thanks for the advice !

KarenESP
06-27-2012, 10:20 AM
I think it turned out wonderful for your being new to big cats. I think the fur color is really good, although I think they have a white or lighter chest, but of course that can vary from animal to animal. I think your background is an excellent choice and really accentuates your subject. This cat has a lot of power and you conveyed that nicely in your piece. Great Work! The improvement in the eyes is dead on, pardon the pun :lol:

Artyfartyv
06-27-2012, 11:09 AM
I think it turned out wonderful for your being new to big cats. I think the fur color is really good, although I think they have a white or lighter chest, but of course that can vary from animal to animal. I think your background is an excellent choice and really accentuates your subject. This cat has a lot of power and you conveyed that nicely in your piece. Great Work! The improvement in the eyes is dead on, pardon the pun :lol:

Thanks for the comment :) There was a tree branch in the pic covering the chest area so I may of made that up out of my head !! :rolleyes: Woopsies. It's a subject ive always been a bit intimidated by but I would love to have another go at it again! The eyes definately need fixing! Thanks :wave:

smudged-blue
06-27-2012, 10:58 PM
It's a subject ive always been a bit intimidated by but I would love to have another go at it again!

I hope to you do give it another go, would like to see how you go. I believe oils would be a difficult medium. So well done on your second go at it.