PDA

View Full Version : Odd Man In

SandF
06-25-2012, 04:13 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-25-2012/140061_Wet_Canvas_-_Odd_Man_In.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Odd Man In
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 18 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
The onions went in the spaghetti and were great, the colander was my mother's.
Tried to make it look like home.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I appreciate any and all comments.

Andrewcody
06-26-2012, 01:31 AM
I think it is quite wonderful, well done SandF.
You have a very good hand with watercolour

Andrew

loft artist
06-26-2012, 03:08 AM
Excellent work , especially the light through the colander , a nice touch .

Loft

Debzy
06-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Yes I agree, you have captured the homely look you wanted! The colander is quite lovely and quaint isn't it! well done, the onions look great too. Nice colour scheme and top work on the light and shadows in my opinion. Cheers! Debs =))

CarlC
06-27-2012, 12:32 AM
Would it help the depth if you put a little shade under the onion in the colander? I like the idea of the light showing thru the holes in the colander. Great idea.

Aires
06-27-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm drawn to this still life, which is rather unusual for me. I have to commend your ability with watercolors, this is not a washed out look but those red onions look like the ones I would pick in a market, so vivid and luscious. Putting the onions in a colander so the light could shine through enhanced the composition. Very nice.

RetrospectiveGlance
06-30-2012, 01:41 AM
You have no dominant contrast in this painting. I would recomend darkening the back ground at the top. To eliminate the blandness of your background. Thus bringing a greater range of light versus darkness to this painting. Hope this helps:)

tgsloth
07-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Outstanding watercolor technique. Just to be a pain, I speak against the light coming through the seive holes. I couldn't read it for a while and then I figured it out. I note that others like it but we're all playing critic. I fear that a more casual observer will not get it and will be put off. It's certainly an unusual element in a painting. I'd rather the viewer got the chance to marvel over the way you've handled the forms and hues and not wonder what those white pieces of rice are. My main suggestion echoes RG. I even see it as, perhaps, a bigger problem. The surface bg, somehow looks like we're seeing it from directly overhead but the light and form of the seive ellipse show an oblique viewer angle. RG's gradiant fixes both issues.

Spyderbabe
07-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Some lovely onions but I'm stuck on the scale of things here. The two onions in the front look like they would not fit into the colander... is it a small colander?