Two copied images in OP

From a booklet by Paul Hardy:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2003/2034-BruggetjePHardy.jpg

And from a leaflet from a dutch gallery:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2003/2034-LznHMuster.jpg

Dick

Kathryn Wilson
06-29-2003, 05:28 PM
Wow, Dima, I like these alot. Can you share with us your working methods. OP's are such a new medium for lots of folks, it's fun to see/hear how these great paintings are being created.

:D

sundiver
06-29-2003, 07:03 PM
I like them both- very different moods, aren't they? Were the paintings you copied also in oil pastel?

Dyin
06-29-2003, 08:37 PM
yes, definately different moods....what did you learn doing them??? Did you try to recreate just what you saw to learn how they accomplished a certain effect? Were you happy with your results? Love hearing about the learning process and you do very interesting things...

Mikki Petersen
06-30-2003, 01:19 AM
WOW Dick, these are both so different from each other and the second one is so different from your past work with those shockingly vibrant colors. Did you enjoy using all those brights?

Artaholic
06-30-2003, 01:38 AM
Wow!! Lovely !!

Gerry

soap
06-30-2003, 01:46 PM
Yummie colours!! How did you find the exercise of copying? Do you feel like you've learned a lot?

Dark_Shades
06-30-2003, 02:21 PM
Scrumptious colours Dima......... beautiful

Dima
06-30-2003, 04:38 PM
Thanks for looking and commenting.

Both are on 24x32cm brown paper.

Kyle, no special working methods here, guess my method would be best described as push, rub and scratch it in.

Wendy, first one is after a soft pastel and the second one after an oilpainting by Hans Musters.

Dyin and Sophie, I am afraid I will categorically negate questions about having learned anything as I have grown totally allergic to such questions. Working with mentally handicapped people over twenty yrs now receiving training therein and having studied some pedagogy and pshychology I must have been asked that a few thousand times as a standard question.
But I will merrily answer any other or more specific questions if I can.

Dick

Mo.
06-30-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Dima
Thanks for looking and commenting.

Both are on 24x32cm brown paper.

Kyle, no special working methods here, guess my method would be best described as push, rub and scratch it in.

Wendy, first one is after a soft pastel and the second one after an oilpainting by Hans Musters.

Dyin and Sophie, I am afraid I will categorically negate questions about having learned anything as I have grown totally allergic to such questions. Working with mentally handicapped people over twenty yrs now receiving training therein and having studied some pedagogy and pshychology I must have been asked that a few thousand times as a standard question.
But I will merrily answer any other or more specific questions if I can.

Dick

You have my utmost admiration Dick doing what you do for over 20 yrs... .. you are obviously a very special kind of person.

Your paintings are great... do you blend with turps/white spirit or liquin at all or use a brush to paint with?

cheers,
Mo.

soap
07-01-2003, 12:10 AM
Dick....LOL....sorry.....I know what you mean.....did you expect me to ask next 'do you want to talk about it in the group?' Share your experiences......peace man.....:D :D

I asked this only because I recently did a copy of Vermeer's earring girl. I did it to find out how it would help me, or if it was just good fun. I had a little dialogue with some others about the uses and uselessness of copying the masters as I was seriously wondering about the use. So...hence my question....if you enjoy copying other's work... If it is just fun, or that there is some agenda. If done before, do you notice you take some of the 'master's' skills into your own paintings?
Well....that was just where my question came from......did not mean for you to come up with the results of your homework. LOL

Great paintings!

Dima
07-01-2003, 06:18 PM
Mo, no solvents or brushes, just the sticks and fingers.

Ah Sophie, see you're not quitte unfamiliar with the lingo.
You do not by any chance happen to ....?
I think it is allways usefull and one may allways learn from copying, especially in another medium than the original and especially from the masters.
And if you do were probarbly intrigued or fascinated by something like a lost line or that special reflection or what have you
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2003/2034-Meisjemetdeparelacr.jpg
This one BTW was done in acrylics.
And I will maintain that you will probarbly have learned the most if you pull it through and afterwards you haven't got a clue as to what you might have learned.

Dick