PDA

View Full Version : Girl At Beach

she1122
06-25-2012, 01:42 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-25-2012/94880_Girl_At_Beach_-_medium_size_-_revision_2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Girl At Beach
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 28 x 22
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I have had this piece in Structured Critique for a week and no one is home ! La was kind enough to tell me to modify the rocks and that helped a lot. I just need other eyes to tell me if any other corrections need to be made before I call this picture finished !

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything !!

she1122
06-25-2012, 04:46 PM
I forgot to include the reference photo !

loft artist
06-26-2012, 03:19 AM
The lady is painted smoothly but the landscape is a block type brush work slightly impressionist in feel , do you think the two styles should be together

Loft

she1122
06-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Loft Artist ,

Oh thanks for responding. I need other eyes !! You make a good point. I shall go to the girl and put in a few brushstrokes to more nearly match her to the rest of the strokes . I did take more care with her,hence the smoother look. But I see where I can make a few changes. Thanks !

tgsloth
06-26-2012, 05:47 PM
The trouble with structured critiques is poor traffic. Anyhow, I saw the same thing that loft artist did; there's a problematical conflict between the big rectangular strokes and the careful drafting of the figure. If you can suggest the figure with rough strokes, it could be a fix or you could moderate the rough strokes to match more how the figure is painted. But regardless of the "conflict" issue, I think the foreground (sand) is not at all working. The strokes don't show any depth but seem to rise up like a wall. I wonder if you could also depict where the water ends as is seen in the photo but in any case, I think you have to rethink the foreground first. And I should mention that this painting has great skill and coloration. It's really worth continued efforts to fix it.

she1122
06-26-2012, 11:17 PM
tgsloth,

Hmmm, you have caught something that escaped me. I need to think on this . Let me see what I come up with . Maybe some darker colors nearer the water? Thanks! I should have noticed this ! Darn it !

CarlC
06-27-2012, 12:28 AM
I'm thinking some shadows and reflections to make the rocks and sand look wet and to ground the girl to the rock. There seems to be a cat on the one rock that adds interest to the work because you do not see it immediately. As you change it, it would be interesting to see what you do.

she1122
06-27-2012, 01:53 AM
CarlC,

You are ahead of me. Tonight I sat down and tried to think. Thinking can be difficult at times ! LOL Anyway, I noticed that I had the rocks all perched at the very top of the beach. So I extended the beach just a bit to make the leading rocks look like they are part of the beach and not just at the top . Then I decided to extend/exaggerate some rock shadows so they come down toward the bottom of the painting. I used some burnt umber and some Dioxazine purple mixed with some white and some yellow to tone down the screaming purple and have blasted the area with these two colors ! Now I am going to wait until tomorrow to see what I think of it before I go back over some of it with my ochres and a bit of yellows . When I finish I will post the picture to see what the judgment is ! Oh, and the cat - a stab through the heart ! - is a French Bulldog !! Gasp ! Poor little thing ! LOL

she1122
06-27-2012, 01:55 AM
CarlC,

One last thing. How do you do a shadow on a black rock ? I have the girl as grounded as I know how to do .

crazywoman53
06-27-2012, 11:12 AM
I would suggest you not make your rocks black. If you look at the ref photo there are browns, greys, blues and greens in those rocks. Save the black/darker hues for the shadows.

loft artist
06-27-2012, 02:16 PM
as CW53 says you'll have to change the tonal structure of the rocks , seeing as you already have the shadows just try lightening them up a bit with the lighter colours as your painting acrylics thats the correct way to go about it , light on dark .

loft

she1122
06-28-2012, 01:05 AM
Ok, I can lighten up the rocks a bit . Thanks for taking an interest. I am painting right now to try and make the beach not look like a wall. I will post my revised picture probably on Thursday. YOu know how it is, make one change and end up repainting the whole area !! I am giving it my best shot !! See you tomorrow !

loft artist
06-28-2012, 01:32 PM
be looking forward to see the changes ... just enjoy your painting experience.

loft

she1122
06-29-2012, 12:03 AM
Ok, I have been obsessively working on this painting. Thank God for the forgiveness of acrylics or I would be knee deep in mud by now ! LOL I have done the best that I can at this point . I might decide to glaze down the beach a little. I am not certain if I have too many white spots in the sand. I am worried I did too many or did them too evenly across the entire beach. But that will be easy if I decide to take out a bit of the last white marks .

I tried to figure out how to get the beach to " lie down " and not look so much like a wall. So I took some purples and yellow ochre to give some shadow impression from the rocks. I moved the edge of the beach behind a couple of rocks. I darkened a few areas at the shoreline, hoping that would lower the edges a bit. It may not look like it,but I ended up repainting the entire beach to try to keep the colors related. OH, and the water at the shoreline got a bit repainted as it got messed up also. I did a slight bit of lightening the rocks ,but I wanted them for my darkest values so I did not do any major lightening.

This is the best I know how to do. If anything looks wonky still - I am open to suggestions but I need an idea or two as I am out of ideas ! Actually, I need to not look at this painting for a few days ! I am mentally swimming in pots of purple, ochre and naples yellow !

I just love you all taking the time to help me and push me to do more ! You are so great and I learn much from you !

Andrewcody
06-29-2012, 01:51 AM
I thought I had commented on this previously but....I hadn't..sorry about that.
I know there is a bit of a mixture of style here but I think it is quite lively, the rules are not set in concrete, and it is a liberal art form, and I quite like the ice cube effect

Andrew

she1122
06-29-2012, 02:16 AM
Thank you Andrew ! Style ? I like the broken brush stroke as when I look at things in nature, I see the many colors and shades. Nothing looks solid to me as in one color . I think my style is evolving rapidly at this point, hence a mixture. Who knows ? It just keeps happening ! I need to stop making some basic mistakes . I love the struggle though between painting and artist and vision !!

Andrewcody
06-29-2012, 02:36 AM
I agree with you She, and share that love for the broken colour technique
Check out my Wilbur, I painted the pig but broke the background up similar to yours, I find it very satisfying, and right.
:)

Andrew

she1122
06-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Andrew,

Your Wilbur is tres cute !! LOL When one can paint a pig well and win an award and sell it, one can paint anything ! LOL I see your strokes in the background . Yes ! I am still fooling around with the beach as I have gotten neurotic and it still is not what I want, although I don't know what I want until it becomes a Yes ! I have gone from admiring the Impressionists to admiring Stephen Quiller to viewing Arthur Maderson as my virtual guru ! Thank you for again taking the time to comment on my efforts !!

Andrewcody
06-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Be careful who you set up as a Guru

:)

Andrew