PDA

View Full Version : Monet's Garden

crazywoman53
06-24-2012, 06:03 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-24-2012/137465_Monets-Garden.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Monet's Garden
Year Created:
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 16 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Thanks to the person who submitted the reference photo of Give<br>y Gardens in the WC photo files. I see that there are 4 fingers of light green reflection now that I load it.. will change that. arg! The sky and blue water are a little stronger than they show. I played with the white balance and now my blues are a little too weak. Can't win! The yellows and the purple tree are a little brighter than they actually are. I am not trying to imulate Monet by any means.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Not sure about the willow tree in the left hand co<br>er.. is it convincing? Any comments are welcome to make this a better piece.

Debzy
06-25-2012, 06:40 AM
This is again beautiful Christine, I love it. I like the willow, but maybe there needs to be some variety in frond length. Perhaps a few longer ones would give it more credibility. I am looking for some warm colour somewhere in the water, but that is just an opinion. Perhaps gold, orange or pink lilies or some warm colour in the reflection? I do love itChristine, you just get better and better. Cheers. Debs. =))

leisure artist
06-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Lovely pastel painting....christine:)

Delmus Phelps
06-25-2012, 11:24 PM
this is just simply gorgeous! I am studying works by the impressionists and this very much reminds me of the genre. Stunning!
Only advice, repeat the red in the middle ground tree again in the foreground to give 3 instances of the color. I see it in the middle and a dash of it in a bush line near the water edge (this could be more pronounced). With a 3rd incident, it might give you the balance you seek.
Still a lovely work!

tgsloth
06-26-2012, 06:47 AM
Two inarow! What really impresses me is that you're working with a comparitively quiet scene and knocking it outa the park.

Spyderbabe
06-26-2012, 12:41 PM
A+++++++++

eyecandy2
06-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Christine, this is a keeper. The purples and greens go so beautifully together and the water is just fabulous. I could go on and on, but I won't. So much beauty with such simplicity.

sealart
06-26-2012, 07:43 PM
wow... *jaw drops*

crazywoman53
06-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Thank you all my kind friends. I posted this with Johannes and he immediately commented the shore line takes the eye right out of the painting and he is correct. Don't know how I missed that but apparently it slipped by all of you as well or at least you didn't comment on it if not. SOoooo I will take this one partially apart tomorrow and see what I can do to change that line. Man I hate it when that happens! Onward and upward.. as they say. :)

lunchbox
06-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Been such a pleasure to watch your art evolve - I'd say on your last two :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AllisonR
06-29-2012, 04:58 PM
I am loving all these colors. The shore line doesn't rake me out of the painting, there is too much color, tree variation and charm keeping me in! Just lovely. I also don't see any four fingers. I think you are being tough on yourself.

crazywoman53
07-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks Allison... I have to be tough on myself .. that's how I learn. I have reworked this and when I get power back so I can use my computer with all my software to crop etc I'll repost. It took my mind off the heat while the power has been out and no a/c. Still no power along with thousands of other people in Va Hanging in there though.. and thinking positive we'll get power back soon.

crazywoman53
07-02-2012, 09:00 PM
I finally got power back this evening! yea!!!!! Anyway.. here is the update.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2012/137465-Monets-Garden.jpg

song_bird
07-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Perfection!

docsaro
07-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Wonderful in one word....

Great colors...

Saravanan.

D.W. Flint
07-03-2012, 12:44 AM
This is one of your best....

Andrewcody
07-04-2012, 01:32 AM
Christine, I thought the original was lovely, you have improved on that, very appealing.

Andrew

crazywoman53
07-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks DW! and Andrew.. at least I know I am making some headway when you guys notice an improvement. That is what I am after in the end.

AllisonR
07-06-2012, 03:11 PM
How did you get the 2nd picture out of the 1st one? You totally redid the purple trees, background trees, added an inlet on the right… ! OMG.
Yes I like it very much. It has gone from a cool painting (nothing wrong with that) to a cool and hot combo painting. Nice punch.
I also now see the 4 fingers in the original and how you fixed them, lovely.

Now, if you want to be hard on yourself, here are my crits:
I really like the red punch you have adde to the middle left. However, I wonder if it is a tad too much?
The willow and flowers under it on the back right do not work yet, imo. The willow is just a bunch of vertical lines, all the same length and 3 colors. I would make it more ragged and softer. The flowers under it are too tight, and the bottom of them makes a hard bowl shape. Again, I would make more ragged and soften overall with a light layer of blue to help convey that it is in the distance. Picky stuff, but you asked!
Lovely painting.

crazywoman53
07-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Allison.. thanks very much for your honest critique. I just brushed out that purple tree and added the background water in it's place. That purple tree just wasn't working. I totally agree with you on the right side background willow and the flowers under it. That spot has been bugging me and I did work on it some and feel it is better now. So glad you saw it too. The red on the left is photographing way brighter than it is. The original is quite subdued and I will leave that alone. I agree in the photo it is too bright. I haven't figured out how to get reds in photos from going nuts on me.

murphy60
07-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Very nice!!!

Pinklady219
07-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Very nice Crazy. If Monet had a garden, this one would be perfect. He would approve also. Ouuuu just lovely.

E.Smet
07-08-2012, 07:31 AM
I really liked the first pic and didn't see how you could improve it but I have to admit the 2nd one is even better again! Totally stunning!

Debzy
07-09-2012, 09:40 AM
It's an absolute cracker!!!! Smashing Christine, you really are a very clever little vegemite! I love it even more than I did before. =)) Cheers. Debs.

Katie Black
07-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Hi, Just wanted to say the first pic was almost perfect, but the second is not quite as good in my honest opinion, I think you have slightly overdone it..sorry if that sounds a bit blunt.

crazywoman53
07-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Thanks Murphy60, Pinklady, ESmet and Debzy. You are all so kind.
Katie.. everyone has a right to their own opinion. :)

arnieb
07-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Wow - love the intensity of the colours and reflections/feeling in the water. Arnie

Wahsuzy
07-11-2012, 07:19 PM
It is so beautiful!!!!

greensyster
07-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Its a GO!!!! :D

crazywoman53
07-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks for commenting Arnie, Wahsuzy and Marie!