PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Riot - 6/29-7/6/03

Kathryn Wilson
06-28-2003, 07:45 PM
The Pastel Riot is a weekly challenge to create a painting from one of several reference photos provided. There is no time limit, and no particular skill level expected. The point is to compare the different ways we each approach the same subject, and to have fun!

The first person to post a painting each week wins the opportunity to host the Riot for the next week.

a photo taken locally by DH -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2003/14941-fence.jpg

a photo by ROSIC out of the reference library for all our portraitists -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2003/14941-johnnyreb.jpg

a photo by GEOFF-UK from the reference library -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2003/14941-cottage.jpg

a photo from my reference library (taken by DH) -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2003/14941-lacecap.jpg

a photo by CRIAS from the reference library - he is sooo cute!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2003/14941-llama.jpg

I hope I have picked enough photos to give inspiration! If there is anything else you are interested in, I can find you something!

Now go paint!!! :D

Mo.
06-28-2003, 08:18 PM
Whoohoo Kat... lots of pics here to tempt us... super choice.... recognise those lacey Hydrangea's too :)... mine are just in bud...won't be long before they flower.:).

Have a go everyone!

cheers,
Mo.

Kathryn Wilson
06-28-2003, 10:12 PM
Bumpety, bump, bump, bump

bnoonan
06-28-2003, 11:01 PM
Nice selection - perhaps I'll even join in this time.

Barb

Mikki Petersen
06-29-2003, 03:42 AM
Oooooohhhhhhhh...what a great selection of photos this week and I wiil not be able to join in due to the move. I may just come back to this next week and give at least one of them a shot. Geat picks!

angeline
06-29-2003, 03:43 AM
I love that little cottage..............might just have to come back to this when i get back for my hols.

Dark_Shades
06-29-2003, 05:07 AM
Great choices Kat......... I like them all ........ beautiful sunny day here...... so perhaps I might use that horrible Canson :p :D ...... sketch it in here....... and then take it outside.... will that count as Plain Air :D

Kathryn Wilson
06-29-2003, 08:51 AM
Hi All - since so many people are going to be gone, or real busy, maybe we could/should keep this open for more than a week??

It's up to you - I am going to be around for the summer, so I can moderate this Riot for as long as people want this to stay open.

:D

Dark_Shades
06-29-2003, 10:03 AM
Ive more or less finished one already Kat :D

...... Pehaps we should just drop the title Weekly..... give it a number for how many times its been done.......

Pastel Riot... eg ...12 ........ or how many weeks its been going now

Kathryn Wilson
06-29-2003, 10:39 AM
D-S: Got a peek at it in another thread! So far, so good! Are you waiting for someone else to post?

I wonder that the title Weekly Riot doesn't put undue pressure to get something done in a week, when in that week so much else is going on. Will have to visit this when everyone gets back from vacation, me thinks.

You are so fast - I'm still pondering on which one to do - LOL

Dark_Shades
06-29-2003, 10:40 AM
Ok ready or not ....... here it comes ........ :D

..... found some art spectrum I had started a work on, wasnt going anywere, so brushed it off

.... Ive now got to a point with this, Im just fiddling with it ..... so will call it done lol........

Ok.... Im going back outside for some more plain air :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2003/12116-Soldier.jpg

.... perhaps I will fix the eyes, and the elipse, when it calls back down ....... byzzzzzzeee bye

Dark_Shades
06-29-2003, 10:47 AM
we posted at the same time Kat :)

.... when this was all started not so much going on in the forums, and ..... summer now here..... people are away ....... think People mis constrew the idea of this thread..... the date and week really only refers to that...... the week and date..... not that its got to be done in THIS week ....... so I personally think the weekly/date could be dropped

.... there is nothing to stop anyone from going back over the weeks and posting to them........ it would be nice to see old ones pop back up again

.... perhaps I will go back and find how many there have been and the links

guilliame
06-29-2003, 03:51 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2003/6932-soldier.gif

Kyle,nice pics,couldn't resist soldier blue,it was a good movie too:) trouble is i used a scrap of paper lying around which really wasn't big enough,so might try again later on a larger sheet if i do it bigger maybe i'll get the likeness:D.

DS nice i like the hat and i can see the likeness there i think the eyes are good,you can fix mine if you like:D

Dark_Shades
06-29-2003, 04:03 PM
lolol Guilly..... .Ohhhhhh I like the inside of your Mug :D

Soldier Blue......... is one of my favourite films........ watched it the other week :)

Written and Sung by Buffy St. Marie

:music:

I look out and I see a land
Young and lovely hard and strong
For 50,000 years we've danced her praises
Prayed our thanks and we've just begun
Yes, yes

This this is my country
Young and growing
free and flowing sea to sea
Yes this is my country
Ripe and bearing miracles
in every pond and tree

Her spirit walks the high country
giving free wild samples
and setting an example how to give
Yes this is my countrry
Retching and turning
She's like a baby learning how to live.

I can stand upon a hill at dawn
look all around me
Feel her surround me
Soldier Blue
Can't you see her life has just begun
It's beating inside us
Telling us she's here to guide us.

Ooo
Soldier Blue, Soldier Blue
Can't you see that there's another way to love her

Yes this is my country
I sprang from her and I'm
learning how to count upon her
Tall trees and the corn is high country
Yes I love her and I'm
learning how to take care of her

When the news stories get me down
I take a drink of freedom to think of
North America from toe to crown
It's never long before
I know just why I belong here

Soldier Blue, Soldier Blue
Can't you see that there's another way to love her.
:music:

Kathryn Wilson
06-29-2003, 04:31 PM
Oh, my gosh, D_S is singing - that's a good sign!!

Guilliame: You guys are so brave in trying this civil war soldier. He is in my "favorites" file and will try him when I get brave.

I have to fess up - I have been doing an acrylic painting this past week and should finish up soon. I wanted to wait until I got a dust mask - the last painting I did in pastel (hydranga) I could feel the dust in my lungs for two days. Got a mask today at Jerry'sArtarama, so will be joining in this week.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Dark_Shades
06-29-2003, 04:37 PM
I love that song Kat ..... :D ...... luckily I just sing in my head ha ha ha....... Im really good too :)

acrylic!! ....... acrylic!!! ........ :eek: ............... go immediately....... to the naughty corner!! ;) :D :evil:

..... glad you got a dust mask......

Kathryn Wilson
06-29-2003, 06:32 PM
Slinking off to the corner, with lower lip trembling . . .

Let's see, what did I get at Jerry's today - Caran d'ache Neocolor II's - 4 sticks - just to try. It was $80.00 for a set - Yikes!!

Going to try Liquitex's Black Fine grit on some boards that I have and see how that works.

And, of course, the dust mask.

:o

kas74
06-29-2003, 11:04 PM
Well, its my first time in here, but I couldn't pass up those flowers. This is mostly Rembrandt and a couple Schminke and Unison pastels, 18x24...something to kill a Sunday afternoon :)
kim

Kathryn Wilson
06-29-2003, 11:32 PM
kas74 : Welcome kim! This is a stunner, and one of my favorite subjects. Glad you did this one - DH took the photo and was hoping someone other than me would paint it!

Hope to see more of you in this Forum - we love new folks!

Mikki Petersen
06-30-2003, 12:51 AM
Dawn, Your Soldier Blue has all your hallmark traits. I swear I would know your paintings without your signature. Just lovely, great likeness and beautiful soft background. Remember when you wouldn't do bg's? Now you do them so beautifully!

Guilly, your Soldier Blue is also excellent. This is what I most love about the Riot...getting to see different interpretations of the same subject. Both your and Dawn's paintings are beautiful and so very different. Hers is so soft with delicate light plays and your's is more highly contrasted and the look on the soldier's face is one of startlement, as though he just heard a branch crack. I also agree with Dawn that you did a gorgeous job on the tin cup.

As for leaving the Riots open longer, I think it's a great idea! Why not just post a new Riot when someone has some great new pics to post so long as it's been AT LEAST a week since the last post?

Dark_Shades
06-30-2003, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by kas74
Well, its my first time in here, but I couldn't pass up those flowers. This is mostly Rembrandt and a couple Schminke and Unison pastels, 18x24...something to kill a Sunday afternoon :)
kim

Yikes, funny isnt it for someone so new in here, and I dont like them already ;) :D ... (only joking)..... hee hee, I cant do 'GREENS'....... and you have done such a remarkable job..... excellent....... the whole painting is wonderful..... well done to you, hope to see more of your work now you have tested the water

great work....... well done :clap:

Dark_Shades
06-30-2003, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by 1mpete
Dawn, Your Soldier Blue has all your hallmark traits. I swear I would know your paintings without your signature. Just lovely, great likeness and beautiful soft background. Remember when you wouldn't do bg's? Now you do them so beautifully!

Guilly, your Soldier Blue is also excellent. This is what I most love about the Riot...getting to see different interpretations of the same subject. Both your and Dawn's paintings are beautiful and so very different. Hers is so soft with delicate light plays and your's is more highly contrasted and the look on the soldier's face is one of startlement, as though he just heard a branch crack. I also agree with Dawn that you did a gorgeous job on the tin cup.

As for leaving the Riots open longer, I think it's a great idea! Why not just post a new Riot when someone has some great new pics to post so long as it's been AT LEAST a week since the last post?

Really Mikki :eek: ..... Oooooooh lol ......... yes I remember about bg's hee hee...... somehow the penny seems to have dropped lol, added with the art spectrum, seems so easy

Guilly........ how did you do the inner cup?

Mikki Petersen
06-30-2003, 05:35 AM
kim

Boy, this really knocks me out! Really a great effort for a Sunday afternoon. Welcome here, and I can't wait to see more from you.

Smudger
06-30-2003, 06:52 AM
kim

Welcome and well done... this is beautiful:clap:

sundiver
06-30-2003, 09:38 AM
Good on the portraits, Dawn and Guillaime, and Kim, the flower is just beautiful!
I've had my eye on the fence and vines, but don't know if I'll manage, as we're packing to go to the cottage today.

Kathryn Wilson
06-30-2003, 10:16 AM
Sundiver - this photo will be available anytime - we've been discussing changing the name of the Riot so if people want to use the photos at another time, they can.

Have a great time at the cottage!

bnoonan
06-30-2003, 10:36 AM
Nicely done Kim - I have to agree with Dawn that you really have mastered the use of greens in your work. Love the detailed strokes on the single blossoms and how you cropped the image.

Great work for a Sunday afternoon.

Guilli - wonderful work on our soldier friend. Very pleased to see you work those darker shadows to create form and shape. Beautiful.

My only question... do we have to listen to Dawn Sing all the time???:evil: :angel:

Barb

kas74
06-30-2003, 11:19 AM
Wow! Thanks everybody for the warm welcome and the wonderful compliments!

kim

Kathryn Wilson
06-30-2003, 11:27 AM
You're welcome Kaz! Please feel free to try any of the other photos - you're not limited to just one.

Not sure if you noticed, but there are also bigger projects posted for pastels under the Projects tab up at the time of this page. You sign up for a project, post your WIP, and then post a final entry. You can view what has been done before, and of course, there are Projects in the other mediums too.

guilliame
06-30-2003, 12:45 PM
Welcome to wc, Kim, i like your painting the cluster in the middle made it for me:clap: did you use a dark paper,well hope we see some more from you:D

Impete,Sundiver,Barb and DS,thanks everyone for your comments on my soldier it was a bit scary for me at first i thought the contrasts were a bit O.T.T:D

DS you must have edited your post coz i didn't see the song lyrics first time around,when i did he he i had to double check to make sure my speakers were off lol:D as for the tin cup i filled in the area with light grey and then with small pieces of light blues and greens used the sides to drag down over one another then some dark grey and brown and finally a touch of white`,usually but not always with various scraps of paper lying around i will experiment with different colours either with the sides or the points and make vertical horizontal diagonal strokes on top of one another to check the effect and colour it gives me:D

kas74
06-30-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by guilliame
Welcome to wc, Kim, i like your painting the cluster in the middle made it for me:clap: did you use a dark paper,well hope we see some more from you:D

Thanks, Guilliame! I did this on dark green canson, I think that's probably why my greens came out ok. I hardly ever do pastels on white paper anymore because it takes so long to cover up the white!

Your soldier is great! I love how you made the inside of the cup look so shiny!

kim

Dark_Shades
06-30-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by bnoonan

My only question... do we have to listen to Dawn Sing all the time???:evil: :angel:

Barb

YES!!! :D :evil:
...... but only if you are inside my head

bnoonan
06-30-2003, 04:40 PM
Dawn - if that's anything like Being John Malkovich - I'm runing fast.... :evil: :angel:

Dark_Shades
06-30-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by bnoonan
Dawn - if that's anything like Being John Malkovich - I'm runing fast.... :evil: :angel:

Im running fast behind you lol........ THAT guy is soooooo weird :D :evil:

bnoonan
06-30-2003, 05:01 PM
But didn't you just love the part where he is on the 7 1/2 floor and then when you get spit out onto the New Jersey Turnpike? It's brilliant and daft all at the same time. Reminds me of someone else I know.........

Dark_Shades
06-30-2003, 05:05 PM
hmmmmmmm quickly changing the subject..... :p lolol

I altered the eye ...... looks better...... decided not to alter the mug......... as being authentic hee hee..... it would of been all battered :D

waiting art supplies to do more........ refuse to use Canson :p ..... Ive been spoilt lolol

bnoonan
06-30-2003, 05:14 PM
agree about canson - it's good for the sketches but not much else - though isn't it amazing what we were able to achieve on just that paper.

I know Daniel Greene uses Canson and when you have accurate painting skills - it's probably better.

Ok - off to get some more stuff done so I don't keep bugging you guys with useless information.

B

Dark_Shades
06-30-2003, 05:17 PM
dont know who Daniel Green is....... all I know was thrilled to use Canson after using Ingres...... but now just LOVE all the textured papers...... so quick and easy to use........ just find Canson HARD work in comparison.......

yeah bog off lol ;) :evil: :D ....... find someone else to torment ha ha ha

Mo.
06-30-2003, 05:31 PM
Had a feeling you'd do the Johhny Red Dawn.... good 'un too., and Guilliame's both super.......Guilliame's version reminds me a little of Van Gogh's self portrait.

Kim another welcome for you, love those flowers you painted, they are beautiful, hope you'll post some more for us soon.

Dark_Shades
06-30-2003, 05:36 PM
lol Mo........ is it Johnny Red or Johhny Reb???
....... actually I was going to do the house....... and liked the fence and flower too ...... but wanted to do another skin on art spectrum..... and loved the colours in the mug

obviously Guilly's guy is a new recruit....he's is all nice and shiny ha ha ha .....

Ohhhhh so JohnnyRed's A Rebel ........

Mo.
06-30-2003, 06:03 PM
It's this keyboard it needs to go to school.:D :D

Nowt stopping you doing the cottage too is there?

Kathryn Wilson
07-01-2003, 09:25 PM
Wow - this was fun and scary at the same time. Had a piece of burgundy velour paper and decided I couldn't resist -

I see things now that I wish I hadn't done, but on this paper and the color background there is no going back. One shot is all you get -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2003/14941-llama3.JPG

If you think Art Spectrum is yummy, this stuff is so kewl to work on.

bnoonan
07-02-2003, 11:45 AM
Kat - I truly think this is the best possible medium for this piece. You have truly captured the matted hair on this gem and created some wonderful textures.

Now you have me thinking I need to try some more papers.

Barb

flower
07-02-2003, 05:06 PM
Hi everyone,

Wow there are some brill pics here,
love the soldier blue pics,

Kyle what a dream pastel, it looks real lifelike
Welcome Kas 74, love your flowers and those leaves, grrrrrrh wish i could get mine to look like that.......................lol

Mo.
07-02-2003, 05:59 PM
Kat... saw this in the Weekly Pastel thread..... I nearly jumped off the chair when it popped onto the screen it's so alive!!!!

Terrrific work!

Patricia, just have a go...you'll be fine.:)

Mo.

Mo.
07-07-2003, 09:36 AM
Bumping this up to the top..... we need a volunteer to start another Riot.:D

Any offers anyone?

cheers,
Mo.