PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Bend.-

AntonioBernal
06-24-2012, 10:47 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-24-2012/1056932_Dangerous_Bend.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Dangerous Bend.-
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 16 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
In this one I tried something different, darker, and rainy! It was a bit of a challenge to go out of my confort zone and achieve a dark atmosphere but not too dark so that the composition is still readable. I also wanted to focus in the contrast of the dark environment vs the headlights and the bright bend sign.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Do you think the rainy and windy atmosphere is achieved? Any comments and critique welcome.

tgsloth
06-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Simply fascinating; wonderfully creative. My only suggestion is that the treatment of trees and sky is monotonous from left to right. Could you work some variations of hue, contrast and form in there?

Coen1
06-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Another strong work from your hand, Antonio! Again you succeeded in getting the atmosphere you pursued. I should say you're still in your comfortzone! Light-dark work well, the lines also do. The contrast you reached, is quite amazing to me, since you paint with watercolour. The danger of the situation is underlined by the dominating presence of the bendsign in this (Dutch?) weather. Maybe tgsloth is right about the trees, you could enliven them a bit by using more colour, although I understand that you want to keep them darkcoloured.

AntonioBernal
06-25-2012, 07:42 AM
Thanks, tg and Coen for commenting.

@ tgsloth Great point you made there re the trees and sky. As I said, I was a bit out of my comfort zone, as I'm not used to dealing with so many dark colors, I struggled to keep them dark, yet still interesting (actually for most of the time I was working on this I kept thinking it wouldn't work!), and had the impression that a variety of hues in the trees would indicate a stronger source of light which would defeat the idea of the dark environment. I can see how I could lighten up the lower part of the trees to make them more interesting. I will play around with that idea and see if I like it.

@ Coen, that bendsign (that word makes sense to me too, so don't worry) was meant to be the main subject and focal point on the composition, so I'm glad you found it dominating. Thanks for your kind words.

Antonio

Andrewcody
06-26-2012, 01:38 AM
The reflected HELP on the roadway, nice accident :)

Personally I think the trees and sky are ok, I don't think they are monotonous, the vary in height and thickness and have life, bending with the wind and rain.

Besides it is a long drive in the nights, a rainy stormy night...the scenery would tend to be the same ... and to break the monotony the car is sliding out of control into a sharp corner.

Nothing is going to be the same after tonight.........

Andrew

AntonioBernal
06-26-2012, 04:03 AM
:O Andrew, I swear that HELP reflected on the road wasn't done on purpose, I hadn't even noticed it! Now I can see it so clear...spooky isn't it?

Yeah you are right the trees do have different sizes but tgsloth is right in that they are monotonous colorwise. I have time today to try something about it...

I love your dramatic interpretation :)

Antonio