PDA

View Full Version : computers and contemporary art

nickystudent
01-09-2001, 04:43 PM
hi everyone! i'm looking for ideas and direction for an essay about the impact of computers on contemporary art. what areas of art is technology being used to create totally new kinds of art, or being used in enhancing art forms that we're already familiar?? the 1st idea i had was in cinema, and how technology has been used to create the kind of images we see in films such as 'the Matrix' or 'Jurassic Park' or in amimation like 'Toy Story'. These examples are fairly obvious so i'd really like to explore something a bit different! nevertheless, any ideas or information would be much appreciated!my e-mail is [email protected] Thanks for your help!<FONT face="Tahoma">Text</FONT f>

digistyle
01-09-2001, 08:24 PM
Nicky,

After movies, the first thing that comes to my mind is comic book art. Much of the current art in comics is computer enhanced. This has changed the type of paper that the magazines are printed on, how the art is colored and even the range of colors that are used.

Just a thought, hope it helps.

Digistyle

nickystudent
01-09-2001, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by digistyle:
Nicky,

After movies, the first thing that comes to my mind is comic book art. Much of the current art in comics is computer enhanced. This has changed the type of paper that the magazines are printed on, how the art is colored and even the range of colors that are used.

Just a thought, hope it helps.

Digistyle

<FONT face="Georgia">thanks for your help Digistyle! Comic books are a medium i wouldn't have even thought of! cheers once again.</FONT f>

eyeburp
01-11-2001, 11:36 AM
There are more and more painters popping up that use computers. Some project digital images onto canvas that they trace. Another painter, Elliot Greene (Modern Painters magazine, Autumn 2000) makes some kind of "digital flip-books" in Photoshop that are animated and reveals some spark of inspiration to him. I'd love to see one of them!

maryse
01-11-2001, 08:29 PM
Hi,
you might wanna check out the work of a Dutch artist called mischa klein. He's discarded the brush and paint and only uses the computer to create his 'paintings'. He is also a vj(video jockey) In clubs here in amsterdam. His site is in english (some of the articles are not) so, maybe it's helpfull?
oh yeah, here's the adress:http://195.108.219.236/

greetz, Maryse

Dudi
01-23-2001, 09:25 PM
Comics and animation have been greatly influenced by digital art. Most animated titles, including Disney and anime stuff, have a number of computer-painted cels, and some movies also make use of 3D models. Lots of comic books today are colored in photoshop after being inked on paper as Digistyle mentioned.

A whole lot of comic bookish/cartoonish illustrations today with those solid colors are done on computers - it's easy, fast, and effective for printing.

Also, lots of companies use digital art tools to design and engineer their products.

There are tons of uses for digital art today. It's certainly played a heavy role on our culture.