PDA

View Full Version : framing - and framing app

jackiesimmonds
06-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Would love to know what you think. I started playing with the framing app on this website - it's great - you should all try it:

http://www.eframe.co.uk/content/html/viewmamount.asp?ref=L0&widescreen=yes&ids=S0&withframe=no&md=start

and now I am totally confused, and not sure what to think about framing...I want a modern look. So, if you don't mind voting for these by number, it would be really interesting to see what you all think. If you were the buyer, which would be your choice? or would you do something else all together?
My instinct says No.6 but that is what I have usually done before. I also like the ones with no mat.....oh good grief. Too much choice.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2012/1805-sky_pic_with_reverse_silver.jpg 2.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2012/1805-sky_pic_in_dark_wood.jpg 3.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2012/1805-sky_with_wide_white.jpg 4. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2012/1805-sky_with_silver_frame,_wide_mount.jpg
5. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2012/1805-sky_with_wide_mount,_white_frame.jpg 6.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2012/1805-sky_with_wide_mount,_wide_pewter_frame.jpg

Davkin
06-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Personally I'm not a big fan of light colored frames. Walls tend to be light colored and I think a light colored frame does not isolate the painting from the environment if the wall is light colored as well so my vote would be for #2, with #1 being my second choice.

David

barriespapa
06-22-2012, 11:46 AM
I have to agree with David I favour #2 the painting appears brighter to me in that frame. Love the painting by the BTW.
David

jackiesimmonds
06-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Thanks, David and David.

I visited my pic framer today.........now am even more confused. His wife and two daughters sold LOADS recently at their open studio event, and almost all of them had white frames.

All the ones with the dark frames "stuck".

?????

Davkin
06-22-2012, 01:43 PM
White walls are common in the US, is that not the case in the UK? I could only see using a white frame if my wall isn't white.

David

norskgal
06-22-2012, 01:48 PM
I vote for #1. It is sleek and modern and pops the painting. The larger mats seem to dimish the art work. IMHO.

norskgal
06-22-2012, 01:49 PM
And thank you very much for the link to the digital framing site!

crazywoman53
06-22-2012, 01:54 PM
What size is the painting? Sometimes if a painting is very small it needs a hefty frame to give it that extra ompf. Going modern... I like #4 and #6.

Ruthie57
06-22-2012, 02:45 PM
White or off white frames are the thing in the UK at the mo. So is framing pastels without a mount (mat). I really don't like no2. To me it dominates the painting and does nothing to enhance it. I think my favourite is, actually, no 5 though I also like 6. The wide mount would be more appropriate for a smaller painting I think so, if this is big, save a bit of money on framing by reducing the size of the mount!

jackiesimmonds
06-22-2012, 03:00 PM
It is a fairly small pic for me...about 9" square. Which is why I went for the wide mount. Yes white walls are to be found in the UK David, or off-white,or soft colours like almond, magnolia, jasmine, pale cappuccino, pale hessian, with perhaps one feature wall in a darker tone from the same family of colours.

In fact it is hard to see but No.5 is kinda like a box frame, white, probably needs either a mount with a touch of colour to see it properly or a coloured wall behind. My framer's daughters used something of this sort, and sold virtually all of them! Ruthie I think you are right about whites and off whites being popular here in the UK at the moment. and of course pictures on box canvasses with no frame at all.

LRene
06-22-2012, 03:08 PM
I like 1 and 2 equally. In the area that I live the darker frames are more popular. #1 seems new and fresh to me. I also prefer the no mat look.

Colorix
06-22-2012, 08:18 PM
I too like 1 and 2 (but 2 feels too warm for that particular painting). White frames are all the rave in Sweden too. White and dead black. It is the current fashion.

Fashion is more important to people than the frame that will make the painting look the best, unfortunately. And white isn't all that bad, especially if the wall is white, then the painting will really shine. A dark frame on a white wall will give you a very visible frame, and yes, right, there' s a painting innit too, wow... ;-) And I really like dark frames, they make the paintings shine... Oh, well, fashion...

Davkin
06-22-2012, 08:45 PM
I actually do really like the flat black frames Charlie! If I was forced to go for a contemporary look that's the way I'd go. A painting I currently have in a local show as a flat black frame.

David

troublecoco
06-22-2012, 09:04 PM
my first try at doing anything on WC I'm 82 and this is unbelievable!!
Beautiful !!I also like 6 troublecoco

allydoodle
06-22-2012, 11:29 PM
I like #2, but dark frames are popular here right now. I have to say that I do like the "style" of #2, I'm wondering how it would look with a lighter color? The look is modern, maybe just lightening the color would be nice. That touch of gold finishes off the painting nicely, and I would think with a white frame it could be just right. I also like #6.

When I look at #3 I don't see the frame at all, it just blends into the white background of the computer screen. I'm thinking it would look like that on the wall too, sort of weird.

You do have to think about what is popular in your "neck of the woods". If white is what people like and want, then that's probably what you should do.

jackiesimmonds
06-24-2012, 02:26 AM
White does seem to be popular here. I am leaning, however, to a washed white on wood. I have used something similar in the past - so back to basics I guess, but will also try one or two in the silver or pewter without a mat for a new look.

Looks, from the mini survey above, that there is no clear winner!

sealart
06-24-2012, 04:41 AM
I love No 2

Mary_Anne
06-24-2012, 10:17 AM
My 2 cents:

I don't like #2 at all, it steals from the painting, IMHO. Too wide in any case.

I would like a mat, but all white, 2 1/2" or so, and slightly wider at the bottom. And no darker, or coloured, underliner or filet (in my experience these get "tired" over time - or I get tired of them ;-))

Then a thin (1/2"-3/4") wood frame either in a flat black, or some colour approaching white or grey (or silver). Or the box-frame look of #5, but with a darker frame (not gloss white)

I like your idea of a white-washed wood - as long as it doesn't end up looking "rustic".

I'm really a fan of doing what looks right on the painting. Then the painting will "fit" in any decor, unless you are in a situation where you want a bunch of different pictures framed all the same. Framing for the decor is just asking for trouble, IMHO.

And thanks for the framing app, Jackie, that will be useful!

Mary Anne

Seaspray
06-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Well, I like #2...I think it makes the sky look more intense.

I agree with Chris, in this area of the east coast we are seeing more dark, wide wooden frames without mats.
Carol

Graphica
06-24-2012, 03:22 PM
FWIW, I don't like number 2 at all.

I have a strong preference for the ones with the metallic frames. Even if the wall is light, the finish on the frame will always make it stand out from the wall. Also, there's something about metal that makes things more precious (to me); makes me think of a much more modern take on gold leaf.

Unless the painting is very large (and this one isn't), I feel like it should have a mat (or two). Although, I've seen decorating magazines recently where the decorator deliberately put a small painting in a small frame with no mat, then stuck it in the middle of a large, otherwise unadorned wall so that the painting was floating, lonely, in a sea of painted wall. Supposedly makes the image more intimate and encourages one to get really close and look. I dunno.

jackiesimmonds
06-25-2012, 05:07 AM
LOL! See what I mean? It is SO hard to decide, when opinions are SO divided.

Think I will have to just cross my fingers and hope I chose well, once I get around to choosing!

Deborah Secor
06-25-2012, 09:59 PM
The worst sales I ever experienced, Jackie, were when I went against the "trends" and framed the way I wanted the paintings to look! (Back then I wanted dark wood frames, and no one could sell them.) I'd take style into account. This is a marketing package!

jackiesimmonds
06-26-2012, 03:38 AM
Thanks Deborah, I always value your advice. I agree, I think one ignores the present day trends at one's own risk.

I intend to work with either white or silver. Dark wood frames don't seem to be in favour right now. I think it might be because mainly the younger generation are buying, and they favour contemporary looks and plain light colours. Black is around too, works well on those darker "feature walls". But brown wood - very old hat.

Jackie

Davkin
06-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Another reason I'll most likely never achieve commercial success as an artist. I hate "trends" and tend to ignore them or even outright rebel against them.

David

jackiesimmonds
06-26-2012, 11:44 AM
I completely understand, David. We have been trying to sell our house for some time. Complaint: kitchen too small. So, since everyone said the same thing, we hocked ourselves up to our eyebrows, and created the latest trend...a big kitchen diner. NOW the trend is to have a big kitchen-diner AND a basement area.
Keeping up with the trends can be exhausting.

But it's only a frame, and if the durn buyers need encouraging to part with their pennies, so be it, I will try to use a frame that will help the sale.

AnnaLisa
06-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Hi Jackie!

I watched you earlier today painting bread in a video that they showed
some parts of. You paint really good.

About the frames;

The thing I like with the frame no 2 is the inner gold colour that frame the
painting very well. I like frame no 1 also, simple and without mat.

jackiesimmonds
06-28-2012, 03:11 AM
glad you enjoyed the vid AnnaLisa.

Kathryn Wilson
06-28-2012, 05:21 PM
I like #4 - #1 and 2 are too heavy for the painting.

LOL - no matter what you put the painting in, a buyer will want something else.

jackiesimmonds
06-29-2012, 09:14 AM
How right you are, Kathryn!