PDA

View Full Version : June 23 Paintalong - Questions, comments, paintings relating to JUNE 23

sherrysherman
06-21-2012, 07:46 PM
Hi all--

Johannes has said that he will be working in OIL, and that the ratio of the painting is 3:4; his will be 18"x24". He has posted the ref photo and the drawing at the website referred to in his email; if you signed up for the sessions, you should have received this email by now. It is a NEW site with a NEW password - NOT the same as the last few June sessions.

Here's what I suggest be in this thread:
- Comments and questions about the June 23 Paintalong, including medium, size, palette, surface prep, etc.
- J's final painting
- Students' paintings based on the June 23 paintalong
- Comments and critiques about the paintings that are posted.

Please DON'T POST general discussion relating to the paintalongs as a whole, including comments about ustream, technical glitches, suggestions for future paintalongs, dates and times, "where's the thread for XYZ?", how awesome Johannes is for doing these, etc - those should go in the Paint Along Discussion thread, here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1114192
or in some other relevant thread.

EXCEPTION: Johannes can post anything he wants here.

Here's what NOT to post, here or anywhere: J's email or the link to get the photos, download the videos, etc, because those reveal the Secret Password. (Oh, and don't post the password.)

Shadow_2010
06-23-2012, 12:02 AM
Could someone explain the 3/4, 18/24 painting size and how we can use this information? I must have missed that class. Thank you.:)

sherrysherman
06-23-2012, 02:09 AM
Could someone explain the 3/4, 18/24 painting size and how we can use this information? I must have missed that class. Thank you.:)
This is the ratio of the short side to the longer side. You can see that 18 x 24 is a ratio of 3 (that is, 3 x 6" = 18") on the short side, to 4 (4 x 6" = 24") on the long side. Other sizes with the same ratio would be:
9x12 (that's 3 times 3" on the short side; 4 times 3" on the long side)
12 x 16 (3 times 4" = 12"; 4 times 4" = 16")
15 x 20 (3 times 5" = 15"; 4 x 5" = 20")
24 x 32 (3 times 8" = 24"; 4 x 8" = 32")
and so on.

For your drawing/painting to have the same proportions as Jo's, your paper or canvas should have the same ratio as his. It doesn't need to be the same size; just the same ratio.

Amandine
06-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Did I miss something ? Usually, if I want to watch a paint-along live, I go to Jo's website, click on "watch live class", then click on "go to video", etc. etc. to finally get to Ustream. But yesterday, I got a mail from WetCanvas Live with a "join webinar" sign saying I would be connected through "go to meeting". :confused:
I don't understand that mail. What will be the right way to watch the paint-along live ?

Rosemarie
06-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Did I miss something ? Usually, if I want to watch a paint-along live, I go to Jo's website, click on "watch live class", then click on "go to video", etc. etc. to finally get to Ustream. But yesterday, I got a mail from WetCanvas Live with a "join webinar" sign saying I would be connected through "go to meeting". :confused:
I don't understand that mail. What will be the right way to watch the paint-along live ?

That is just a reminder that there will be a webinar. You should have received a mail from Johannes after you registered where he tells you not to use Gotomeeting. Reread you mails.

Amandine
06-23-2012, 11:58 AM
That is just a reminder that there will be a webinar. You should have received a mail from Johannes after you registered where he tells you not to use Gotomeeting. Reread you mails.
Didn't receive that mail saying not to use gotomeeting, only the one mentioning that the demo will be on Saturdays instead of Sundays. (and nothing in my junk mail folder)
So, I understand that I should go to Jo's website as I used to. Thanks Rosemarie.

firesignart
06-23-2012, 12:24 PM
I paid, got the go to meeting email, registered, no password for this one yet...

Rosemarie
06-23-2012, 12:48 PM
amandine - johannes just sent new emails about 15 minutes ago

Amandine
06-23-2012, 01:47 PM
amandine - johannes just sent new emails about 15 minutes ago
Got it. Thanks. :)

Rosemarie
06-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Amindine - you are welcome!

jillmc3
06-23-2012, 08:40 PM
I tried to paint along with oils today - some parts I don't like (I was too tired to do much with the near shoreline/rocks, for example) but when I think about how much my painting has improved since I started studying with Johannes, I am thrilled! Can't wait till next week! Thank you, Jo! :thumbsup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2012/153055-6-23-paintalong.jpg

Tonalist
06-23-2012, 09:28 PM
what a great class today! thanks JO!

woody

chalet_dor
06-24-2012, 01:33 AM
So excited I can't sleep. Today was the first time I tried to paint a long with Jo. :clap: When I got stressed I stopped and will continue when I get the video. However, I just have to show off what I did yesterday, then maybe I can sleep.......: ))

chalet_dor
06-24-2012, 01:47 AM
This is the ratio of the short side to the longer side. You can see that 18 x 24 is a ratio of 3 (that is, 3 x 6" = 18") on the short side, to 4 (4 x 6" = 24") on the long side. Other sizes with the same ratio would be:
9x12 (that's 3 times 3" on the short side; 4 times 3" on the long side)
12 x 16 (3 times 4" = 12"; 4 times 4" = 16")
15 x 20 (3 times 5" = 15"; 4 x 5" = 20")
24 x 32 (3 times 8" = 24"; 4 x 8" = 32")
and so on.

For your drawing/painting to have the same proportions as Jo's, your paper or canvas should have the same ratio as his. It doesn't need to be the same size; just the same ratio.

Thank you so much for this chart. My math is sub normal! I will copy and paste this and print it out :cat:

elisamaria
06-24-2012, 10:14 AM
So happy to have been able to follow Johannes´s educational and fantastic Paint Along session. Thanks you so much! I enjoyed it very much and this is my result in pastel on Canson Mi-Teintes grey paper with Rembrandt and Girault sticks, 30x40cm
C&C most welcome!
Elisabeth

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2012/735472-P1070886.JPG

spudsmom
06-24-2012, 12:20 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2012/895452-DSC00123.jpg

Here is what I accomplished yesterday during class. I am learning an incredible amount but still have a good ways to go. I need to finish my trees, rocks, water and lighten my sky.

I think my mountains ROCK! :clap: Thank you for your instruction Jo!

Sherri

aka spudsmom38

Johannes Instructor
06-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Here it is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2012/135220-IMG_7829.jpg

Johannes Instructor
06-24-2012, 08:24 PM
The background mountain was too light in the photo

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2012/135220-IMG_7829.jpg

Amandine
06-24-2012, 09:00 PM
WOW !!!
Looking forward to the download to watch all what I missed.

pamshowcase
06-24-2012, 09:26 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2012/174457-jUNE23PAINTALONG.jpg Here is my paintalong. 9x12 acrylic on 140 CP. Great class, did my best. Pam
Having trouble with ipad, wouldnt upload and now pic is small??????? Does anyone know what to do?

Artsyme
06-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Here is my painting from Sunday's class
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2012/95504-june2012_011wcsized.jpg
Comments welcome!!

Rosemarie
06-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Saturday!!
You painted a lovely painting, Jane! I especially like the front part with the logs. The mountains are very good too!

chalet_dor
06-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Hello Janet
Looks to me like you are an experienced artist. Very nice.......dor:))

painterted
06-25-2012, 08:52 PM
I finally got a painting done after a couple of tries. Still not correct but I learnt lots. Joe these marathons are great, I can see improvements every week.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2012/909312-P6250036.jpg

Rosemarie
06-26-2012, 01:00 AM
Wow, this a fresh and beautiful watercolour, Ted!

Sgourlayart
06-26-2012, 03:15 AM
Fabulous watercolor Ted. Stu

paintncook
06-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Has Johannes posted the download for last Saturday yet? If so, I didn't get an email about it.

painterted
06-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Thanks Stu, Rosemarie.

ted

Sgourlayart
06-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Has Johannes posted the download for last Saturday yet? If so, I didn't get an email about it.
Not yet Kathy. Probably tomorrow would be my guess. Stu

Banner
06-27-2012, 06:41 AM
What A lovely water colour painting Ted

mickisew
06-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Johannes - Just finished downloading the four files and did a spot check. All seems to be working well. Thank you! Micki

chalet_dor
06-27-2012, 08:21 PM
All four downloaded extremely fast.......Thank you........dor:))

Johannes Instructor
06-27-2012, 11:38 PM
The last segment (finishing touches) I did during the week. You all did not see that on Saturday so you may want to start watching from there. I increased the quality on that one too.

chalet_dor
06-28-2012, 12:18 AM
The last segment (finishing touches) I did during the week. You all did not see that on Saturday so you may want to start watching from there. I increased the quality on that one too.

I am one of those people who will read the last chapter of a book and then go back and read the beginning. So it makes perfect sense to me! : )):smug:

“I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon myimagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” Albert Einstein

wcjan
06-28-2012, 11:09 AM
Hi All,

Does anyone have a list of what paints/pigments Johannes used on his palette? I was not able to view the Paint Along live - I only just started to watch the video, but at the beginning he already has his palette set up. I would like to try to paint along while watching the video, and knowing what paints to use would help me out greatly!

Jan

Sgourlayart
06-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Hi All,

Does anyone have a list of what paints/pigments Johannes used on his palette? I was not able to view the Paint Along live - I only just started to watch the video, but at the beginning he already has his palette set up. I would like to try to paint along while watching the video, and knowing what paints to use would help me out greatly!

JanHere are the links you need for Jo's classes. If it is a studio oil he will be using the extended palette, and for plein air oil the limited palette. For the paint alongs he is posting the reference photos, size ratio and medium well in advance and a drawing a day or two before the lesson. Here is the link for the palettes: http://improvemypaintings.com/palette.html. Stu

wcjan
06-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks so much, Stu!!! I have the link to the reference photos/drawings but somehow missed the link to the palettes

Jan

chalet_dor
06-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Hi All,

Jan

Oil -Winsor and Newtonartist's quality (I do not use Winton unless specified)

Extended Palette

Titanium White
ultramarine Blue
Cobalt Blue
Yellow Ochre Pale
Cadmium Yellow
Permanent Rose
Burnt Sienna
Indian Red (Winton)
Viridian
Winsor Violet

Limited Palette
Titanium White

WinsorLemon (http://www.winsornewton.com/products/oil-colours/artists-oil-colour/colour-chart/winsor-lemon/)
ultramarine Blue
Yellow Ochre Pale
Permanent Rose
Burnt Sienna

Watercolor -Winsor andNewton artist's quality (not Cotman)

Raw Sienna
Burnt Sienna
Transparent Yellow
Ultramarine Blue
Cobalt Blue
Permanent Rose (only if I want neutral orange)
Indian Red
Hooker's Green
Winsor VioletI use others on the side but the above are my work horses.

Acrylics-Chroma AtelierInteractive:

http://www.chromaonline.com/ (http://www.chromaonline.com/)

Yellow Ochre
Burnt Sienna
Ultramarine Blue
Indian Yellow
Orange
Indian Red Oxide
Dioxazine Purple
Cobalt Blue
Cobalt Green
Titanium White

lorigina
06-28-2012, 07:51 PM
That's beautiful, Ted.

xli
07-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Here is my June 23th paint along. I finily finish it now and I am posting it here as my record for finishing the painting. Thank you Jo for a great lesson.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2012/979242-IMG_5704.JPG

xli
07-01-2012, 07:32 PM
I didn't know the sky is soooo red. I will make some corrections.......

A second thought, I may leave it as is. It sort of gives it a mood.

gourdalicious
07-02-2012, 10:38 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2012/990382-IMG_3944.JPG

I'm making an effort this week to finish up the previous weeks ptgs which were all in pan pastels (first attempts ever in pastel!) Having major issues getting any detail in the small format paper I'm using, though I did finally get a basic set of sticks. Can't thank Jo enough for the paint-alongs....I might not ever have tried painting again after all these years without them.

Vida Evenson
07-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Hi all!

I just signed up for this paint-along. I downloaded the first one along with the palette cam but on my mac I can't get VLC player to play both at the same time. Anybody else have this problem and how can I watch the two at the same time?

Thanks!

Vida

Rosemarie
07-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Hi all!

I just signed up for this paint-along. I downloaded the first one along with the palette cam but on my mac I can't get VLC player to play both at the same time. Anybody else have this problem and how can I watch the two at the same time?

Thanks!

Vida

I don't use Vcl player much on my Mac. You can use QuickTime to open the .flv files. QuickTimes is free and it comes with every Mac and it is free. You can open several windows with QT.

For PC users is there also a QuickTime version, downloadable from Apple

Johannes Instructor
07-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Hi all!

Thanks!

Vida
realplayer also plays flv files

Rosemarie
07-03-2012, 12:09 PM
I don't use Vcl player much on my Mac. You can use QuickTime to open the .flv files. QuickTimes is free and it comes with every Mac and it is free. You can open several windows with QT.

For PC users is there also a QuickTime version, downloadable from Apple

Forgot to say that you can use save as in QuickTime and save the videos as .mov files.

Alta Imp
07-05-2012, 09:14 PM
I didn't have a 3:4 ratio for this so it is on a 16X20 canvas panel...oil. Barb

nancysue10
07-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Ive been away so I missed his class starting on the 23rd. I paid my money and tried down loading the videos. First it starts after he has prepped his canvas and I am wondering if anyone can tell me what he used? Also the rest of the videos are just duplicates of the first one which ends when he needs to clean his palette. Don't know whats going on but really want to try to do this. It is such a beautiful painting. Also since I didn't register but bought the videos after the fact I don't know how to find the ref photo or the drawing/ Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rosemarie
07-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Nancy - I think you have to download them again. Take one at the time.

sherrysherman
07-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Ive been away so I missed his class starting on the 23rd. I paid my money and tried down loading the videos. First it starts after he has prepped his canvas and I am wondering if anyone can tell me what he used? Also the rest of the videos are just duplicates of the first one which ends when he needs to clean his palette. Don't know whats going on but really want to try to do this. It is such a beautiful painting. Also since I didn't register but bought the videos after the fact I don't know how to find the ref photo or the drawing/ Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure what you mean by the sentence in bold. You say you paid for these four sessions, but did not "register"?? If you mean you did not attend the actual paintalong, that makes no difference.

So long as you (a) paid and (b) filled out the gotomeeting reg form, Joe will have your email address. He sends out emails with a link to a site that contains the password, the ref photos, and his drawings. That page has a black background.

If you never filled out the gotomeeting reg form, you need to do that. Open your confirmation email from Northlight for the class. Scroll down to near the bottom, where you will see instructions in red "To complete your registration, please visit ...." and a link to the gotomeeting reg page. You MUST do that. After you complete the gotomeeting registration, you should WAIT and after 10 seconds or so, your browser will automatically go to the page with password, ref photos, and drawings.

If this does not answer your question, please restate it. Thanks.

nancysue10
07-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks so much for help
One more little question, what did he mean when he said he used a special white under painting ? Did he just use titanium white thinned down?
Thank you

Johannes Instructor
07-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Thanks so much for help
One more little question, what did he mean when he said he used a special white under painting ? Did he just use titanium white thinned down?
Thank you
underpainting white from Winsor and Newton. It is a faster drying white.

painteriam
07-11-2012, 01:29 PM
I am not sure how all of you get the weekly paintings finished so fast. I guess that I am pokey.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2012/139791-IMG_7541.JPG

LADickerman
07-13-2012, 10:29 PM
I was looking through the paintings and saw one that was really nice and then I realized it was Jo's. LOL I think we are all improving nicely from his classes and paintalongs. I went back and looked at my beginning ones and I know I have improved.
Here is mine from the paintalong video in Panpastel.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2012/188330-23June_Paintalong_Pans.jpg
I think it looks pretty blurry in this picture.
Lori Anne

paintncook
07-13-2012, 11:50 PM
I didn't have a 3:4 ratio for this so it is on a 16X20 canvas panel...oil. Barb
You did a great job on this, love the treatment on the mountains and water!

spudsmom
07-21-2012, 08:12 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2012/895452-DSC00165.jpg

Here is my finished June 23 rd painting. Does anyone know where this is?
I learned so much about painting mountains during this paint along session. Thank you Jo!

I haven't decided whether to attempt to put the logs underwater or not. For now I'm calling it finished.

Mountains ROCK!:clap:

Sherri