PDA

View Full Version : Got My Dakota Sampler Today.

mickeyw3340
06-21-2012, 05:40 PM
I ordered the Green Soft Sampler. Now I can try all the much loved brands that you all talk so much about. I already know I love my Rembrandt half stick set, and that I think the Sennelier set I bought at Jerry's in Knoxville, TN are way too fragile for my taste.

Jason1616
06-21-2012, 05:52 PM
AWESOME!! Be sure to let us know what you think. My personal favorites are Mount Vision and Schmincke.

You are not the first person to complain about Sennies being too crumbly!

chuas2
06-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Hi Mickey,
Glad you got a sampler; this is THE best way to try all of the different brands!

It's ironic that a lot of people "start" with Sennelier, because they have a terrific range of colors, but I think of them as being an "advanced" pastel because of the varying degrees of consistency. Their dark blue/greens and bright lights are incomparable, but Giraults are my "workhorse" pastels because of their uniform consistency. At any rate, the hunt for the "perfect" pastel is the best part!
Kris

LucyJane
06-25-2012, 06:17 PM
I just ordered one of lights and one of the greens and a paper sampler. As a newbie to the medium I thought samplers would be a good way for me to start while not making a huge committment. I've also ordered a massive set of the Munyo ones to be my main grinders while I get a few skills and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the Exotic ones.

I currently own a Schminke that scares me to pieces it's so soft, but it is gorgeous. I'd like to see a photo of the soft greens you got!

KuriYokan
06-27-2012, 07:11 AM
Good that you got your sampler. I agree that the 1st time you pick a Schmincke up, it will be scary. Especially when I started out with only 36 CretaColour Hard pastels. When you get used to touching or just grazing the paper with it, you'll find that it works really well.