PDA

View Full Version : Workshops in Europe? HELP

soap
06-26-2003, 01:15 PM
Hello my friends,
I've posted this in the portraiture forum as well, but am trying my luck here too.

Can anybody help me/advise me on where and how to find good workshops for portraiture/figure painting? I hear Americans talk about workshops with very famous artists - no doubt learning a lot. But if I look around in the UK (Where to look anyway???) all I find is amateur watercolour courses. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not for me. Has anybody ever heard of a good workshop/course/holiday where I can learn from a master in portraiture? Do any of these 'great Americans' every cross the pond and give a workshop here? Would not mind learning from Daniel Greene at all! Or Scott Burdick, my latest discovery.....
Or shall I just stick to my books, internet and museums?

Thanks!

Christel
06-26-2003, 01:39 PM
Hello Soap,

you can try in Paris if you want :

WWW.pastellistesdefrance.com

there are some workshops

soap
06-26-2003, 01:44 PM
Thanks Christel, but the website does not work....

bnoonan
06-26-2003, 01:54 PM
Sophie - I'll check the pastel journal and see when they are traveling to Europe if at all. It seems to me some art magazine must talk about workshops being offered.

B

soap
06-26-2003, 01:58 PM
Yes, the English magazine 'The Artist' does, but for that sort of money to spend, one needs a bit more info....and I must admit, the tutor's work does not always appeal to me personally......and again....loads of landscape, watercolour etc. Check the 'International Artist Magazine' and there is a whole section on painting holidays.....most are landscapes (well you are on holiday in a beautiful country I suppose) and mostly wc. Barb, you had that workshop where you painted portraits outside....somebody talked about Daniel Greene....
It would be really great if somebody told us of their experiences! What is worth it, and what was not? Should we stick to books and art classes in the local primary school?

Anyway...am curious what you all can suggest.

bnoonan
06-26-2003, 02:52 PM
Sent you an e-mail to your web site that may be helpful. sorry - WC kicked me off for a few minutes.

B

artbabe21
06-26-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by soap
Or Scott Burdick, my latest discovery.....

Oh, YES! Have you seen his demos on WC?????????? Fabulous!!

soap
06-26-2003, 03:07 PM
Demo's on WetCanvas?? or was that not what you meant? If so.......WHERE??

Dyin
06-26-2003, 03:41 PM
just did a search for that demo....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Oils/RuthPortrait/

now gotta go read it!

artbabe21
06-26-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by soap
Demo's on WetCanvas?? or was that not what you meant? If so.......WHERE??

Thanks Dyin.....this Ruth portrait is SO awesome...I am sure he has another demo too, gere on WC...:D

He was doing a demo at an art retreat near here last year but I didn't get up there for it...sob...:(

flower
06-26-2003, 05:18 PM
Hi,

Im looking desperately in Germany for someone who gives figure and portrait classes, would be prepared to travel to France or England, here in my area is NOTHING and i mean NOTHING, when its done from the night school the classes usuall fall through cos theres not enough people who want to attend I would be interested to know what the potential is for someone who would come and conduct courses.................please HELP

soap
06-26-2003, 05:18 PM
Thanks guys! Am gonna read that very carefully!

Mo.
06-26-2003, 07:15 PM
Sophie... wish I could help, but cannot unfortunately I'll check out Scott's demo for sure though.

Originally posted by flower
Hi,

Im looking desperately in Germany for someone who gives figure and portrait classes, would be prepared to travel to France or England, here in my area is NOTHING and i mean NOTHING, when its done from the night school the classes usuall fall through cos theres not enough people who want to attend I would be interested to know what the potential is for someone who would come and conduct courses.................please HELP

Patricia I'm amazed that your classes fall through... are these college classes?... we have private and council run educational classes here, I prefer the educational ones, as I qualify for free class, minimal fees, our classes close during the summer months, then start again in September, following the school terms.
Let me know if you reqyire more info.

Cheers,
Mo.

flower
06-26-2003, 07:29 PM
Hi Mo,

Thanks for responding, this is the problem..........we have the night school classes as they are called in england, Volkshochschule in germany, there also held in the day and at week-ends, we have a book that comes out for the year, different classes, watercolours, pastels, oilpastels etc., great you put yout name down and expect to go on the class, but there must be at least 8 people who register, and what happens, it dosnt reach the quota that they have set so you get a telephone call in the week before the class telling you its fallen through, its so ANNOYING...............i have never been on a pastel course, ive learnt everything by myself, the same with watercolour and acryl, i haver bought over 40 books on painting and sketching, but at some point i want to go to a class and learn with others. I spent a week-end last year on a figure drawing week-end, it was wonderful, i learnt so much and felt that this was my direction, i wanted to go further with it, guess what......................this woman was the only person in this area that did these courses and she does it only 2 times a year and thats it....................................i need help to find courses on pastel and figure/portrait drawing.......help

soap
06-27-2003, 03:26 AM
What a shame Patricia! But I know....I signed up for a life class at the local college and it got cancelled for the same reason. I am very grateful to have found a place where I can draw from life. But I would so like to learn from some real contemporary masters. At my own drawing class I learn and progress, but it is without help. Just on my own. It is nice to see one's own progress but somebody challenging you is a good thing too.

I'll keep looking!
And what a surprise to find those demo's on here! There are two so far as I could find, and one by his wife.
Thank God for that list of articles that the front page of WC refers to, because most articles get snowed under otherwise.
Am off reading them!!

jackiesimmonds
06-27-2003, 03:58 AM
If you are looking for pastel portrait workshops, why not contact THE PASTEL SOCIETY in London (Royal Society of British Artists, Mall Galleries) - I know that they have lists of member artists who offer workshops. If you specify that you want portrait, you might strike lucky.

As for figure pastel workshops, contact Charmain Edgerton on 0208 647 1054. She does good figure teaching, and has workshops at various times and in various places.

There is a painting holiday directory - not sure how you get hold of this, but you could ask the girls at The Artist magazine, they will know ......01580 763315.

Sam D'Ambruoso, is doing a portrait painting workshop for 5 days in Florence, in Italy - November 8-15, using live model , a special programe with the Uffizi Museum. Email: [email protected]

Doug Dawson is doing workshops all over the US, but doesn't seem as tho he is doing anything in the UK. You could write to him at 8622West 44th Place, Wheat Ridge. CO 80033 to ask if he is planning a trip to the UK.

Jackie

soap
06-27-2003, 04:00 AM
Thanks Jackie! I'll go check out your suggestions!

flower
06-29-2003, 03:38 PM
Hi Jackie,

Thanks for the tips ill certainly check out what you have written thanks again