PDA

View Full Version : oh please help!

mayelf
06-26-2003, 04:10 AM
Hello everyone!

I'm new to WC, but I love it so far.

It brings so much inspiration to my life when I thought I had lost it all..

I prayed for God to help me and help guide me and all of a sudden I was looking at this webpage out of nowhere.. what a miracle to my life I must say.... such fabulous inspiration...

Well past my little introduction of myself---
I'm not quite sure where to post this but this section fits best I think.

I have this idea of what to draw.. probably painted with pastel..
I see it clearly in my mind.. wrote a page full of how it should feel and look.. but now.. the problem is I really don't think my skills would ever allow me to do something this extreme.

So I was curious to what others might do in a case like this? I really would hate for this idea to ever go to waste. Should I give my idea away? Make it to the best I can and test how far I can go on it? Work on my skills then if the idea can ever refresh itself, tackle it?

Anyways, any ideas on what you do in situations like this would be very helpful, thankyou :)

People do go through situations like this right?

Because I really can't figure out what to do at all with this really great idea... :confused:

Paintbrush74
06-26-2003, 10:13 AM
Hi May,

I have no idea what your idea is, and I don't know where you are spiritually, but you said that you prayed to God. If God is the One Who gave you the idea, then whom are you doubting, yourself or God? You are welcome to PM me if you'd like.

Lenora

paintfool
06-26-2003, 01:50 PM
You will not know if your current skills are up to the challenge of creating this piece until you do it. Forget about perfection at this point. If we focus on trying to do everything perfectly we will not get the most out of the creative experience.
I have found myself in your shoes on more than one occasion and the easiest way to get past it is to start on the project. I look at each painting as a learning experience and to prolong that learning experience for fear of not getting it 'right' the first time around will not only serve to deny you the chance to learn but it will eventually make you lose the passion and inspiration for the painting.
I think you should get out your materials and go for it! :) You will see as you go along what needs to be changed or re-done and the second worst thing that can happen is the you'll have to start over. It's only canvas/paper etc. It's ok to scrap one now and again. The very worst thing that can happen is that you'll forever wonder if it can be done because you didn't try.

CarlyHardy
06-26-2003, 02:09 PM
Cheryl said what I would have said! She's right about not knowing about your current skills until you put them to the test!

But the important thing is to "give yourself permission to fail"...don't put pressure on yourself to create a masterpiece the first time round. Relax, enjoy the doing of art, as well as the outcome.

It took me over 100 paintings on location to just begin to feel like I knew what I was doing...and I'm still in the learning stage!

So, I say, go for it!
carly

mayelf
06-26-2003, 03:58 PM
i think i just put way too much pressure on myself for perfection and so all of your words right now are extrememly helpful. I guess it's just really hard to not want to fail and just go straight to making this thing perfect.

Well thank you all..
hopefully i will be able to step out of this procrastination stage and just start working... :)

CarlyHardy
06-26-2003, 07:18 PM
You might like to read thru this thread....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114232

It deals with the Anxiety of Beginning a New Painting.
carly

RobinZ
06-27-2003, 01:13 PM
I have a suggestion for you, something that worked for me. When I decided to work on portraits in colored pencil, the first one I did was horrid. I decided to work on facial "body parts" for a while. I got magazines and drew noses, then eyes, then lips then mouths with full smiles, etc. I did lots and lots of these. Then I picked a project here at Wetcanvas. I picked "Kids and their Pets"

I risked nothing by trying it and I got lots of feedback that helped me (plus I found out how much fun drawing animals is!). Now I've done a bunch of full animal portraits, have some kids in line to work on, and even got my first "stranger" commission! I had been ready to give up.

Are you biting off more than you can currently chew? If you go for it and you don't like the results, step back and practice the components of what makes up what you want to accomplish.

I tried my hand at landscape and it was awful. Larry came to the rescue and pointed out that I wasn't seeing or painting the distinct features...I was seeing blobs, missing lights and darks...just awful. (Thanks again, Larry!)

My husband said, "why don't you paint some leaves, then one tree, then move up to your forest?" That works for me. Otherwise, it's overwhelming. My minds eye sees what my hands can't yet accomplish. Keep your idea in mind and work on the technical aspects that will get you able to accomplish it.

Use WC. There are so many talented and hardworking folks here who very generously give of them time to people like you and me. Post your work and ask for dead-frank critiques. And sign up for projects! I just signed up for 2 of them that will take me off my path to try something new. It's fun and it's motivating.

mayelf
06-27-2003, 01:53 PM
Oh thankyou robin!

That was definetly good advice for me. It's kinda like the motto "one step at a time"

I'm being overwhelmed by wanting to do something i havent tried when really all i should do is step back and take baby steps at it.

And yes i definetly agree this is a great place to come for help into getting to where i want to go with my art.

art is always learning anyways :)

thankyou everyone..
i'm feeling so much better already :)

timelady
06-29-2003, 01:45 PM
Go for it! I've had paintings in my head that still aren't right. I've had a couple of specific subjects that I just keep trying to paint. They are getting closer but still not quite there. I've been painting the HMS Belfast for about 5 years. :) I still can't paint cranes....(as in the construction ones, not the birds :D)

Do what you can and see how you feel about it. You can revisit it later. Do bits and work up, also remember to move around the painting. Don't get caught up in one bit if the exact details aren't right. Leave it a while and move to the background or another part of the painting. Have fun. :)

Tina.

DanaT
07-01-2003, 04:07 PM
Hi!

I painted people for the longest time and when I sat outside to do a landscape, it was so overwhelming - so much detail.

The teacher was very helpful but instead of having us pick out a single leaf or tree, he told us to simplify the entire landscape in four simple shapes - sky (lightest), ground (medium light), mountains (medium dark), and trees (darkest). It worked and I got a landscape that looked like a landscape.

Since then, whenever I've had trouble with something that is beyond my capabilities, I remember his words, and SIMPLIFY the WHOLE thing, rather work on just one component of the piece (which most likely I'll work on in too much detail to begin with).

Especially if the idea is my own, I want to keep it fresh in my mind and the best way to do that is to work the whole thing, just simpler and increase the complexity as I go along.

Hope this helps.

RobinZ
07-02-2003, 02:43 PM
Dana, that's great advice!

blackdragon
07-16-2003, 11:08 AM
I know the fear you are feeling, but remeber this, "like beauty, perfection is in the eye of the beholder", artists are their own worst critics. Some (me included) will never be satisfied with any of their creations. The hardest part for me is knowing when to call it finished. I usually do the best I can the fisrt time around, then put it away for a while (a day, week, month) then go back to it and see what it looks like. If an artist had to wait for perfection, we all be sitting around twiddling our thumbs and there would be no great works to inspire.;)

paintinpat
07-16-2003, 02:55 PM
From Paintbrush74 is enough food for thought for me for a few days....thanks Lenore..

If God is the One Who gave you the idea, then whom are you doubting, yourself or God?

Pat

Paintbrush74
07-17-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by paintinpat
From Paintbrush74 is enough food for thought for me for a few days....thanks Lenore..

If God is the One Who gave you the idea, then whom are you doubting, yourself or God?

Pat

Quite welcome, Pat!:D