GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Moonlight
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 5/7
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A proof of concept painting. I have only ever painted one nightscape, so I thought it wise to practice on it a bit more before I attempted a larger piece.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
colour, movement, composition, just general stuff.

tylerminix1231
06-19-2012, 03:38 PM
It's supposed to be a road. I didn't spend any time on it. My main focus was the sky, trees, and trying to get the lighting down. Let me know what you think about this.

Thanks and God bless,
Tyler.

Spyderbabe
06-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Liking it. Whats the gray rectangle in the right foreground? a parking lot? necessary?

tylerminix1231
06-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Yes, it is a parking lot. I painted it from memory, but it really could be anything. It adds no value to the painting at all. In my opinion. I could be wrong; as I often am. ;)

Avena Cash
06-19-2012, 04:36 PM
everything should contribute fully or else be absent in my opinion; a painting can't have irrelevant parts

good practice in handling paint, looks like you had fun, the sky and ground do not look like they go together for a number of reasons

crazywoman53
06-19-2012, 04:59 PM
I love the feeling and expression of stroke you have in the sky and the tree. I'd suggest you do the foreground in similar lose stroke and do away with the road and the parking lot and let the focus be on the sky. The foreground is too "rigid" for the movement of the sky and creates opposition to me. Just my opinion for what it is worth.

bocote
06-20-2012, 05:21 PM
Lets call the parking lot negative space; this space is as relevant as the subject, but it might not contain anything. All the pieces work together, but some might not have paint on them.

I'm happy with your work here. Stroke has some energy. Palette seems predictable - perhaps next time examine the scene and make notes as what is happening with the color. Composition is a bit slanted - try to keep the viewer in the picture.

Have fun

Andrewcody
06-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Tyler, you have said it yourself, you focused on the top and it shows, the top half is quite lovely, live sensual lines. The bottom is a different painting, squares. lines, flats, no liveliness.

You could cut this off above where the white center line on the road starts and have a much more interesting painting - try scrolling down and you will see what I mean

Andrew

Coen1
06-21-2012, 05:21 AM
Parts of it remind me of Van Gogh, your brushstrokes work well. Would have loved to see some moonlight on the tree. The line on the road is too light, I think, and could have gotten some more attention. There must have been a storm, according to the bending of the tree. There is no other clear evidence of a storm, but maybe I'm misjudging here (and everywhere:) ).
Il like your painting.