PDA

View Full Version : experiment with spectrafix and golden matt medium

barriespapa
06-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Hi yuall
I decided to take the last small plein air I did and I applied 5 coats of spectrifix let it dry really good and then applied golden matte medium with a synthetic brush. I applied 2 coats letting them dry between. they were applied in two different directions. The reason I tried this was when I asked for a price on framing my building painting using museum glass the price for the glass was 188.00 dollars. I am finding that when I have finished a painting that I like having it framed under glass is criminal a good painting should be viewable from any place in the room in my opinion. So why should I try to sell a painting with glass,to anyone else. I would like to hear your opinions on this. this is the results of the experiment.
David
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2012/448181-DSC_0284.JPG

Donna T
06-19-2012, 06:20 PM
That's really interesting David. Were your colors affected at all and does any pastel come off now?

MChesleyJohnson
06-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Yes, what Donna asked! I'd like to know, too. The pastel certainly seems to retain that "pastel look."

barriespapa
06-20-2012, 04:46 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2012/448181-DSC_0286.JPG Hi Donna and Micheal the painting is completely secured I can actually wash it However In terms of color change it appears that it has darkened some what overnight If this is the case then it was the golden medium that has darkened it I shall post the painting again for you to look at and see what you think

Davkin
06-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Are you sure it was just the Golden Medium? I tried Spectra Fix once and it darkened my painting, not only that the sprayer would not spray evenly and I had some blotchyness and I never used it again.

David

barriespapa
06-21-2012, 12:40 AM
Hi David I am not 100 % sure but there was no noticeable darkness before I applied the golden medium. I made a mistake in doing this in that I did not record the exact camera settings and light conditions assuring that the camera conditions were the exact same. But I can tell you that the painting certainly was darker the following morning than it was the in the evening when it was completely dry. When using sectra fix You have to apply very sparsly and several coats,some people have advised as many as ten very light coats I used only five. after 5 I was able to rub with my finger, lightly, and take of no pastel. I plan to try this again under stricter conditions and will leave the painting overnight with just the spectrafix applied if it turns darker overnight again we will know the culprit for sure .
David
David

Davkin
06-21-2012, 01:35 AM
I would suggesting doing a simple test using a control sample rather than using a painting. Take swipes of several different colors and values of pastels on three different pieces of paper. Leave one sample alone, only use the Spectra fix on the second and use both Spectra Fix and the Golden medium on the third, that way you have a direct comparison and won't need to rely on a camera to record the results.

David

sketchZ1ol
06-21-2012, 09:45 AM
hello
the piece looks a lot duller than the thread in the studio .
nuances are lost as well .

there is an australian woman who uses brushed acrylic in several stages of her painting
and is aware of the effects/results .
if i remember correctly , the med-lights/lights are the final layer(s) ,
and several gentle layers of spray fix are then applied .
> the objective is the same as yours = no glass .

i've made some paintings with multiple layers/fixings on paper .
it's not so good to spray outside when it's below 50F ...
the last layers were untreated .

Ed :}

barriespapa
06-21-2012, 11:16 AM
I agree Ed there is a definite loss of brightness I am going to take David suggestion and I will show the results.
David Thanks for the idea it certainly makes more sense why didn't I think of that Dah.

barriespapa
06-21-2012, 04:14 PM
I have done as David suggested and i made 4 swatches 1 is pastel only marked original another with six coats of spectrafix only where there is a slight darkening I also noticed that the more coats applied the darker it became I also experimented with the amounts of coats of the fix to see how few coats can be covered with medium and the answer is five at four the medium disturbs the pastel coming of on the brush. so six seems to be a safe amount. there are 2 swatches of six coats of fix and one has been done with a gloss medium and the other with a matte finish the brighter of the 2 is the gloss. I then tried placing it beside a framed pastel with glass and there appeared to be no reflections from it in comparison to the framed painting so it may be suitable to use gloss as it does not seem to lose as much of the brightness. here are the swatches. Something else worthwhile mentioning is that after six coats of spectrafix the swatch could be rubbed agressively without any smudging or removal of pastel.only draw back of course is the slight darkening which I consider to be a bit too much with only one coat the darkening is hardly noticeable,but will smudge if rubbed.
David
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2012/448181-DSC_0288.JPG