PDA

View Full Version : A Path I Haven't Walked

draggingsticks
06-19-2012, 08:48 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2012/29065-plein-air-pochade-14-landscape-path-keith-johnson-acrylic-wv-west-virginia-2012-series-landscape-tree-mountains-morning-light-impressionism-impressionistic.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: A Path I Haven't Walked
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Painted plein air

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
looking for ways to improve

eyecandy2
06-19-2012, 10:32 AM
No picture!

tgsloth
06-19-2012, 12:23 PM
I believe the first thing to do is start painting masses. You've built up your various forms by dabbing spots of paint. Don't do that. Look at the scene and simplify it in your mind by identifying just a few masses of similar value. Sketch them in and then fill them with paint of roughly the right hue and value. Your painting then has a backbone, a structure. Then you work in your details on top of the mass layers. Try it!

draggingsticks
06-19-2012, 05:33 PM
thanks tgsloth, i will give it a go.

eyecandy2
06-20-2012, 11:01 AM
I think that your strong use of comliments, purple and yellow can work but I think that they should be muted. The contrast here is too strong

Spyderbabe
06-20-2012, 03:01 PM
The dappled look on the foreground tree is interesting but stands out as a single element. What if you repeated the same colors in it (the blues,the lavenders ) in the dappled lights on the path? The splashed of yellow on the right look a little slapdash. In a scene like this I like to put a touch of color at the end of the path. A couple of SPECKS of cad orange maybe?

bocote
06-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Others have hit on the major problems; I agree. Before making the first stroke visualize and know how the painting is going to unfold. Personally I would recommend opening up your palette and study color over form for the moment.

have fun,

draggingsticks
06-20-2012, 08:30 PM
thanks everyone
@bocote how do i study color? could you explain?

Coen1
06-21-2012, 05:28 AM
A nice impression which could be even stronger. Would love to see more depth in it, so the path looked endless (and was really worth to you trying it, since you never walked it so far).

Debzy
06-21-2012, 08:51 AM
I am enjoying looking at this painting and the colours very much. I agree, some more detail in the foreground I think would push the path further back and add to the mystery of the path never walked yet! =))

draggingsticks
06-21-2012, 09:29 AM
thanks Debzy, I think i am going to repaint it on a much larger scale and make some adjustments.