Dimension: 12 X16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Impressionist style.colourful....hping to convey a peaceful,happy scene

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Has it worked...do any areas need improving

lunchbox
06-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Yes, it is a happy scene :) The background mountains are especially good. One area you might want to revisit is the white on the horizon which follows around the top tree line and mountains rather than staying horizontal.

Andrewcody
06-18-2012, 10:28 PM
How do boats get from the water to the boat house and vice versa?

leisure artist
06-19-2012, 03:52 AM
Andrew there is a slipway on the otherside of the building and they are winched in!!!

leisure artist
06-19-2012, 03:55 AM
Thanks lunchbox....you are very helpful and encouraging....Christine:)

Andrewcody
06-19-2012, 05:32 AM
Christine, ok :)

eyecandy2
06-19-2012, 10:39 AM
All of your values are middle values making your painting look flat. You need more variation of values to add depth and more detail in the forground. The clouds in the sky need more definition. No shadows. Where is the light coming from. The composition is good but you still have some work to do.

crazywoman53
06-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Definitely a happy scene. YOu have made several planes to indicate depth but now you need to look closely at the hues and values of green you have used. They all seem to be very similar. If you make the mountain more blue it will recede more and not appear to be on the same plane as the trees behind the house. Remember the more things recede the lighter and more blue they become.You can revisit the greens in this and make a big difference. Keep painting and submitting so we can watch you grow. :)

leisure artist
06-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Thanks for your comments phil......i agree the clouds need more work,there is a range of different values which perhaps havnt shown up very well on the photo....will take another look at it tho...Christine:)

crazywoman53
06-19-2012, 04:55 PM
I know how hard it is to get good photos so if the photo is cheating you please ignore my comments. :)

leisure artist
06-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Thanks Christine...i agree the mountains should be bluer....aerial perspective of course......will make a few changes....i will keep painting and submitting,loving this new challenge:)

tgsloth
06-20-2012, 07:21 AM
When I looked at your image, the first thing that hit me was that the colors are too bright, too intense. I appreciate that there are technical issues which other critics have commented on but the issue of color intensity is lurking underneath and I'd like to just comment on that. Most master artists work with muted colors which allow the light/dark values to play a more prominent role in the work. Us non master artists get tempted to use those bright colors right out of the tube. After all, didn't the wonderful French impressionists do that? Actually no. I attach a Monet, perhaps the most famous impressionist and look how the greens are all muted and quiet. Same with the blues. So try working with muted colors, either earth tones or mixtures and you'll take a step forward.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2012/124239-monet_bathing.jpg

leisure artist
06-21-2012, 05:59 AM
:) tgsloth....thanks for your critique....monet is one of my favourite artists,saw a lot of his work in paris....will make some changes,as suggested ,take your point about muted colours.,will try that for future pieces....christine